Work finally started on Molonglo Reach bike path bridge

Work finally started on Molonglo Reach bike path bridge

Postby Ross » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:00 am

THE former famous red pedestrian bridge of Belconnen has been given another lease on life after more than 350 litres of paint and a 15 kilometre move.

Dismantled in September 2009 to make way for the mall's expansion, the distinctive pedestrian bridge over Joynton Smith Drive, had connected the car park on Lathlain Street to Westfield Belconnen for foot traffic from the mid-1970s .

Minister for Territory and Municipal Services Shane Rattenbury said the $1.8 million project was replacing the shared path at Molonglo Reach, which was damaged by floods in March 2012.

''The former 'red bridge' has been painted grey to blend into the landscaping and has been dismantled into six sections to be progressively installed over the next three weeks,'' Mr Rattenbury said.
Advertisement

''The bridge has been separated into sections to help minimise disruptions to traffic on Morshead Drive during the installation phase.''

He said work to repair the embankment adjacent to the former shared path, as well as to stabilise the retaining wall, was complete.

''The new abutments and piers for the bridge have also already been installed in preparation for the bridge deck.''

Mr Rattenbury said work to build the new pedestrian bridge has been carefully planned to ensure it did not impact on the recreational use of the lake, as well as to protect the river habitat.

''During construction, particular care has been taken to ensure the local flora and fauna species have been protected. This included a number of burrows which are home to a group of platypuses.''

The ''new'' bridge will be completed by 2014 and was funded by ACT government insurance.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-new ... z2krNxfOgx

I reckon it's a pity it has been painted grey. The red bridge from Belconnen Mall is a bit of an icon I reckon.
Ross

by BNA » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:42 pm

BNA

Re: Work finally started on Molonglo Reach bike path bridge

Postby mrgolf » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:42 pm

Interesting they use the phrase "shared path" to describe formally titled bike paths. Seems they have moved well away from cycle specific infrastructure. Glad I ride roads.
mrgolf

Postby jcjordan » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:01 pm

mrgolf wrote:Interesting they use the phrase "shared path" to describe formally titled bike paths. Seems they have moved well away from cycle specific infrastructure. Glad I ride roads.

For some reason common terminology refers to the paths as bike paths. In term of their actual legal status they are shared paths which is why pedestrians have right of way.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home
jcjordan

Postby anttismo » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:07 am

Amazing to see that bridge being re-used. I grew up in holt/higgins, moved out there at age 2 in '73, and obviously "The Mall" was a big part of life once it opened in '77~78 or whenever it was. My teenage years involved a lot of loitering around the mall on friday nights, and riding pushies around the place on weekends and such, the lake, cameron offices, benjamin offices etc. So anyway, the red bridge certianly brings back some memories. I'll have go ride over it sometime in the future when I'm up there, even if it is repainted :)
anttismo

Postby Ross » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:37 pm

anttismo wrote:Amazing to see that bridge being re-used. I grew up in holt/higgins, moved out there at age 2 in '73, and obviously "The Mall" was a big part of life once it opened in '77~78 or whenever it was. My teenage years involved a lot of loitering around the mall on friday nights, and riding pushies around the place on weekends and such, the lake, cameron offices, benjamin offices etc. So anyway, the red bridge certianly brings back some memories. I'll have go ride over it sometime in the future when I'm up there, even if it is repainted :)

Me too! "Quick, lets go, the Green Man* is coming"
*Belconnen Mall security gurad
Ross

Return to ACT