Canberra bike shops - recommendations?

s-s-a

Re: Canberra bike shops - recommendations?

Postby s-s-a » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:49 pm

I had my first experience of Velorepublic this week and went back for a second time. It's a great concept that I would love to see stick around!

Who is the owner? Is the workshop any good? It looks great but as we all know, looks aren't everything!!

Steph

Fletcher

Postby Fletcher » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:46 am

I'm yet to return to Velorepublic. Might do so this weekend.

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:38 am

Time for a plug for Onya Civic & Belco. I've been hunting down a new road bike ($4k budget) the past few weeks and their service was brilliant and I ended up getting my bike from the Civic store. I went to pretty much every other shop in Canberra and while Cycle City, Lonsdales, Bike Culture and Ride Shop were all also very good Onya was the top. Pretty much all the other shops were average (Smiths was closed so exclude them). The main thing that stood out with Onya Belco was they didn't try sell me the $4k bike straight away, quite the opposite. I explained my situation ie. ride for fitness, did 6000km last year, aiming for more this year and the bike they recommended was a $1500 Giant. I then explaining a had a little more money to play with and was after Ultegra so the TCR Adv1 came into picture. They spent about an hour with me just talking road bikes, different technologies etc which really inspired confidence. There was no pressure to buy at any time.

I actually had wanted to avoid the TCR Adv1 but in the end nothing else in the $4k bracket came close to it in ride & value for money. A few other shops didn't even really serve me and the few that did quickly pushed me towards $5k offerings even though I said my limit was $4k. In the end I went to Onya Civic as they offered a interest free finance option. Before I went into the store I decided on a cash price I would except. Had a chat to Gareth who I bought MTB bikes off years ago when he was at the bike shed and asked what cash price he could do. Bingo!!!! He offered me $3500 which was what I had said to myself I would except. Other Giant stores I had spoken to wouldn't budge from the $4k RRP (Belco Onya excluded). This was at 3pm on Wednesday. He said they had 1 in a box in my size and could build it up within 1.5hr (mind you the shop was extremely busy). I came back 90min later to my bike built and ready to rock. Then spent an hour or so getting a comprehensive bike fit done with one of his staff who again really inspired confidence in me. They fitted me up on the trainer, checking seat hight, stem position, even cleat alignment which had nothing to do with the bike. After the trainer session I rode around outside and the staff member watched my cycling action and then made a few more changes. They also offered to do another fit/ readjustment should I find it uncomfortable etc after the first few weeks. So come 5.30pm Wed I was at my folks house in Dickson riding my new bike :lol: . So I got great service, a great price and they did everything to make sure I was on my bike ASAP yet at no time I felt any pressure to go ahead with the purchase etc.

Summing up, I highly recommend Onya Bike Civic & Belco!! Remember those 2 are owned separately from the other 3 stores.
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)

Fletcher

Postby Fletcher » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:36 pm

Good Post HAKS - that's great service, above and beyond. Note to self to throw a few $$ at Onya Bike Civic Sometime soon.

I did a recce on the Belconnen shop about a month back, after they spent a motza on brand new fitout. They had several dozen bikes on the floor, but only 3 of them road bikes, and nothing but Giants.

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:16 pm

Fletcher wrote:Good Post HAKS - that's great service, above and beyond. Note to self to throw a few $$ at Onya Bike Civic Sometime soon.

I did a recce on the Belconnen shop about a month back, after they spent a motza on brand new fitout. They had several dozen bikes on the floor, but only 3 of them road bikes, and nothing but Giants.
Yeah I was surprised as well to see them clear out of the other models. I guess other brands just can't beat the Giant price etc.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:28 am

And they carry f-all parts now, it's basically MTB's and basic spares.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

ifixbikes

Postby ifixbikes » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:39 am

HAKS wrote:
Fletcher wrote:I guess other brands just can't beat the Giant price etc.
Your joking right?
Have a look around buddy. Whilst the RRP is a guide, there are some pretty competive shops around now.
There is this big miss conception that the big shops are cheaper. Walk into a small shop and see how much cheaper they are. This goes for Sydney, Melbourne, as well as Canberra. Not going to name shops but I know of 3 or 4 smaller shops that have atleast 10-15% cheaper shelf price on P&A than one of the big shops, and about 10% cheaper shelf price on bikes. And thats in Canberra alone.
I work for one of the big shops, but can get a better price at a certain small shop then my staff discount offers. :roll:

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:36 pm

ifixbikes wrote:
HAKS wrote:
Fletcher wrote:I guess other brands just can't beat the Giant price etc.
Your joking right?
Have a look around buddy. Whilst the RRP is a guide, there are some pretty competive shops around now.
There is this big miss conception that the big shops are cheaper. Walk into a small shop and see how much cheaper they are. This goes for Sydney, Melbourne, as well as Canberra. Not going to name shops but I know of 3 or 4 smaller shops that have atleast 10-15% cheaper shelf price on P&A than one of the big shops, and about 10% cheaper shelf price on bikes. And thats in Canberra alone.
I work for one of the big shops, but can get a better price at a certain small shop then my staff discount offers. :roll:
I don't know what their (belco) situation is as to why they may have limited other stock etc. What I do know is that Giant offered the best bang for my buck (and of course rode well) of all the bikes in that price bracket, simple as that. I also looked at many shops in Melbourne and Bendigo, their pricing was no better then what I found in Canberra. I've got a few friends who have also gone out and bought $2k - $3k dualies in the past 18months and all have ended up with Giant. Again they said it simply came down to bang for buck which Giant offered.

P&A you can always find cheaper if you look hard enough, but you prob spend more in petrol getting to every shop then just buying from the first place you visit. And of course some of the big shops bump up the price as they usually have some dedicated customers that won't shop anywhere else. If you can get P&A cheaper at other shops then your staff discount then maybe your shop needs to reconsider their pricing policy. Not exactly confidence when staff don't shop in their own store.

Just my 2c.

Re: Parts the Onya Belco stock, i didn't really look at parts so can't comment on that. In saying that though a mate just got his cassette, chain & gear cables replaced + serviced at Onya Belco and when he told me how much it cost I was in shock................shock because it was far cheaper then I expected!

yyeric

Postby yyeric » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:45 pm

Which LBS in Inner North do you guys reckon is best for road bike maintenance?

Sent my bike in to Lonsdale St Cycling workshop to see if it can fix the cracking noise that comes with each "hard" pedal I make.

Thought it was BB and have it cleaned up and re-installed, but stil have the same noise.

It shits me to hear this noise.....

Any recommendation between shops in Braddon, Lyneham, O'Connor, and Dickson ?

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:00 pm

yyeric wrote:Which LBS in Inner North do you guys reckon is best for road bike maintenance?

Sent my bike in to Lonsdale St Cycling workshop to see if it can fix the cracking noise that comes with each "hard" pedal I make.

Thought it was BB and have it cleaned up and re-installed, but stil have the same noise.

It shits me to hear this noise.....

Any recommendation between shops in Braddon, Lyneham, O'Connor, and Dickson ?
Check the QR's first.

yyeric

Postby yyeric » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:08 pm

twizzle wrote:Check the QR's first.
What does QR stand for...?

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:15 pm

yyeric wrote:
twizzle wrote:Check the QR's first.
What does QR stand for...?
Quick Release.

yyeric

Postby yyeric » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:19 pm

twizzle wrote:Quick Release.
Interesting. Will try that tomorrow to see if they are it.

The noise does come if I am only soft pedaling though.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:37 pm

yyeric wrote:
twizzle wrote:Quick Release.
Interesting. Will try that tomorrow to see if they are it.

The noise does come if I am only soft pedaling though.
Hang on... you said 'with each "hard" pedal'?

yyeric

Postby yyeric » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:49 pm

twizzle wrote: Hang on... you said 'with each "hard" pedal'?
Yes. soft pedalling won't give me noise.

Tried both on and off the seat. No different.

none of Pedal, crank, handle bar, stem were loosely fitted.

The only time with the noise is when I pedal to move the bike. If it's just soft pedaling style, it's all silence.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:51 pm

O.K., so NOT when soft pedalling.. in that case, check the QR's because it could be a wheel moving in the dropouts.

FWIW - I get clicking from my Hollowtech bottom ends but I can see the fret marks on the spindle where it's been moving.

yyeric

Postby yyeric » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:09 pm

twizzle wrote:O.K., so NOT when soft pedalling.. in that case, check the QR's because it could be a wheel moving in the dropouts.

FWIW - I get clicking from my Hollowtech bottom ends but I can see the fret marks on the spindle where it's been moving.
Thanks mate. Will try this in the morning. You reckon replace it with a different skewer? Or lube it a bit and tighened it further?

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:17 am

Just as long as they are tight... not too tight. But a lot of people leave them too loose and you end up with interesting noises.

BTW - after redoing my cranks on the weekend, no difference... but I've now worked out it's either the saddle or the seatpost that's making my current clicking noise. Noises suck.

yyeric

Postby yyeric » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:08 pm

Check the skewers but don't seem to have play a role here.

I think my noise is more like the clicking noise that you are having too.

Don't know if sending the bike back to lonsdale st workshop will help..

yyeric

Postby yyeric » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:45 pm

Changed to another front wheel and skewer.

Same noise noticed.

Noticed something interesting though.

Right-leg pedaling : no noise
Left-leg pedalling : noise when pulling the leg up through to pushing the pedal. Probably 2 or 3 clicks of noise on each circle.

might it be the left crank arm...

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:47 pm

Could be the pedal.

yyeric

Postby yyeric » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:58 pm

Will go to Lonsdale to get them to put it on again for me.
Thanks!

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:11 am

twizzle wrote:Just as long as they are tight... not too tight. But a lot of people leave them too loose and you end up with interesting noises.

BTW - after redoing my cranks on the weekend, no difference... but I've now worked out it's either the saddle or the seatpost that's making my current clicking noise. Noises suck.
'twas the seat post. Water had got in despite extensive gaffer tape.

yyeric

Postby yyeric » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:28 pm

Glad you found where the issue it.

The shop can't find mine though. Instead, they wanted to change the brake cable and other things. Will probably try another shop.

Any suggestions on other good shop around?

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:24 pm

Ian Downing, by appointment, and he works at Ian pace and you have to be present for him to work on your bike.