Circuit training locations

Circuit training locations

Postby Aenveigh » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:25 pm

Hi

Wondering if there's any sort of flat velodrome style facilities in inner Canberra? Stromlo is a probably bit far away to cycle for quick training sessions for me, and I don't know if it's public access or not? I'm after something for those quick 20-45 min sessions where you just want to zone out and pedal, finding road rides is easy enough.

In my home city the local council provided a flat/low banked ~400m velodrome in a nook of land off a bike trail, but I haven't found anything like that so far in Canberra.

Alternatively, is there a 'known' or useful circuit (maybe an industrial block or a institution roadway circuit that's quiet on weekends or before/after office hours) that can be used for interval training or similar, without having to worry too much about car traffic, errant pedestrians, etc? Crazy cyclists are ok.

Preferably within a 5-10k radius of Civic.

Thanks for tips!
Aenveigh

by BNA » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:38 pm

BNA

Re: Circuit training locations

Postby HAKS » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:38 pm

Stromlo (crit track) is open to the public unless there is an event on. There is the 'velodrome' in Narrabundah but I have never been there or heard too many good news stories about it. Others may be able to add more there.

Best to look at the UBD and try work out some quite options nearby for you on weekends. There a few large carparks around that you could use but they are still open to traffic so you still have to be weary. There is a section of road behind Canturf on dairy flat road which is closed to cars. Often see cyclists doing up and backs on it.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en&ie ... 58622&z=15

But really Stromlo Crit track is going to be the best thing for what you want. Best surface in town and made for just going around and around and around.....
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)
HAKS

Postby HAKS » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:48 am

Just thought of another road that might be quite. The internal road at EPIC when no events are on;

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en&ie ... 33023&z=16
HAKS

Postby Ross » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:54 pm

There's a circuit of sorts in Queanbeyan in the park behind the cop station. It's like a velodrome without banking, the Vets hold races there in Summer. It's a public area so you have to watch for pdestrians and the like.

Maybe some roads in some of the new suburbs where there are no houses. Vikings club had a crit the other week at Crace in Gungahlin.
Ross

Postby Aenveigh » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:08 pm

Cheers, I'll check out the dairy flat rd and Epic and see how I go. I hadn't thought of the carparks but the Treasury and John Gorton carparks are around 150-200m a side... might see how empty they are on the weekend.
Aenveigh

Postby HAKS » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:02 pm

I was at Epic at the weekend and noticed one of the gates was closed preventing you driving around the entire perimeter road. You could go under/over the fence beside the gate but obviously this would break your rhythm.....unless you want some cyclocross training :P
HAKS

Postby davidf140270 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:10 pm

Can anyone access the Narrabundah Velodrome?
davidf140270

Return to ACT