Northside Training Rides

LuckyPierre

Northside Training Rides

Postby LuckyPierre » Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:08 pm

This morning, I rode a Kingsford Smith Drive / William Hovell Drive based route (the big boys from the World Long Distance Triathlon Championships were using Coppins Crossing / Cotter Road). I've put it on www.bikely.com at http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/LuckyPierre-Kingsford-Smith-William-Hovell-Training-Ride. It's got some long, reasonably gentle climbing and plenty of descents to get your legs back! The Ginninderra Drive section is a good flat hit out, too.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:14 pm

Good map Peter.
Edited - image resized
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:40 pm

I squashed the map down a bit (well, rather a lot, really). You can see it on bikely.
It was a good ride, too. The outward leg up and down Mt Rogers (more of a hill) is good - it twists enough that you can't see that it is still going up and you can (almost) break the 70 km/hr speed limit on the way back! I was just over 60 when I looked up and saw a bus pulling away from a stop about 100 metres in front of me and I had to brake a bit. :wink: Then I was too far down the hill to challenge the limit again. :? Later, I got to see some of the field in the tri championships - it seems that a Cervelo P3 is de riguer for the trendy 'tri-guy'. :)
I put the route up because it is pretty typical of the suburban riding that we can do in Canberra and it never gets more than 5 or 6 km from home.

LuckyPierre

ACT Vets - Lodge Ride to Shingle Hill

Postby LuckyPierre » Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:58 am

This morning I joined the Lodge Ride for the first time. We went out to Shingle Hill (well, that's as far as I got, the others went on to Lake George) and back.
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/LuckyPierre-Lodge-Ride-to-Shingle-Hill
The route is pretty direct and pretty easy - the climbs on the Highway are gentle, but the pace of the others (I was the only F grader amongst a bunch of B and C grade riders) eventually told and I had to turn back.
It was a good ride all the same!

LuckyPierre

Northside (Kurringai Drive) Training Route

Postby LuckyPierre » Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:28 pm

My first real training ride for the year http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/LuckyPierre-Kurringai-Training-Ride.
It's a pretty flat route, with a good chance to stretch out along Kurringai Drive.
I averaged 27.4 km/hr for the 36.25 km (according to my computer).

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:43 pm

Peter, you should set yourself up a training log.

Heres mine;

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=90279

TriggerFish

Postby TriggerFish » Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:41 pm

I really liked reading your training journal on the other forum Mike. I used to train a lot...a real lot, but, could never say I was as committed as you. Very impressed.

How's "the staple" going? I really can't picture it in my head. But it brought a smile to my face trying.

Ciao,

TF.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:29 pm

The wheel is where lie on you back and then you lift your body upwards between your feet and hands arching your back in a half circle. been a guy, your back doesn't arch like a girls, so you are virtually doing a hover/plank upside down, putting a huge amount of stress on your shoulders and core - hence the "staple" joke.

Check out my log at the end of Febuary once I have got back to work and are doing everything.

Edit: The wheel is also called Upward Bow or Chakrasana. Bet Nada is good at this one.

TriggerFish

Postby TriggerFish » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:05 pm

I reckon the wheel looks downwrite painful...yet somewhat arousing.

I took a leaf out of your training record book and started a blog to track my get fit efforts. Not much to it yet, but, it is a first effort at blogging and a bit restricted by it being on msn spaces. Hopefully I will get the hang of it sooner or later. I added a link to this site and the bikely site. If anyone minds, let me know and I will take the links down.

Trig's Fitness Kick

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:42 am

Hey Trig, I see you are a cross trainer like me.

TriggerFish

Postby TriggerFish » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:58 am

I wanted to get back into the weights. Been a long while since I did it properly. I am going to start playing squash again too. From what I have read, it does as much good for you in terms of cardio vascular as boxing! Which surprised me a little....until I played my neighbour who is way better than me....hehe.

Finally got my heart rate monitor going....kind of. Not too impressed with the reliability of my polar F6 I have to say.....but I like the upload to the web training diary functionality of it.

urg....just realised that I have really derailed this thread...apologies.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:52 pm

TriggerFish wrote:Finally got my heart rate monitor going....kind of. Not too impressed with the reliability of my polar F6 I have to say.....but I like the upload to the web training diary functionality of it..

I don't know the F6, but I have the CS200 with the new, soft strap system (instead of the older style with the 6" long plastic contact unit). You need to wet the two contact patches first and I've found that it's critical that you have them wet enough. Once they are, and on, I've found mine to be super reliable (doesn't tell me I'm dead when I'm demonstrably not). Something to look at?

Richard

TriggerFish

Postby TriggerFish » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:42 pm

Definately something to think about. The wife might tell another story though. :(

My F6 ran out of batteries (I think). It locked up/froze one day when I was adjusting the settings. I left it in the cupboard for about a month, then decided to look at it again. By then, the screen was completely blank. I took it and got a new battery put in it. Shortly after, it locked up again. So I opened it up and pulled the battery out and put it back in again. It works for the most part now. It doesn't accept the heart rate zones that I set and I can't turn the stinking "you are not in your heart rate zone" bloody alarm that beeps constantly because it wont accept the aforementioned heart rate zones that I want to set......*sigh*. But, it does monitor my heart rate and calories etc etc and I can still upload to the website and keep a cardio training diary online, which I really like. So I am going to dive into the manual and see if there is any troubleshooting tips etc or anything that I have missed. Basically I think it is a little eccentric. But the functionality that I use most still works.

You are right about the contacts. I usually use my finger with a bit of saliva on each one to start with and then rely on the fact that I sweat like a pig the rest of the time. Works like a treat :wink: .