Favourite Rides in and around Canberra

WarrenH

Re: Favourite Rides in and around Canberra

Postby WarrenH » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:52 pm

I went on a wet giggle on the BNT south of Canberra just recently, ... http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=R ... =8470&v=VY

But a bloke called Michael Rogers who rode to Canberra on the BNT was far more serious. Catch MR and his Mate Tom on ... http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=R ... =8146&v=te

If you haven't ridden into Canberra on the BNT what have you done? ... http://www.youtube.com/user/Michaelr747 ... Mxb7NVim1A

Warren.
"But on steep descending...Larson TT have bad effect on the mind of a rider" - MadRider from Suji, Korea 2001.

"Paved roads ... another fine example of wasteful government spending." - a bumper sticker.

Vintagetourer

Postby Vintagetourer » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:34 pm

Good suggestion.

My new favourite is a backroads route to Sydney from Canberra. I'm calling it the House-to-House as it slowly took me from Parliament House to the Sydney Opera House. I'd recommend the route and have journalled it in detail at:

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/housetohouse2011

glen_wright

Postby glen_wright » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:29 pm

Hi all,

I am moving to Canberra at the end of January and really appreciate everyone posting their favourite rides. Looking forward to trying some of them out. Also, I'd be particularly keen to here of any easy-medium rides that you can do from Canberra without needing a car.

Cheers,

Glen

Vintagetourer

Postby Vintagetourer » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:07 am

glen_wright wrote:Hi all,

I am moving to Canberra at the end of January and really appreciate everyone posting their favourite rides. Looking forward to trying some of them out. Also, I'd be particularly keen to here of any easy-medium rides that you can do from Canberra without needing a car.

Cheers,

Glen
Gundaroo return is a good one Glen.
Also consider joining Pedal Power for all sorts of support, info etc.
http://www.pedalpower.org.au/

glen_wright

Postby glen_wright » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:03 am

Thanks for the suggestion. Gundaroo looks good and I'll most definitely look at joining the group.

I have a friend that is moving to Murrumbateman, thinking I could perhaps cycle out there over a weekend.

deadcat

Postby deadcat » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:34 pm

the road out to corrin damn.
gorgeous any time of year

totto

Postby totto » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:01 pm

Gungahlin Drive/Tuggeranong Parkway - Couple of climb / decent around National Arboretum - Gungahlin Drive/Tuggaranong Parkway.

danchez

Postby danchez » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:32 pm

First time on the bike this weekend in Canberra. Decided only on a small roll out from Melba to Mt Pleasant. Gentle ride, able to maintain good speed, traffic before 6am was no problem. Definitely did not anticipate the 0-5 degree weather though! Wasn't too bad when warmed up however.

Will have to give the other mountains a go next time I'm down/have more time!

Also, is it just me, or do those who are casual weekend riders have no sense of road rules/common sense? Almost cleaned up a guy and his wife in my car even though I clearly indicated left well before the round-a-about in Braddon. He thought it would be a great idea to try beat my turn by COMING UP THE LEFT SIDE.. Sorry if this was you.. but who does that?!
Giant Cadex ALR1
Cannondale CAAD4 R2000
Paconi

anttismo

Postby anttismo » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:12 pm

I'm originally from Canberra and get back there to see family every few months. Do a bit of riding when there and a lap like the one below is my fave. A cyclepathy kind of loop of the place, usually about 100kms, takes in a mix of paths from my youth of the relaxed type a bit different to Melbourne. Great on summer mornings in the early hrs, less great at 4am in july :lol:

http://www.strava.com/activities/104014487" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Grgic

Postby Grgic » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:14 pm

That looks like a good ride anttismo. Might have to try that.
http://www.strava.com/athletes/3420668? ... ce=top-nav" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gbyzh

Postby gbyzh » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:23 pm

Anyone done the LBG circuit after dark?

cp123

Postby cp123 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:12 am

I ride along some of it every night in winter. :D it's fine. Some areas are well lit (ie between the 2 bridges) while others you'll need decent lights. The track between scrivener dam and kings bridge is always popular with cyclists in peak hour in morning and night so if anything happens there's enough others passing by. Out past the hospice though and the Kingston foreshores I think its a bit less busy.

joingler

Postby joingler » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:08 am

gbyzh wrote:Anyone done the LBG circuit after dark?
Done it at dusk. Nearly got cleaned up by a roo near the Governor Generals residence

cp123

Postby cp123 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:00 pm

yes but there are roos all over Canberra bike paths. I didn't think they'd be any more of a problem than lots of other places. :lol:

as an example - I often ride up mt taylor road on the way home. creep on up but dare not fang down as there are always roos grazing on either side. I wouldn't want to find one of them bounce out as i'm fanging on down the hill at speed.

I had one fly across in front of me near suburban shops not too long back.

joingler

Postby joingler » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:13 pm

The top of mulligans flat down to Hackett via the border track and centenary trail. Good fun with some downhill fun but some climbs to test you as well

http://www.mapmywalk.com/workout/1319354237" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

m@

Postby m@ » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:38 pm

gbyzh wrote:Anyone done the LBG circuit after dark?
Yeah, used to do either the eastern or western basin as my evening/night commute, depending on how energetic I was feeling. Biggest issue I had was roadie groups with MTB lights hogging most of the path, particularly on the narrower sections around the western basin. Pretty much stopped riding that way after I was forced off the path into the dirt near the Governor's residence by a group that took up almost the entire path... the roo joingler encountered must've been taking lessons from them ;)

Nicest spot was the Jerrabomberra wetlands at night - for a while I was doing shift work and riding through there around 10.30 pm.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe