Crit racing at Stromlo

HAKS

Re: Crit racing at Stromlo

Postby HAKS » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:38 am

a lap by yourself on an empty track is not really an indication of how you would go. Trust me there are ppl in Apprendiz that would prob lap 2.20s by themselves but drafting 20+ riders (AT) 35km/h carries them around pretty quickly. Best thing to do is familiarise yourself with the track and what corners you can pedal through etc :)
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)

vinvin

Postby vinvin » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:19 am

Hey, can you pedal through the bottom corner (going clockwise)? You know the one where there is a bit of a chicane and then a hard right turn? I wasn't sure so I stopped pedalling and I was thinking "well this probably isn't right" lol.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:41 am

vinvin wrote:Hey, can you pedal through the bottom corner (going clockwise)? You know the one where there is a bit of a chicane and then a hard right turn? I wasn't sure so I stopped pedalling and I was thinking "well this probably isn't right" lol.
I take it you didn't notice all of the gouges in the surface of the track at that corner.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

DavidH

Postby DavidH » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:55 pm

Whether you can pedal through a corner or not will depend on how fast you are going and how much you're leaning. On the Stromlo circuit you can generally pedal through most corners, but I usually play it safe. A pedal strike scares the bejeesus out of you...or worse. I did it once on the Geoscience car park crit circuit...back wheel jumped sideways about 20 cm but I was lucky and stayed upright. Took a nice chunk out of the pedal though.

yyeric

Postby yyeric » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:00 pm

Viking's SuperCrit will be on from 13 Jan
http://www.vikingscycling.org.au/events ... IntCatId=3
10 race pointscore series for all grades

Bantam Roosta

Postby Bantam Roosta » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:12 pm

Well I finally got into the top 10. Admittedly there were only 15 in the field tonight. Finished with a 9th place. I'm happy with that. My goal has been to score some points. Next goal is a top 5.

Mick Rogers was racing tonight. His new bike is beautiful. It's a Pinarello Dogma 60.1. Black with electric blue trimming. It's nice to see the big names come and mix it up a bit. Vicki Whitelaw is also a regular when she is in town.

LoveB

Postby LoveB » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:08 pm

Didnt know there was one tonight :o was at stomlo earlier and would have loved to watch. Maybe on the 13th

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:40 pm

Bantam Roosta wrote:Well I finally got into the top 10. Admittedly there were only 15 in the field tonight. Finished with a 9th place. I'm happy with that. My goal has been to score some points. Next goal is a top 5.

Mick Rogers was racing tonight. His new bike is beautiful. It's a Pinarello Dogma 60.1. Black with electric blue trimming. It's nice to see the big names come and mix it up a bit. Vicki Whitelaw is also a regular when she is in town.
Well done :). Was thinking yesterday I bet Rogers would have been there last night.

Ross

Postby Ross » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:05 pm

Please be aware that there is no racing for two weeks due to TDU and Australia Day holiday. Next Race 2nd February. Can people please refrain from parking on the road into SFP as riders use this area to warm up and it is beginning to get dangerous.

CapitalSummer Criterium is on Saturday 22nd Jan. A new race to the capital as part of a multi sport festival coordinated by triathlon ACT. If you are around, get down and race. http://res.au.eventdirector.net/TACT/SI ... geID=21080

yyeric

Postby yyeric » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:28 am

Raced in ME yesterday. not a very big turn out.

ME/MF only got 5 in the group with some other female riders (perhaps D grade), i believe.

Went solo on 4th lap, and didn't get chased back until the end. Quite happy with the solo effort.

Then joined the MD race about 5 mins after the finish.... stayed in the pack for 35mins and was out 11mins to go.

Good fun though. Wll start in MD next time.

LoveB

Postby LoveB » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:33 am

I came out to watch and take some photos last night. Was there around 7- 7:30 so perhaps I have a photo of you :shock:

yyeric

Postby yyeric » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:27 pm

i took off at 7 so you probably got photos on the A grade people.
love to see some photo though :)

yyeric

Postby yyeric » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:56 pm

Got bumped up to MD for some reason at Viking's SuperCrit. Not all bad though, at least don't need to leave work early anymore.

MC+MD+WB on the line together for the 6PM start.

Field got split early in the race by C grade riders with the assist of cross-winds. I got caught in no-man land between MC pack and MD pack.

Riding duo with another guy for almost 10 laps, hated every bit of today's wind!!!! Got caught back to MD pack at around 8 to go. Smooth riding to get my heart rate back to around 160.

Kicked again at 2 laps to go. Gained around 50km from the MD pack, then only got out-sprinted at the line.

Great race though :)

First time racing D grade and it's all very fun!

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:18 pm

Well done :). I'd love to be out there but $$$ is tight at the moment so no license for me :(

rockviewau

Postby rockviewau » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:12 am

HAKS wrote:Well done :). I'd love to be out there but $$$ is tight at the moment so no license for me :(
gettin married are ya??? welcome to weekends of sitting home, where a ride is ur best friend as it means u can leave the house..... heheeh
Lucas Hayden

Current Ride: BMC SSX01

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:55 am

rockviewau wrote:
HAKS wrote:Well done :). I'd love to be out there but $$$ is tight at the moment so no license for me :(
gettin married are ya??? welcome to weekends of sitting home, where a ride is ur best friend as it means u can leave the house..... heheeh
That and saving for a house so no unjustified spending.

rockviewau

Postby rockviewau » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:03 pm

HAKS wrote:
rockviewau wrote:
That and saving for a house so no unjustified spending.
yeah, we just moved in to our place and get married in april, so im good at quiet nites!!! must have u over for a bbq then (its cheap!!)
Lucas Hayden

Current Ride: BMC SSX01

Bantam Roosta

Postby Bantam Roosta » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:37 am

HAKS wrote:That and saving for a house so no unjustified spending.
I don't see the problem. A licence is fully justified.

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:37 pm

Bantam Roosta wrote:
HAKS wrote:That and saving for a house so no unjustified spending.
I don't see the problem. A licence is fully justified.
Does that mean you'll pay for it then :lol:.

nescius

Postby nescius » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:06 pm

The CCC Criterium Series starts again soon (Wednesday nights), there are a couple of warm up crits to get everyone back into the swing of things starting tonight - see here for details.
Scott Spark 900 RC | Yeti Arc | Yeti SB130 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack

auskonrad

Postby auskonrad » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:51 pm

Would Vikings members be able to participate in CCC crits/events and vice versa?

I'm trying to decide which club to join....

... and are non-CA & CCC members allowed to have a crack at these warm up crits before they dump a ton of cash in the direction of CA and the club? I've not done one, so want to see if I like it first.

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:55 pm

vinvin wrote:There was a nasty looking crash too, in B Grade I think, fifty metres from the finish line. The patient was kept on the road for at least half an hour before an ambulance took him away with full spinal caution. Hope he's alright.
You just saw one of the problems with the Wednesday night series and it only gets worse. From what I saw last year it was generally one crash for each grade each night. The circuit is not designed to handle 60-70 riders in a bunch but the organisers insist on not putting any sort of limit. In addition they run there events based on a team structure, so if you are not in a team you are well behind the 8 ball.

This is why I stick to the ACTVETs series on Tuesday night.
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:01 pm

auskonrad wrote:Would Vikings members be able to participate in CCC crits/events and vice versa?

I'm trying to decide which club to join....

... and are non-CA & CCC members allowed to have a crack at these warm up crits before they dump a ton of cash in the direction of CA and the club? I've not done one, so want to see if I like it first.
If you are over 35 you can join the Vets on Tuesday night. $90 a year for a licence (if join now you get a 2012 licence) and $3 to race. Plus we run a road race nearly every weekend of the year. With CA you will be lucky to see one every 6-8 weeks on the weekends and pay $10 to race. Plus their licences are around $200 a year.
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

nescius

Postby nescius » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:21 am

jcjordan wrote:
vinvin wrote:There was a nasty looking crash too, in B Grade I think, fifty metres from the finish line. The patient was kept on the road for at least half an hour before an ambulance took him away with full spinal caution. Hope he's alright.
You just saw one of the problems with the Wednesday night series and it only gets worse. From what I saw last year it was generally one crash for each grade each night. The circuit is not designed to handle 60-70 riders in a bunch but the organisers insist on not putting any sort of limit. In addition they run there events based on a team structure, so if you are not in a team you are well behind the 8 ball.

This is why I stick to the ACTVETs series on Tuesday night.
I raced in the medium race last night and true to form there was a nasty crash, two of the four man break away went down (luckily I was off the back by then!), both looked to be in a bad way. The ambulance came for one (rumour has it that he punctured a lung) and the other managed to walk away but was probably heading for the hospital as well. I don't know what caused the crash, but given that it was the four man break away and they were reasonably experienced riders you can't really blame it on the numbers, it was just an accident. Not a great start to the season though :(
Scott Spark 900 RC | Yeti Arc | Yeti SB130 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:11 am

nescius wrote:it was just an accident.
Unless it's some completely random factor outside the control of the participants (ie. a Kangaroo, a sudden strong wind gust on an otherwise calm day) : Accident's don't happen, they are made.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...