Canberra bike shops - recommendations?

stackyard59

Postby stackyard59 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:50 pm

Mick and the rest of the gang at Onyabike Belconnen have gone out of their way for me and a must for a good rap.My cycle interests are mostly vintage and classic,and the guys have always searched hi and low to help find me that elusive part. Also, Ian Downing is second to none in vintage and classic repairs and service.

aronde

Postby aronde » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:06 am

I have found Cycle Surgery at the Florey Shops very good. Simon has always gone out of his way to help with my bike issues!

slik50

Postby slik50 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:57 pm

Just an update on Smith's in Fishwyck.

I have been looking for a racing BMX bike for my son and was struggling to find something suitable.

Anyway I spoke to Paul and he gave me an excellent price on a PK Ripper Team bike.

More importantly, when my wife and son went to pick up the bike (he did not know he was getting a new bike) Paul really went the extra mile to make my son feel special.

He played along with the surprise and ignored his other customer for 15 minutes while he made sure my son will never forget getting his first racing BMX.

An excellent experience.

ROb

impluvium

Postby impluvium » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:56 pm

Adding my vote for Cycle City in Lyneham. I just bought my new bike (Merida road race 905 -- yay!) through them, and they were excellent. Nick and Garth in particular gave me superb service, and I'll be going back there in preference to any of the other shops I visited.

Fletcher

Re: Canberra bike shops - recommendations?

Postby Fletcher » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:19 pm

My (admittedly limted) experience has been with a few Northside shops. I bought my bike & shoes at Lonsdale St just last week. I'm happy with the product & received good advice (bear in mind I'm a noob) but its a big, busy place. It stocks good brands & professional service, but if you're looking for a friendly LBS with a personal feel, Cycle City Lyneham is hard to go past. My next bits will be bought there. Can't comment on Onya Bike, as I haven't ventured there yet.
I'm jazzed to hear of that bike clothing shop in Fyshwick, they'll be getting some of my clams too. I only hope they're a little cheaper than the bike shops.

DaNmAn

Postby DaNmAn » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:03 pm

MalAdjusted in Dickson gets a +10 from me, Got a wheel built there - told them what I wanted, how much I am willing to pay and it came in 80 bucks under budget and works a treat.
They offer free 1 month service too and normal warranty.

The Bike Shop in Gunghalin gets a vote from me as well, they are my local, open late and know their stuff and reasonably priced.
Cycle City Lyneham, its on my way home and have called in there a few times, great guys, friendly service reasonable retail prices.. Never had them do anything mechanical.

Bike Superstore in mitchell -10 from me They tried to sell me a 30mm Presta for a 700x32 wheel when I needed a 48mm and then tried to tell me that it would fit a 700c universially - even deep V rims..
They also charge exhuberant amounts too...$14.50 for a tube...
Say What ?

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:36 pm

I actually got some great service from Bike Superstore last week. Mainly cos it was from a guy i use to work with there back in 2001, but nevertheless i will pop in again and make sure he serves me. They also had 30% of netti winter clothes so even bought something :P. Had some nice bikes on show as well, including a Specialized with Di2 :shock:

Was also in Cycle City where my brother was hunting down some old BMX parts. Got A+++ service from the guys there even though they knew there would be no sale as he was just after some advice.
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)

Fletcher

Postby Fletcher » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:51 am

On saturday I neded to buy another pair of shorts and wanted some advice on tyres. I visited the Bike Shed in Gungahlin for the first time, and was impressed with the attentive service and the advice I received from the staff. For their age, their knowledge was good, and were very willing to share it. They were cheerful, positive, and it was obvious they were enthusiasts who wanted to be there. It's a shame they only seem to sell Giants though. I have an irrational dislike of Giant bikes.
7.5/10

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:38 am

BikeShed Gungalhin is my 'LBS'. Mind you, there are two others a lot closer to my house, but I know the guys there pretty well. The regular guys (weekdays and some Saturdays) know their stuff.

But on Sunday, I was stopped in the street just down from them, and saw a young lady going out for a test ride on a road bike, and the saddle was a good 3-4cm too low. :(
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

Fletcher

Postby Fletcher » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:47 pm

Dropped into MalAdjusted in Dickson for the first time on Saturday. Nice shop. They seem to have carved out a nice little niche by catering to a slightly different kind of cylist. They had two brands of bikes I had never seen before. One make called Charge, and a very sexy German brand called Cube. Lovely machines.

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:58 pm

Charge are big in the UK. I've got one of their seats on my roadie...........although not from Mals as their price was $150 more then Wiggle.

Fletcher

Postby Fletcher » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:36 pm

I've got one of their seats on my roadie...........although not from Mals as their price was $150 more then Wiggle.
:shock:

PPFC

Postby PPFC » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:28 pm

I have only just joined and found this thread.

I have had a feeling of indifference in the Bike Shed Gungahlin 1st visit the guy seemed very arrogant, 2nd visit he was very helpful and friendly. :?

I have picked up Bike Superstore as a sponsor for an event I am organising and have found the service out of there to be nothing short of exceptional.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:33 pm

PPFC wrote:I have only just joined and found this thread.

I have had a feeling of indifference in the Bike Shed Gungahlin 1st visit the guy seemed very arrogant, 2nd visit he was very helpful and friendly. :?

I have picked up Bike Superstore as a sponsor for an event I am organising and have found the service out of there to be nothing short of exceptional.
While I find the Bike Superstore (a) overpriced and (b) they sold me a road fork for a hybrid when the seals on the fork failed and I was looking for a rigid replacement. Bike Shed Gungahlin has changed some of the staff recently, so I don't know what they are like now.

For any work I need these days, I use Ian Downing.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

PPFC

Postby PPFC » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:45 pm

twizzle wrote:
PPFC wrote:I have only just joined and found this thread.

While I find the Bike Superstore (a) overpriced and (b) they sold me a road fork for a hybrid when the seals on the fork failed and I was looking for a rigid replacement. Bike Shed Gungahlin has changed some of the staff recently, so I don't know what they are like now.

For any work I need these days, I use Ian Downing.
Obviously can't say anything about the prices or the supply of incorrect part. With customer service it all depends on when you visit I guess. My first visit the guy may have been having a bad day, wife on his back about something? Arrogant s**t head customer, who knows which is why I went back a 2nd time and found his service to be friendly and helpful. Wife may have made up for previous indiscretions lol...

Having them as a sponsor I get stuff at a discount so is not all bad :D

thomas_cho

Postby thomas_cho » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:24 pm

I hardly visit the local bike shops unless I am buying bikes, frames, or small items.

Thumbs up for Onya Belconnen. Friendly bunch of guys there.

Don't any of you visit Bike Culture in O'connor? I have found them to be very good as well. Good advice, and they are always happy to help you out with minor tasks! I once had a hard Bottom bracket to remove, and a stuck pedal, which they helped me out for free.

The Bike Superstore in Mitchell ... well lets put it this way, I'd rather go to other shops before them. Things just seem overpriced.

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:34 pm

Called in (AT) Smith's in Fyshwick twice in the past few weeks. Seemed to be absolutely run off their feet but still had the time for great customer service. Will def be dropping in more often especially as they are close to work.

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:50 pm

Cycle City for me. They are the only bike shop I visited in Canberra in January this year that did not add the price rise to their floor stock which was bought pre price rise. A shop in Belconnen even admitted they were doing that just to try and rush a sale. :roll:

Garth, Nick and Rick are all knowledgable and helpful. They know people by name and have helped me out of a couple of tight ones when they didnt have to.

psike

Postby psike » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:19 pm

Cycle City Lyneham - service is exceptional. Garth has helped me out with service at the last minute, and remembers you. They also sponsor local events such as Fitz's and the Big Canberra Day Ride and provide mechanics at both events.

Kona Jake The Snake
Scott Scale 35
Oppy Le Mauco

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:51 pm

Hey Psike, do you ever come accross a guy on a Merida MTB hardtail towing a copper coloured Chariot CX1 Child carrier riding up the cycle path near Dickson College? My partner regularly rides with on a matt black flat bar hybrid. Spotted a tall guy on a Kona 29er a couple of times. Only Tues and Wed. All other days are roadie days.

Fletcher

Postby Fletcher » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:10 pm

I found an interesting little place in Kingston today. I don't know what it's called, but it's part cafe, part bike clothing shop, part workshop. They had a few high end bikes on display - Time, Look - but didn't look like they were for sale. They had some cool retro styled, expensive looking jerseys and a few other bits and pieces. They also had a beautiful, complete 1937 Malvern Star Oppy in the front window. Amazing bike.

The place is new, only been open for a few weeks. I wouldn't be surprised if they start selling a few exclusive Euro bikes, it just looks like that kind of place. I doubt their kit is in my price range, but I'll check out their coffee next weekend. I reckon it could be the kind of place that dentists and anaethetists will ride to on their Pinarellos on sunday mornings.

PPFC

Postby PPFC » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:10 pm

That would be Velo republic. My mate works there. The owner is a big bike fan and apparently going to be a bike store.

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:54 am

Have you guys been to The Greengrocer (AT) Goulburn? In case you haven't, it's literally a greengrocer and cafe out the front and you walk out the back and it's a bike shop. They haven't got a huge range of trendy parts but have quite a few high-endish type bikes. Last time I was there they had a Pinarello Prince with Zipps and Di2. A few people I know have got some amazing deals on bikes there.

Fletcher

Postby Fletcher » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:35 am

Ross wrote:Have you guys been to The Greengrocer (AT) Goulburn? In case you haven't, it's literally a greengrocer and cafe out the front and you walk out the back and it's a bike shop. They haven't got a huge range of trendy parts but have quite a few high-endish type bikes. Last time I was there they had a Pinarello Prince with Zipps and Di2. A few people I know have got some amazing deals on bikes there.
:?: :!:
Greengrocer/cafe/bike shop. That's something I gotta see.

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:54 pm

I've heard great things about the Greengrocer including some very good pricing.