Canberra bike shops - recommendations?

HAKS

Re: Canberra bike shops - recommendations?

Postby HAKS » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:46 pm

2010 TCR Adv1 for $2000 :shock: . Freakin score if that is what you got it for. You won't be disappointed, they are the bomb to ride. Just watch out for upgraditis, it'll be knocking on your door very soon ;)

Now you'll have to meet up with some of us and put it through it paces :).

Good wrap on all the stores as well. I found generally the same experience, but it was Onya Civic & Belco that went that little bit further for me and hence got the sale :). Didn't know about this Trek concept store, anymore details?
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)

Robdog

Postby Robdog » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:50 pm

Hey Sixx - Congrats on the very.... thorough writeup. Oh and welcome to the forum. +1 on the meetup thing. I take it you're Northside?
2019 BMC TimeMachine R01
201x S-Works Shiv
2009 Avanti Cadent Team

ifixbikes

Postby ifixbikes » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:47 am

HAKS wrote:Didn't know about this Trek concept store, anymore details?
Apparently Ryan from the Ride shop will be opening it on the waterfront in Belconnen.

Sixx1101

Postby Sixx1101 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:25 am

HAKS wrote:2010 TCR Adv1 for $2000 . Freakin score if that is what you got it for. You won't be disappointed, they are the bomb to ride........ Didn't know about this Trek concept store, anymore details?
It was a little more then $2000, but certainly was a good deal.

It's all here say at this point in time, basically the consensus with everyone is that Trek has moved its Australian distributor into Fyshwick, and they are interested in open up a store with more flag ship models rather then the low end range that "The Ride Shop" typically stock. I do believe that its someone from "The Ride Shop" that will be fronting the business sides of things. Nothing official, just here-say, rumors, and whispers of jealousy.
Robdog wrote: I take it you're Northside?
Yeah I'm a Belconnen boy at the moment. I certainly will be wanting to meet up with all the locals once I am comfortable to take my training wheels off (read can stop without falling off because of shoes)

rockviewau

Postby rockviewau » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:30 pm

Sixx1101 wrote:
Yeah I'm a Belconnen boy at the moment. I certainly will be wanting to meet up with all the locals once I am comfortable to take my training wheels off (read can stop without falling off because of shoes)
heya sixx, firstly welcome to the canberra forums and congrats on ur new bike. excellent write up :)
i recently just picked up my first roadie (from lappy off here) and am happy with it too... due to $$ constraints, i dont have the bike shoes, so dont worry about the newbie thing... im in that boat too..... as rob said, would be good to meet up for a ride

will catch u around

Lucas
Lucas Hayden

Current Ride: BMC SSX01

LoveB

Postby LoveB » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:55 pm

Sixx, where abouts in belco are you? Im just in Belco too.

If you see a fat asian man in a cheap MTB that would probably be me.

LoveB

Postby LoveB » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:57 pm

Sixx, where abouts in belco are you? Im just in Belco too.

If you see a fat asian man in a cheap MTB that would probably be me.

spunkyryan

Postby spunkyryan » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:07 pm

Hey Sixx, welcome to the forums and well done on the write-up.

Happy to meet up for a ride on a weekend or early weekday morning :)
N+1 - 2019 Colnago C64, Dura-Ace Di2, DT Swiss PRC 1100 Dicut Mon Chasseral

yehuwdiy

Postby yehuwdiy » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:53 pm

Howdy Pilgrims,

Just moved down from Brisbane (well, in January), and have found a great shop. Simon at Bicycle Surgery over at Florey shops has been great to buy from/ chat to :)

I have tried many shops around the Belconnen side of town and found most of them to be...cold...if you know what I mean. If your new like me it's great to find some smiling faces!

Cruiserman

Postby Cruiserman » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:37 pm

+1 for cycle surgery. I had some time to kill around Florey a few weeks back and went in to have a look around. Friendly helpful and down to earth prices. eg CO2 Cannisters 1.50$ and other stuff that was not much more expensive than the famed UK online shops.
2008 Specialized SWorks Roubaix SL - Zipps - Campag - Nuff Said
1986 Spokesman Model 11 Racing - Campag Nuvo Record - Stronglight - Shimano 600

yehuwdiy

Postby yehuwdiy » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:02 pm

Amen CM, in fact some of the prices he has are below what I can get them for online (tyres for example). Then again maybe I jut like Simon's dog (Kaiser) and the fact that he is willing to converse at length about fixed speed conversions etc.

s-s-a

Postby s-s-a » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:05 pm

Can anyone tell me what brands of mtb tyres are in stock at Cycle Surgery??

Steph

Robdog

Postby Robdog » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:12 pm

s-s-a wrote:Can anyone tell me what brands of mtb tyres are in stock at Cycle Surgery??

Steph
Don't know for sure if they also had MTB tyres, but they stocked Maxxis (I think they had MTB) and Conti (not sure)
2019 BMC TimeMachine R01
201x S-Works Shiv
2009 Avanti Cadent Team

yehuwdiy

Postby yehuwdiy » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:24 am

Beat me to it Robdog!

Yeah, Maxis and conti, I'm almost certain that he has a few different types of MTB tyres in the Maxis range. He also has some good 27" tyres (only $12 from memory) and things like the Marathon Plus for roadies.

If you want I can drop by this afternoon and have a look for you (CS in near where I work), just normal 26"?

ifixbikes

Postby ifixbikes » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:02 am

I got some tubeless tyres there a while ago and they had basically the hole range of maxxis mtb, as well as kenda, conti, schwalbe, ritchie (I have one on the rear of the roadie and its bomb proof) and pretty sure I saw michelin aswell.
If you know what you want give them a call, Simon is very helpful.

s-s-a

Postby s-s-a » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:45 pm

Thanks. I was mainly asking out of interest. Next time I'm in the area I'll drop in and check out his prices...

Steph

yehuwdiy

Postby yehuwdiy » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:54 pm

Howdy Pilgrims,

I had to drop by CS this afternoon anyways so I checked out his MTB tyre range...it's huge. He has about 95% of the entire Maxxis range (great prices on these as well, e.g. $39 for CrossMarks), CST, Mich., Kenda, Serfas and Schwalbe.

Don't forget to bring a liver treat for Kaiser if you are dropping by during the week!

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:24 am

Yep - CS is my first target these days. His prices are just so damned good.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

Robdog

Postby Robdog » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:40 pm

Points awarded to Lonsdale St. for the way they handled my warranty claim. Communication was prompt, they let me test a Quantum 2.0 because there were no 2007 Carbonio's available so I could have either a 2009 Quantum or Cadent replacement. Didn't want to jump right for the more aggressive frame without trying it, so they organised it no problems. Frame arrived Thursday, built up by 3PM Tuesday, which seems pretty good for a busy workshop. They even threw in free replacement cables.
Also props to Avanti who replaced the cracked frame no questions asked, and offered me a 2009 frame to replace a 2007 AND gave me the option of the 2 types. Also for making such great leaps in their frames in 2 years :D
2019 BMC TimeMachine R01
201x S-Works Shiv
2009 Avanti Cadent Team

yehuwdiy

Postby yehuwdiy » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:01 pm

So, how is the new ride? Everything you always wanted and more :D ?

Robdog

Postby Robdog » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:40 pm

yehuwdiy wrote:So, how is the new ride? Everything you always wanted and more :D ?
Ohhh yeah. I reckon it's about as nice as the old man's S-Works Roubaix SL :mrgreen: Only done about 20k's on it so far, but hitting Uriarra and Cotter tomorrow, so that'll be the first real test
2019 BMC TimeMachine R01
201x S-Works Shiv
2009 Avanti Cadent Team

yehuwdiy

Postby yehuwdiy » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:45 pm

HAHA! Great news, keep the rubber side down. I look forward to some unabashed bragging tomorrow night on your part :)

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:26 pm

Robdog wrote:
yehuwdiy wrote:So, how is the new ride? Everything you always wanted and more :D ?
Ohhh yeah. I reckon it's about as nice as the old man's S-Works Roubaix SL :mrgreen: Only done about 20k's on it so far, but hitting Uriarra and Cotter tomorrow, so that'll be the first real test
Watch out for the maggie in the S-bends at the top of Mt McDonald - I nearly went off the road trying to keep an eye on him when he attacked.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

Robdog

Postby Robdog » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:39 pm

twizzle wrote:
Robdog wrote:
Watch out for the maggie in the S-bends at the top of Mt McDonald - I nearly went off the road trying to keep an eye on him when he attacked.
Erm which one is Mt McDonald? :P
One went for me not long after the climb out of Uriarra Crossing (I bet that's Mt McDonald...) - we went anti-clockwise - and shortly after I caught up Steph got attacked by another just past Uriarra Village. Thankfully there was very little traffic and so we could do with the road as we pleased
2019 BMC TimeMachine R01
201x S-Works Shiv
2009 Avanti Cadent Team

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:30 pm

Robdog wrote:Erm which one is Mt McDonald? :P
One went for me not long after the climb out of Uriarra Crossing (I bet that's Mt McDonald...) - we went anti-clockwise - and shortly after I caught up Steph got attacked by another just past Uriarra Village. Thankfully there was very little traffic and so we could do with the road as we pleased
Mt McDonald is the climb after Uriarra Village, before the decent into Cotter. Well at least the way you were going.
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)