Keeping warm in the Canberra winter

Keeping warm in the Canberra winter

Postby Warnesy » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:57 pm

With work travel, and then a nice 6 week break, I haven't had to commute in the Canberra winter yet.

However, I will have to face it should I wish to continue commuting in a week and a bit.

So my question is, how the hell do you stay warm. What are you guys wearing.

On the top i'm thinking jersey, windproof vest, windproof jacket and beanie. For the bottom bike shorts and possibly thermals over the top?

Grateful if you could let me know what your wearing and if i'm missing an essential piece of gear.

Cheers
Andrew
Warnesy

by BNA » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:54 pm

BNA

Re: Keeping warm in the Canberra winter

Postby petie » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:54 pm

I only have a short commute, but for longer rides:

Thermal socks
normal socks
Thermal long bib
singlet +/- merino singlet
jersey
long jersey
windproof jacket
windproof gloves
ear warmers

that only when its really cold though, you have to rip off layers pretty quick if its a longer ride.

As i said, i only have a short commute at 0630. I tend to chicken out and not go for a rec ride too early so i dont have to use so many layers! :lol:
petie

Postby m@ » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:15 am

I find that my hands, feet and face tend to feel the cold the most... Aside from that I'm toasty.

Depending on the temperatureanIs conditions, I wear a combination of: merino beanie, polypropylene thermal baselayer, jersey, windstopper jacket, gillet or rain shell on top; bib knicks, knee or leg warmers and polypro thermals, warm socks and thick neoprene shoe covers.

I also have two pairs of full-finger gloves - thin thermal inners and Kathmandu windstopper gloves; if it's really cold I wear both, or just the outers if it's above zero.

Nomally I end up removing at least one layer ten minutes or so into the ride and my base layer will be sweaty by the end of the ride. I could use something to keep the wind chill off my face and cosier socks for really cold mornings. The worst part is lugging all the extraneous stuff home in the evening ;)
harmonix1234 wrote:Forecast for Hobart next week is rain, sleet, ice and all kinds of hell.
HTFU harmonix.
m@
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby yyeric » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:46 am

For my morning bunch rides, I wear skull cap, winter gloves, windstopper long-sleeve baselayer, windstopper gillet , arm warmer, 3/4 bibknicks, bootie.

Usually roll down arm warmer when I get warmer. Other that that, this setup gets me through the winter so far.

Commute though, I swap gillet with a 2XU jacket.
yyeric

Postby Aenveigh » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:18 pm

Hmm I just wear my jeans and a t-shirt, jumper and jacket, some gloves... and a scarf until I've warmed up. But then, I'm just commuting, 7-12km (depends on how much sightseeing I feel like) each way so I'm not out that long. Maybe if I was travelling faster too, the commute bike doesn't really get up much about 25 most of the time - but that's still enough to pass most of the traffic on Northbourne : )

If I was on the road bike I guess I'd reconsider my choices but mostly layering works well.
Aenveigh

Postby cog_nition » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:34 pm

I'd agree with layering. Adding thermal base layers or wind proof as required.Having a decent windproof jacket with a Roubaix lining is a good start for sub zero starts. The thing I have struggled the most is with foot warmth. Even with thick wool socks and windproof booties my toes get cold. This is less of a problem now I am not having to roll out at 5.30 anymore :mrgreen:
cog_nition

Postby Warnesy » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:57 pm

Thanks all for the tips, hopefully i'll survive...
Warnesy

Return to ACT