Commonwealth Bridge - speed limit signs?

cp123

Commonwealth Bridge - speed limit signs?

Postby cp123 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:34 pm

Between yesterday morning and this morning, CW bridge has been redecorated with a number of pedestrian and bike stencils. (Well, the western side has, I haven't ridden on the eastern side yet). These are at the beginning and end of the bridge and in a couple of places up top. There is also 10 km written. :shock: :shock:

Now I'm never going to ride over the bridge at a stupid speed if there's other bikes or pedestrians anywhere in sight - and I assume most smart people won't either.

I guess I'm not really happy with the 10 km sign though. It doesn't say speed limit of 10 km per hour so maybe its an "advisory" sign suggesting people go at that speed. Either way, 10 kmph is pretty slow. I think there has been one significant incident on the bridge in the last 30 or so years that i've been riding - and that was where 2 riders collided about 12 months ago piffing one onto the road.

However, it also shows that pedestrians must keep left too. :D

Maybe because I'm not an aggressive rider or hoon, but i've been going over the bridge most days of the week for a hell of a lot of years and haven't managed to hit, injure or kill anyone yet. Ride sensibly, ride to the conditions and expect the unexpected and everyone should be fine. :roll: I don't honestly expect i'll be riding under 10 kmph and neither will 99% of other riders.

Is it overkill? :|

nescius

Re: Commonwealth Bridge - speed limit signs?

Postby nescius » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:11 pm

I didn't notice any signs on the eastern side when I crossed over it this morning.

10kmh seems unnecessarily slow, I've certainly never had a problem at a nice easy 20kmh and I can't see why I couldn't go quicker if it's clear. I can't think of any other shared path that has a speed limit imposed on it, and I would be surprised if they could enforce it.

It sounds like overkill to me, I didn't think there was a problem as most people seem to do the right thing. I wonder if a specific incident prompted it, or if someone made a complaint?
Scott Spark 900 RC | Yeti Arc | Yeti SB130 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack

nescius

Postby nescius » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:17 pm

In this article there is mention of the western side becoming a dismount zone while waiting for the money to become available to raise the railing to a safer height.
National Capital Authority chief executive Gary Rake has confirmed the railing on the western footpath of Commonwealth Avenue Bridge needs to be raised at a cost of $3 million but the money won't be available within its rolling capital work budget until 2015-16.

If the situation is judged to be too dangerous in the meantime, the western footpath of the bridge could be changed to a demount zone – only to be used by pedestrians and people walking their bikes. The eastern footpath of the bridge has a higher railing.
Scott Spark 900 RC | Yeti Arc | Yeti SB130 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack

cp123

Postby cp123 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:17 pm

that's what i mean - I usually ride over it at a safe speed - whatever that safe speed is. Sometimes its close to 9 pm with no-one else in sight and i can wind it up a bit, other times its in peak hours and you have to creep along at 10 kmph behind multiple groups of 4 abreast pedestrians. Maybe they'll still do the eastern side or maybe its because of the previous collision on the western side that has prompted this.

I always do slow towards either end though in case a pedestrian pops up and out of the entrances or stairs.

cp123

Postby cp123 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:19 pm

or this - cut and pasted from a PP newsletter I got the other day...

Have your say on Kings and Commonwealth Avenues

The National Capital Authority is looking at the management and renewal of Kings and Commonwealth Avenues. It covers the full length of these avenues, not just the bridges. Access for people who ride bicycles is one issue being considered. Pedal Power is preparing a submission. To make your individual submission in support of improved facilities to get more people cycling, see http://www.nationalcapital.gov.au/havey ... nsultation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Submissions close on 28 June.

Tornado

Postby Tornado » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:21 pm

nescius wrote:I wonder if a specific incident prompted it, or if someone made a complaint?
Or has some tool has decided to make their own stencil and create an un-official limit. Harold Scruby would love it!
Last edited by Tornado on Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2015 Specialized Tarmac
2012 Avanti Giro3

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:22 pm

Fine make it a demountable zone and I will ride on the road and block traffic.

Might have to do that now that they have made it 10am.

Also for everyone's knowledge the Bike must exit signs have no legal backing under both the Australian or ACT road rules, as best I can figure they are actually illegal, so you don't have to worry when you ignore them.
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

cp123

Postby cp123 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:30 pm

Within the last 6 months or so, a sign went up on the southern end of the northbound lane saying "careful low guard rail ahead" or something to that effect. The trouble is that I think 80% of people crossing the bridge (and certainly the majority of people on bikes) go up curly on ramp to the bridge from the bike path below. However, the low guard rail sign is about 50 metres further south of the bike path entrance (if that makes sense). So people walking or riding north from Albert Hall would see the sign, but nobody using the main bike on ramp would.

m@

Postby m@ » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:37 pm

Is the 10Km stenciled on the path or a separate sign?

The Pedal Power bulletin seems to indicate that the speed limit is only temporary while line markings etc are being painted:
Pedal Power wrote:Commonwealth Avenue Bridge West Shared Pathway works update
Following the message in the last e-bulletin about works to install additional safety signage and line markings on Commonwealth Avenue Bridge west, the NCA have updated us that some of the line marking and other work has been delayed due to the wet weather. They will still be working in the area for about another week. Whilst the work is underaway the NCA have advised us that the speed limit for this path network is 10 kmph. For further information please contact the NCA Estate Management Unit on 6271 2888.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:51 pm

I'm confused. Which is the western side and which is the eastern side? I go by northbound or southbound.

nescius

Postby nescius » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:10 pm

Ross wrote:I'm confused. Which is the western side and which is the eastern side? I go by northbound or southbound.
The western side is northbound and the eastern side is southbound 8)

cp123

Postby cp123 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:56 pm

Ross wrote:I'm confused. Which is the western side and which is the eastern side? I go by northbound or southbound.

but you can ride a bike southbound on the northbound lane... :lol: that's why i said western side.

How about Museum side and central basin of the lake sides then? lol

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:12 pm

I saw those stencils yesterday.I ride the road a fair bit anyway. I would much rather ride the road than get off or ride at 10kmh. Thats absurd. This is not going to end well.

cbrchrisf

Postby cbrchrisf » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:27 pm

One of my mates ran across the bridge at 18km/ph the other day....

skull

Postby skull » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:48 pm

those sort of speed limits are advisory anyway and not enforceable.

Cruiserman

Postby Cruiserman » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:03 pm

As the signs say 10km, I just assumed that I was riding much quicker as it did not take very long to cover that marked 10km :D

As for the supposed speed limit it is simply a matter of common sense (yeah I know not so common and not so sensible) if there is a lot of traffic take it a bit easier after all it is not very far across the bridge - despite the signs indicating 10km, - God help us all when the do gooders get the place fully nannied.
2008 Specialized SWorks Roubaix SL - Zipps - Campag - Nuff Said
1986 Spokesman Model 11 Racing - Campag Nuvo Record - Stronglight - Shimano 600

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:09 pm

I have been making a point to ride on the road every time regardless of traffic. When one driver asked why and I explained to to her even she agreed it was stupid, but still told me that I should get off the road.
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:37 pm

Is there any update on this? My commute's just changed from Woden to Civic and this speed limit is ridiculous. Also the bridge over Parkes Way onto Allara St is marked dismount, which isn't going to happen in road bike shoes... You'd think the ACT Government would have better ways to quantify the number of cyclists using these paths than to make them complain about stupid restrictions...

cp123

Postby cp123 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:53 pm

I go over CW bridge pretty much every day. Nothing has changed. The smart people take their time, respect other riders/walkers and don't try to do pushy or stupid overtakes. And then there are some that can't wait a second or more and don't want to be held up and continue to fang along at 30 kmph while trying to pass a walker when there's an oncoming walker 10 feet away... But thankfully they're the large minority. Just ride safely and you'll be fine.

Re the footbridge into Allara street - :shock: that is bloody stupid.