Gungahlin to Tuggeranong route advice

Gungahlin to Tuggeranong route advice

Postby jacksonho » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:35 am

Hi all,

I'm after some route advice please, I've been booked into a training course in the Tuggeranong area (Kambah) on Friday this week. I am hoping to get there by bike to stretch the legs a bit further than the usual daily commute. What is the recommended way seeing I need to be there by 8:30ish? I am happy to leave a bit earlier to go a safer route, it appears I can either go down the GDE onto Tuggeranong Parkway but driving that road from memory it appeared a bit sketchy? The other option I am thinking is into the city my standard way down Northbourne then around Parliament House then onto Yarra Glen and Athllon drive?
jacksonho

by BNA » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:57 am

BNA

Re: Gungahlin to Tuggeranong route advice

Postby ACT SC600 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:57 am

On my commute (without adding in any extras) I either roll to Woden from Ngunnawal...

Up Flemmington, Down Northbourne, Round Parl House, Then str8 down Adelaide and you can cruise past the Hospital and off to Kambah...

Or

Grind up the GDE, Left on to Lady Denman Dr and follow the bike path to Adelaide Avenue then roll Kambah
ACT SC600

Postby Ross » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:05 pm

jacksonho wrote:Hi all,

I'm after some route advice please, I've been booked into a training course in the Tuggeranong area (Kambah) on Friday this week. I am hoping to get there by bike to stretch the legs a bit further than the usual daily commute. What is the recommended way seeing I need to be there by 8:30ish? I am happy to leave a bit earlier to go a safer route, it appears I can either go down the GDE onto Tuggeranong Parkway but driving that road from memory it appeared a bit sketchy? The other option I am thinking is into the city my standard way down Northbourne then around Parliament House then onto Yarra Glen and Athllon drive?

Yes, stay away from GDE/Tuggeranong Parkway. You can go Northbourne>YG>Athlon but that will bring you out further down near Tuggeranong Town Centre and you will have to ride back up the Parkway a few kms back to Kambah.

Another way you can go which will bring you out at Kambah is Northbourne>Commonwealth>Adelaide>(right) Hindmarsh> (left) Darwinia> (R) Steeton> (R) Namatjira (turns into Sulwood Dr). This brings you out at the Tuggeranong Parkway at Kambah. The Kambah shops are about 500m down the road.

It takes me 1hr 15 mins to Maccas at TTC from Nugnunnawal if I go the Athlon Dr route (so probably around the same time if you turned at the Parkway and rode back up to Kambah.

Not sure how long the other route takes as I do a loop back through Woden to the city and also go out to Kambah Pool and back. This complete loop would take me approximately 2 hr 30 mins (starting at Ngunnawal and finish in city).

There is a bike path that goes from Kambah and brings you out near Hindmarsh, I've only ever used it heading back toward Woden from Tuggeranong rather than opposite way. Best to scope it out after work when you have no time constraints so that way if you take a wrong turn you won't end up late for your training course.
Ross

Postby x8pg2qr » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:23 am

For a completely off-road route, I rode this a few days ago going in the other direction.

http://goo.gl/maps/N61PH

It’s about 30km, and doesn’t even start from Tuggeranong. To get to Tuggeranong, go a bit further beyond the southern tip of the red line, through Fisher, and connect to the cycleway along Tuggeranong Parkway.

I probably went the wrong way around Lake Ginninderra.

Picture, in case the Google Maps link fails in the future
x8pg2qr

Postby wombat 23 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:02 am

I would take the extra time and go the bike path route. Its much nicer and safer. the only part to watch out for is up Benjamin way from lake Ginninderra (Belconnen mall) to Belconnen way. After scrivener dam I would head for Woden via Curtin then on to Tuggeranong on Athallon Drive :)
wombat 23

Postby cp123 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:54 am

and/or over Scrivenor Dam - continue all the way along to weston creek (streeton drive) along the river trail (past the old rspca) and up Streeton Drive, right down Sulwood and a quick right to Kambah Village shops. or wherever.
cp123

Postby TonyMax » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:21 am

I commute from Casey occasionally, and I hit up the bike paths to Mitchell, use the roadside bike lane on GDE from Mitchell to Glenloch Interchange, then head back onto bike paths down over the dam, around the back of Curtin then up the hill through Chifley, under the Parkway and down along beside Drakeford Drive.

I know this might be too late but this is the way I go (Google maps gets it mostly right, there are a couple of boo boos but it's 99% correct):

http://goo.gl/maps/6aMRZ
TonyMax

Postby TonyMax » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:27 am

Also heading south on the Parkway there's now a "Bicycles Must Exit" sign or something similar at the Lady Denman Drive exit, and at least one particularly narrow bridge before Cotter Road.

There's no way I would head along there on a bicycle although I have seen some fools cycling along there (I wouldn't like to be them crossing some of those bridges in traffic).
TonyMax

Return to ACT