Corrin Honeysuckle and Fitz advice

Corrin Honeysuckle and Fitz advice

Postby jacksonho » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:39 pm

Hi all,

After some advice for some south climbs (Corrin, Honeysuckle and Fitz). We plan on doing around a 100km loop starting with Corrin, back down towards Tharwa into Honeysuckle and Fitz . I have climbed the city peaks so reasonably ready for it but happy for the challenge. What is the water situation along these routes, is there a place to fill them up before we hit Honeysuckle if we go through Tharwa. I’ve only looked at Corrin and Fitz on Strava, is there an obvious marker to show when we have crested the top, I’m a bit worried about going too far on Corrin road or much past Fitz.

Thanks
Gavin
jacksonho

by BNA » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:29 pm

BNA

Re: Corrin Honeysuckle and Fitz advice

Postby kunama » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:29 pm

Nice ride you have planned, water available at Corin Forest "resort", you can stop at Tharwa to get water etc (shop there), you can also get water at the Namadgi Information Centre along Naas/Boboyan Road.
Once you hit Apollo Road to Honeysuckle only water is on the farms.
kunama

Postby Ross » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:12 pm

Tharwa shop has bottled water for sale or you can fill up for free at the toilet block just down the road. You can buy water at Corin Forest shop or get it for free at the toilet block if you go all the way to Corin Dam. Water also available at the top of Honeysuckle in the toilet block.

It will be obvious when you get to the top of Fitz's, if you start going downhill again then you've gone too far! If you get to end of the bitumen then you have definitely gone way too far! There's a grassy area off to the right where you can pull over off the road and have a breather. I don't think there's any actual sign saying Fitz's Hill so that's actually a good question. Fitz's starts not far after going over a narrow wooden plank bridge.

Corin is rolling steep hills to a few hundred metres after the Corin Forest Resort then it's mostly downhill to the actual dam. You can't go any further than the dam unless you have a MTB or want to bushwalk.
Ross

Postby GregLR » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:41 pm

Tank water is available from taps at the basins in the amenities blocks at Corin Dam, Honeysuckle Ck campground & the old Orroral Tracking Station site (near the picnic area). Some additional comments:

- at the old Orroral tracking station site there's also a tap in the picnic area that is fed by the water tanks next to the amenities block. But note that the water at the Orroral campground (which is about halfway along the road to the old TS site) is river water & should be boiled (according to a comment by the Namadgi ranger several years ago).

- the ranger also said that the water in the amenities block at Corin Dam is the same water that is used at the ranger's house.

- you can also get tank water directly from a tap adjacent to the water tanks at Honeysuckle Ck campground (ie, just along from the amenities block).

- the ranger also advised that the water from the amenities block at Glendale Crossing is river water & should be boiled (Glendale Crossing is on the Boboyan Rd, in the Namadgi National Park, on the courses of the longer rides in the annual Fitz's Challenge event).

- I was also told by the Namadgi ranger that the water from the taps in the amenities blocks at Tharwa is river water and should be boiled. So it's best to buy water from the shop.

I used the above information when organising the annual 'Namadgi Grimpeur' audax rides (held in early - mid January) before I moved away from Canberra last October.

Greg
GregLR

Postby skull » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:21 pm

Ross wrote:It will be obvious when you get to the top of Fitz's, if you start going downhill again then you've gone too far! If you get to end of the bitumen then you have definitely gone way too far! There's a grassy area off to the right where you can pull over off the road and have a breather. I don't think there's any actual sign saying Fitz's Hill so that's actually a good question. Fitz's starts not far after going over a narrow wooden plank bridge.

I found the hardest part of Fitz's during the Fitz's Challenge was going down then up the second hill to the turn around at rendezvous creek. Fitz's is nothing in comparison to the hard slog grinding that goes on there.
skull

Return to ACT