Old federal highway assault‏

jcjordan

Re: Old federal highway assault‏

Postby jcjordan » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:06 am

My concern after speaking to Twizzle is the lack of charges being laid by police.
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:10 am

So, this clown runs into a bike, knocks a rider off the bike and onto the ground and then grabs him by the throat and no charges are laid? Totally and utterly ridiculous. It almost seems worth trying to see if the media will run a story that might publicise the Police inaction on the incident.

What was the exact outcome of Police "investigations', Twiz?

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:38 am

Use the media. Its what theyre there for - to hold government agencies to account.

skull

Postby skull » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:37 am

I might head up there today for a look.

I feel like having a bit of a play. Last bloke that tried to rough me ended up with a bit of a shock.

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:20 pm

skull wrote:I might head up there today for a look.

I feel like having a bit of a play. Last bloke that tried to rough me ended up with a bit of a shock.
I am not doing the criteria next Saturday if you want someone to ride out there with you.

He had a mate with him so it will put the odds back in our favour if they try anything ;-)
James

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:02 pm

This will not end well. Just sayin'.

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:15 pm

mrgolf wrote:This will not end well. Just sayin'.
Talking to Twizzle this morning I suspect that we won't be seeing a end to this for a while.

The September incident only went to court last December so this one while most not likely to see a court for quite a while.

Hopefully they use the charges beyond the common assault into something more substantial.
James

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:28 pm

No charges yet, they need the witness statements, but it was being treated as "common assault".

Rear wheel out of true, scratches and paint left on wheel and frame, shifter scratched, bar tape stuffed... and my neck isn't working properly.

Pater is a retired AFP superintendent... game on.

Sent from my iThingy...
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

Ross

Postby Ross » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:49 pm

jcjordan wrote:
mrgolf wrote:This will not end well. Just sayin'.
Talking to Twizzle this morning I suspect that we won't be seeing a end to this for a while.

The September incident only went to court last December so this one while most not likely to see a court for quite a while.

Hopefully they use the charges beyond the common assault into something more substantial.
No disrespect meant to Twizzle or Sue, but I don't like the chances of anything more than a slap on the wrist happening to these people.

You just need to look at Jill Meagher's killer Adrian Bayley. He's got a long history of violent rapes, starting when he was 18. He was released on parole in 2010 after serving 8 years in prison for sixteen counts of rape committed against five victims and was still on parole when he killed Meagher, after the Victorian Adult Parole Board decided not to rescind his freedom when Bayley punched a man in Geelong in 2011.

cp123

Postby cp123 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:19 am

mrgolf wrote:So, this clown runs into a bike, knocks a rider off the bike and onto the ground and then grabs him by the throat and no charges are laid? Totally and utterly ridiculous. It almost seems worth trying to see if the media will run a story that might publicise the Police inaction on the incident.

What was the exact outcome of Police "investigations', Twiz?

Far canal....... hang in there Twiz.

Where does this creep get off? Pushing round a bloke on a pushie while he's in half a tonne of cage...? :evil: :evil:

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:20 pm

I'm just going to say at this point... avoid that road.

The guy has some inherited/acquired issue and is getting away with his behaviour (at this time) because of it. Two assaults in two months, plus another incident last year, I have no idea what he fronted court for in May, because (from what I was told) he hasn't been charged with the April incident yet.

skull

Postby skull » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:42 pm

twizzle wrote:I'm just going to say at this point... avoid that road.

I usually ride early so no doubt the clown will still be snoring when I would normally go up and down.

I was tempted to stalk the road with some Army buddies, but pretty sure I would only get myself in trouble with the police (and I can't afford that sort of issue messing with my employability).

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:04 pm

Might be time to invest in a Go-Pro or two, I think.

And if this guy has some kind of psychiatric disorder, why does he also have a driver's license?

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:01 pm

Three pedal-power members attacked a couple of weeks ago, one struck with a torch, police investigating... "Grey commodore".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:51 am

twizzle wrote:Three pedal-power members attacked a couple of weeks ago, one struck with a torch, police investigating... "Grey commodore".

It makes me wonder how many events have not been reported.

We need to report every little incident so that we get a weight. With police if is not reported then it did not happen
James

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:03 pm

Problem is unless the incidents are part of a single charge sheet, each gets tried on their own merit and the other impending charges cannot even be mentioned while the current one is being addressed.

Yes, there are some slight flaws with the justice system, but there is no such thing as a perfect system. Don't go blaming judges, either. They are bound in their sentencing by laws and precedents.

As for licences for mentally ill people? Psychosis isnt stand alone enough to stop someone from having a licence.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:02 pm

Anyone one want to takes bets on there being another incident in the next three weeks?

Sent from my iThingy...

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:42 pm

Where's Tom?

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:47 pm

mrgolf wrote:Where's Tom?
?

Edit: Doh!

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:56 pm

:lol:

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:01 am

Chinese whispers : The "PedalPower" appears to be the Vikings group - the Silver Commodore turned into "Gray", "swung at" with a torch turned into "struck" with a torch and "has been charged" turned into "investigating".

So - two assaults in eight weeks.

Tom's odds just got better. :roll:

Ross

Postby Ross » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:29 pm

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-new ... 2pj7t.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Concern grows over highway threats

Date
July 7, 2013

IT'S A solitary stretch of road that has become a sanctuary for cyclists but the Old Federal Highway north of Canberra is now seeing fewer riders because of potential threats to their personal safety.

Police have investigated two different incidents in recent months involving allegations of assaults on cyclists - and now counter claims have been made against some cyclists.

The first reported incident happened at 10am on Sunday, April 21, when police alleged a 26-year-old Bungendore man drove close to a trio of cyclists before getting out of his car.

Police said the accused was acting in an ''aggressive manner'' and had pushed one of the riders over.

The man was charged with common assault and will appear in Queanbeyan Local Court in the coming weeks.

The latest incident happened on Saturday, June 22, when a 44-year-old Spence man said he was assaulted by a male driver, also aged 26, on the Old Federal Highway at about 1.20pm.

This time police say the driver was from Bywong, 14 minutes from Bungendore.

Also, police say following this incident the driver alleged he was surrounded and threatened by a group of cyclists who damaged his vehicle.

No charges have been laid following this latest incident but Queanbeyan police said the matter was still being investigated.

Talk of incidents on the stretch of road have circulated on the social media pages of ACT cycling clubs.

This past week the ACT Veterans Cycling Club warned its members not to ride on the road.

''We are concerned that the next incident may be the one where someone is seriously injured,'' said a note to members.

skull

Postby skull » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:02 pm

those scary cyclists, how dare they intimidate a bloke who is just minding his own business doing burnouts into people.

cp123

Postby cp123 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:04 pm

40 yo vs 50 year old?

Twiz - do you reckon this was your dude...? http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-new ... 2t51l.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :shock: or are there more crazy nutjobs out there?

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:26 pm

Nah - 26, and only drives dunnydores. There are a lot of nut jobs out there. :(
No news on my case, was charged and I haven't heard a thing since.

Sent from my iThingy...