Orthotics/Podiatrist recommendation?

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:13 pm

I've had enough of my foot pain and sick of trying to find to right shoe so decided its time I see a podiatrist to see if orthotics might help me out. I've got a very unusual wide foot with a high arch and get incredible pain on the outside of my little tow on long rides. I've had bike fit which resulted in wedges under my cleats but they didn't fix the problem.

Anyways can anyone recommend one over another particularly when it comes to cycling/sports? Day to day my feet are fine, its just cycling that cause me pain. Thanks in advance.
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)

mrgolf

Re: Orthotics/Podiatrist recommendation?

Postby mrgolf » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:13 am

I would consider seeing a physic first. They can put you in the right direction for treatment.

grantw

Postby grantw » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:38 am

That sounds like metatarsalgia (I suffer from it)- the pain is excruciating, like there's something sharp jabbing you under the toe nail?

My poddy made me a pretty simple orthotic with a tarsal bump which helps, and so does wearing a shoe with a wide toe box.

I agree with mrgolf and think its a good idea to get directed to a podiatrist from someone, so either go to your doctor or physio and get them to refer you, there are quite a few quacks out there in poddy land.

cheers

grant

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:39 am

Thanks for the advice :)

Of our interest Grant what shoes do you run?

grantw

Postby grantw » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:01 am

I wear SIDI Lasers when on my roadie. I find the toe box is just right for my foot. Plus they make me look a lot faster than I am :)

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:34 am

Bloody autocorrect! I typed physio. that would make more sense.

Ross

Postby Ross » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:34 pm

GregLR

Postby GregLR » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:18 pm

grantw wrote:I wear SIDI Lasers when on my roadie. I find the toe box is just right for my foot.
I wonder whether a wider fitting shoe might help HAKS. I say this because I have two pairs of wide-fit (ie, 'mega' size) Sidi road shoes: an ageing pair from 2004 and a new pair a couple of months old. In between I bought a pair of narrow fit 2007 Specialized road shoes that would make parts of the sole of my feet ache & go numb over long distances (ie, 100 - 200km), even though they have the metatarsal 'button' (& even though I have had no such problems with two pairs of Specialized MTB shoes over 10 years). The new pair of Sidi 'mega' size has solved this problem; I first tested by reverting to the 2004 pair before deciding to buy the new ones (which incidentally are size 43.5 - the half size gives a bit more room in the toe box compared to the 43 in the old pair, such that in future I would always buy the half size as well as the wide-fit). Just thought I'd mention in case my experience is possibly relevant.

Greg

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:35 pm

The Solestar orthotic is apparently the favorite of the pro peleton. It might be worth a look...
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

grantw

Postby grantw » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:46 pm

GregLR wrote:
grantw wrote:I wear SIDI Lasers when on my roadie. I find the toe box is just right for my foot.
I wonder whether a wider fitting shoe might help HAKS. I say this because I have two pairs of wide-fit (ie, 'mega' size) Sidi road shoes: an ageing pair from 2004 and a new pair a couple of months old. In between I bought a pair of narrow fit 2007 Specialized road shoes that would make parts of the sole of my feet ache & go numb over long distances (ie, 100 - 200km), even though they have the metatarsal 'button' (& even though I have had no such problems with two pairs of Specialized MTB shoes over 10 years). The new pair of Sidi 'mega' size has solved this problem; I first tested by reverting to the 2004 pair before deciding to buy the new ones (which incidentally are size 43.5 - the half size gives a bit more room in the toe box compared to the 43 in the old pair, such that in future I would always buy the half size as well as the wide-fit). Just thought I'd mention in case my experience is possibly relevant.

Greg
Lasers aren't a wide shoe by any means, but they are wide enough for me and sized a bit bigger than I (thought) would normally wear. My poddy told me that a good way to determine fit is to remove the insole and stand on it. You want to see about 5mm of the insole around the outside of your foot.

cheers

grant

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:53 am

Hi guys

I've tried both Sidi Megas and have now have a wide model Lake shoe at the moment and still have issues. Cycling shoes have been the bain of my existence especially in Aus as wide models are hard to come by.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:57 pm

I use tarsal domes glued to the insert. There's on online place in Aust that sells them... I'll try and find my last invoice.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:39 pm

http://www.sportstek.net/orthotic-components.htm

Metatarsal domes, the grey ones.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...