henders

Postby henders » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:24 pm

Last edited by henders on Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ross

Re: Likelihood of Bike path accidents

Postby Ross » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:04 pm

He should be ok. Just got watch out when crossing the roads though if he goes the right way most of the road crossings should be traffic light controlled. There's a couple at North Lyneham on Mouat St that aren't though. Just need to be alert and listen for faster riders coming up behind as some of them have no manners or patience and will overtake in the most inappropriate (stupid/dangerous) areas. And stay left on the path and if he comes up to people walking and give a ding of the bell as he is approaching to let them know a bike is coming up behind and slow down a bit when passing. 99% of walkers will move to the left to let riders past and some give a friendly thank you wave.

nescius

Postby nescius » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:06 pm

Agree with Ross, he should be fine. He will need to have his wits about him though because there are a plenty of commuter cyclists who exhibit the same "must get in front" mentality that you see from cars when they come up to slower riders, the numbers tend to drop down when the weather cools off though so he shouldn't have to deal with too many. Make sure he has a good set of lights for winter commuting, some sections of the paths can be quite dark.
Scott Spark 900 RC | Yeti Arc | Yeti SB130 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:13 pm

I've been riding the southern paths for years. The only incident I've had was someone change lanes into me as I went past. He was wearing earphones so didn't hear me and didn't look. That's a pretty good record for over 4 years of commuting and speaks for our network of paths pretty well.

cp123

Postby cp123 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:23 pm

it also depends on his own skill and riding attitude. Is he a MGIF or testosterone filled commuter cup rider himself? or is he happy to ride just ride along safely and protect his own neck (I'm one of the latter!).

If he rides safely and predictably he can control his own behaviour - none of us can control other riders - but I've been doing it for 30 or so years and touch wood have only had 1 broken leg during that time. But I go the other way - from tug to the city.