Near miss cyclist vs 4WD Wallaroo Rd


by BNA » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:18 pm

BNA
 

Re: Near miss cyclist vs 4WD Wallaroo Rd

Postby biker jk » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:18 pm

There's no way the driver didn't see the cyclist. The driver would have been looking right given the turn was in that direction. Looks like the driver did it on purpose.
User avatar
biker jk
 
Posts: 2174
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Near miss cyclist vs 4WD Wallaroo Rd

Postby LoveB » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:50 pm

thats just ridiculous. The driver would have seen him. If he really didnt then he shouldnt be behind the wheel at all!
Image
LoveB
 
Posts: 543
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:33 pm

Re: Near miss cyclist vs 4WD Wallaroo Rd

Postby cp123 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:22 am

F A R K!!!!!
cp123
 
Posts: 894
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:50 pm

Re: Near miss cyclist vs 4WD Wallaroo Rd

Postby BoardRider » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:32 am

After pausing this a couple of times there is no reaction from the driver at all ,nice number plate! What a space cadet!
Board Rider

"Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going."
Source Unknown
User avatar
BoardRider
 
Posts: 142
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:18 pm
Location: Adelaide Hills

Re: Near miss cyclist vs 4WD Wallaroo Rd

Postby Summernight » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:40 pm

My last words would have been something similar when a car turned right in front of me and almost tossed me over her bonnet. She missed me by less than a metre and luckily she did see me at the end and stopped in time, but jeez.

I think I said something similar to what cp123 said as well as the 'ahhhh' like the cyclist in the video. AHHH FAAAAAA... :roll:
User avatar
Summernight
 
Posts: 1392
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:40 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Near miss cyclist vs 4WD Wallaroo Rd

Postby cp123 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:50 pm

fire truuuuuucccccccck? :lol:
cp123
 
Posts: 894
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:50 pm

Re: Near miss cyclist vs 4WD Wallaroo Rd

Postby Big_Red » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:07 pm

or far canal? :D
Image
User avatar
Big_Red
 
Posts: 365
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:00 pm
Location: Brisbane East

Re: Near miss cyclist vs 4WD Wallaroo Rd

Postby Howzat » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:25 am

LoveB wrote:If he really didnt then he shouldnt be behind the wheel at all!

No ifs about it. That driver shouldn't be behind a wheel, full stop!
User avatar
Howzat
 
Posts: 522
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:08 pm
Location: Canberra

Re: Near miss cyclist vs 4WD Wallaroo Rd

Postby apollocreed » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:31 am

Looks like visibility was pretty low. There is no reason the driver would maliciously drive like that. If the rider was using a light then the driver wasn't paying attention. But if not, then the car simply wouldn't have seen him
apollocreed
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:28 am

Re: Near miss cyclist vs 4WD Wallaroo Rd

Postby Summernight » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:41 pm

cp123 wrote:fire truuuuuucccccccck? :lol:


I think I would have been hit before I got any further than 'FAAA' :lol:
User avatar
Summernight
 
Posts: 1392
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:40 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Near miss cyclist vs 4WD Wallaroo Rd

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:11 pm

apollocreed wrote:Looks like visibility was pretty low. There is no reason the driver would maliciously drive like that. If the rider was using a light then the driver wasn't paying attention. But if not, then the car simply wouldn't have seen him

Yer think? :? Bullybus was a fair way back and clearly visible.

It is known that you don't see what you aren't looking for, do the test...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 25266
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: Near miss cyclist vs 4WD Wallaroo Rd

Postby bardygrub » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:30 am

Hence why i always put my hands near the brakes when coming up to a intersection. the driver there needs a good kick up the arse.
Image
Image
User avatar
bardygrub
 
Posts: 337
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:33 pm
Location: North East Victoria

Re: Near miss cyclist vs 4WD Wallaroo Rd

Postby bardygrub » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:32 am

apollocreed wrote:Looks like visibility was pretty low. There is no reason the driver would maliciously drive like that. If the rider was using a light then the driver wasn't paying attention. But if not, then the car simply wouldn't have seen him

Go back to your 4WD forum ya thing. Your post wins the Darwin award.
Image
Image
User avatar
bardygrub
 
Posts: 337
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:33 pm
Location: North East Victoria

Re: Near miss cyclist vs 4WD Wallaroo Rd

Postby Ross » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:45 am

apollocreed wrote:Looks like visibility was pretty low. There is no reason the driver would maliciously drive like that. If the rider was using a light then the driver wasn't paying attention. But if not, then the car simply wouldn't have seen him


if the light was so low then why didn't the 4WD have his lights on?
Image
User avatar
Ross
 
Posts: 3383
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:53 pm

Re: Near miss cyclist vs 4WD Wallaroo Rd

Postby bardygrub » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:07 am

apollocreed wrote:Looks like visibility was pretty low. There is no reason the driver would maliciously drive like that. If the rider was using a light then the driver wasn't paying attention. But if not, then the car simply wouldn't have seen him

Level of mounted camera would be a lot lower then level of drivers eyes, the vid clearly shows the 4WD in sight and the angle of the approching 4wd means a light on the bike would of made no difference what so ever.
Surely you being a new member here on a cycling forum and posting a comment like that makes me wonder :roll:
Image
Image
User avatar
bardygrub
 
Posts: 337
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:33 pm
Location: North East Victoria

Re: Near miss cyclist vs 4WD Wallaroo Rd

Postby outnabike » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:20 am

apollocreed wrote:Looks like visibility was pretty low. There is no reason the driver would maliciously drive like that. If the rider was using a light then the driver wasn't paying attention. But if not, then the car simply wouldn't have seen him


It may not be malicious but it sure is bad corner cutting and clearly negligent. It is the sort of driving that kills others.
This bloke is on the wrong side of the road and cutting the corner into on coming traffic is he not???

Image
outnabike
 
Posts: 483
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:53 pm
Location: Melbourne Vic

Re: Near miss cyclist vs 4WD Wallaroo Rd

Postby twizzle » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:39 pm

I stopped riding Wallaroo road a long time ago. Too many of locals are "special".
I ride, therefore I am.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...
User avatar
twizzle
 
Posts: 6382
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:45 am
Location: Taking a break.

Re: Near miss cyclist vs 4WD Wallaroo Rd

Postby RobertFrith » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:09 pm

apollocreed wrote:Looks like visibility was pretty low. There is no reason the driver would maliciously drive like that. If the rider was using a light then the driver wasn't paying attention. But if not, then the car simply wouldn't have seen him

Visibility is fine, it only looks a bit dark as the camera is trying to compensate for a bright sky.
The only things affecting visibility were the driver's smartphone or the insides of their eyelids.
Image
User avatar
RobertFrith
 
Posts: 1179
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 9:27 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Near miss cyclist vs 4WD Wallaroo Rd

Postby apollocreed » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:47 pm

bardygrub wrote:Level of mounted camera would be a lot lower then level of drivers eyes, the vid clearly shows the 4WD in sight and the angle of the approching 4wd means a light on the bike would of made no difference what so ever.
Surely you being a new member here on a cycling forum and posting a comment like that makes me wonder :roll:


firstly. being a new member on this site doesn't accurately represent my cycling experience or give my opinion a lesser meaning. i am a member on a number of other cycling forums, so don't be too quick to judge. i disagree, a light can make quite a difference, especially in scenarios like this. i'm not sure if the rider was using one or not, and i think that's unclear. the camera is mounted on a helmet, and so would be roughly eye level of the driver, if used the light was presumably on the handlebars which you would expect to be visible.

bike lights can be visible from a horizontal angle of up to 120 degrees which the driver was within

mostly my reply was in response to 'biker jk' who pointed out it was malicious and that the driver must have seen them and then swerved into them.

bardygrub wrote:Go back to your 4WD forum ya thing. Your post wins the Darwin award.


on a better note, your post wins the 'the most head up ones own ass' award, congrats !

outnabike wrote:
It may not be malicious but it sure is bad corner cutting and clearly negligent. It is the sort of driving that kills others.
This bloke is on the wrong side of the road and cutting the corner into on coming traffic is he not???


I agree, terribly executed corner. i don't believe it to be malicious however as stated by others
apollocreed
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:28 am

Re: Near miss cyclist vs 4WD Wallaroo Rd

Postby bardygrub » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:02 pm

apollocreed wrote:
bardygrub wrote:Level of mounted camera would be a lot lower then level of drivers eyes, the vid clearly shows the 4WD in sight and the angle of the approching 4wd means a light on the bike would of made no difference what so ever.
Surely you being a new member here on a cycling forum and posting a comment like that makes me wonder :roll:


firstly. being a new member on this site doesn't accurately represent my cycling experience or give my opinion a lesser meaning. i am a member on a number of other cycling forums, so don't be too quick to judge. i disagree, a light can make quite a difference, especially in scenarios like this. i'm not sure if the rider was using one or not, and i think that's unclear. the camera is mounted on a helmet, and so would be roughly eye level of the driver, if used the light was presumably on the handlebars which you would expect to be visible.

bike lights can be visible from a horizontal angle of up to 120 degrees which the driver was within

mostly my reply was in response to 'biker jk' who pointed out it was malicious and that the driver must have seen them and then swerved into them.

bardygrub wrote:Go back to your 4WD forum ya thing. Your post wins the Darwin award.


on a better note, your post wins the 'the most head up ones own ass' award, congrats !

outnabike wrote:
It may not be malicious but it sure is bad corner cutting and clearly negligent. It is the sort of driving that kills others.
This bloke is on the wrong side of the road and cutting the corner into on coming traffic is he not???


I agree, terribly executed corner. i don't believe it to be malicious however as stated by others


Only If the Rider was 8' tall

and thankyou for the award.
Image
Image
User avatar
bardygrub
 
Posts: 337
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:33 pm
Location: North East Victoria

Re: Near miss cyclist vs 4WD Wallaroo Rd

Postby TimW » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:04 pm

There is no reason the driver would maliciously drive like that. If the rider was using a light then the driver wasn't paying attention. But if not, then the car simply wouldn't have seen him


Unless your the driver in the car, you cannot summise or assume what the driver saw or did not see, the only obvious thing is that he nearly killed a cyclist, and if i was that cyclist i would be following the matter through with the authorities.
With a nick like Appollocreed i hope you don't get punched to much around the ring after such a grand entrance lol :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Image
User avatar
TimW
 
Posts: 1361
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:37 pm
Location: Near the M7C


Return to ACT

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Support BNA
Click for online shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Cycling Express Cycling Express
Ebay Ebay AU
ProBikeKit ProBikeKit UK
Evans Cycles Evans Cycles UK
JensonUSA Jenson USA
JensonUSA Competitive Cyclist