Location of the ‘alternative path’ for the shared path

Location of the ‘alternative path’ for the shared path

Postby FromTheCapital » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:00 pm

This is a horrible decision by TAMS (or whoever made it)

http://pedalpower.org.au/news/location- ... ing-woden/
FromTheCapital

by BNA » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:13 pm

BNA

Re: Location of the ‘alternative path’ for the shared path

Postby lobstermash » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:13 pm

What a shocker! There's no way I'd be able to negotiate that bit of path with my new 'bent... Not to mention that corner is completely blind and already dangerous with the little traffic it sees now, let along being the main carriage way.
Passing on your right - me, said just about never...
lobstermash

Postby cp123 » Thu May 01, 2014 9:23 am

I go home along that track usually and won't be using that new route. I go south along Adelaide Ave, turn right at Phillip College/Launceston Street and then turn left at the street that goes up behind callam offices (whatever its called). Now I will turn left at the same place, go down through the carpark outside the Smith Family building, cross over the stormwater drain there where the cat colony lives (just near the Hellenic club) and then go left on Callum street past the callum space station and the police station and keep going. It'll be a bit of a pain at the Hindmarsh/Athllon lights but then I'll cross the corner diagonally to the Kentucky Fried Chicken corner and then continue along the path along Athllon Drive.

I think that's far easier than the new never been advertised until today alternative.
cp123

Postby lobstermash » Thu May 01, 2014 4:23 pm

Well, I was the 'first customer' as the builder put it. There's not the slightest chance of getting my recumbent around that corner and up the hill without getting off and wheeling it in the mornings, and it's not going to be easy negotiating traffic coming the other way in the afternoon.
lobstermash

Postby cp123 » Thu May 01, 2014 5:36 pm

you might have to just ride all the way down Athllon Drive/Callum Street and join onto the path near Phillip College.

Do you have a helmet mirror lobster? I have had a recumbent dude zoom past me a few times recently. One night he was on a road bike and we had a chat for a bit of the way home. In hindsight i'm wondering whether that was you. :lol: :shock:

I'm always riding home in the dark down that way (from the city). If you ever see someone fat and slow (lol) and with both flashing blue and red lights on a backpack that's probably me. say hi if you want! :D It'd be good to put another face to a name.
cp123

Postby lobstermash » Thu May 01, 2014 6:53 pm

No helmet mirror for me... I've been riding a metallic light blue recumbent (BikeE) three days a week and riding a roadie on the other days, however I've just bought a snazzy new machine, which is a crunchie gold colour (still riding a roadie a couple of days a week though) - you probably haven't seen it yet, as I literally only got it last Thursday night. I'll look out for the red and blue lights.

Unfortunately the alternative routes are all pretty bad for me. I used to only go to Woden, and kept on the west side of Athllon. Melrose is a death trap and the cycle path along Athllon has a lot of uncontrolled intersections. Stopping and starting on the new machine is usually a successful endeavour, and tight turns are much the same, but they make me nervous still. I might have a go at the Drakeford/Parkway path to Woden tomorrow, noting that my developing recumbent legs don't like climbing that much...
lobstermash

Postby FromTheCapital » Thu May 01, 2014 8:13 pm

cp123 wrote:you might have to just ride all the way down Athllon Drive/Callum Street and join onto the path near Phillip College.

Do you have a helmet mirror lobster? I have had a recumbent dude zoom past me a few times recently. One night he was on a road bike and we had a chat for a bit of the way home. In hindsight i'm wondering whether that was you. :lol: :shock:

I'm always riding home in the dark down that way (from the city). If you ever see someone fat and slow (lol) and with both flashing blue and red lights on a backpack that's probably me. say hi if you want! :D It'd be good to put another face to a name.

Athlon drive / callum st are pretty dangerous without a lane so is the detour. I'm sure the motorists will start seeing a lot more bike traffic on these roads though. The downhill straight into the drain is an accident waiting to happen. Wonder who will be liable for that?

Not good for pedestrians either... surely they could put a bridge over the drain so its simple to just pass the other side of the police station.
FromTheCapital

Postby cp123 » Thu May 01, 2014 10:15 pm

luckily I only go that way on the way home. On the way into town in the morning I go via the on road lane on Melrose Drive and through the Yarra Glen roundabout of death.

I guess the other alternative to go south is to turn up the hughes/curtin overpass, cross Adelaide Ave and up carruthers street into curtin and then turn left onto the bike path along the front of curtin that comes out near the swimming pool. Not ideal and there is plenty of pedestrian traffic and then jump back onto the on road lane at one of the lights.

Lobster - is your roadie blue and do you wear a white lid? I saw someone in that clobber riding up fincham street the other night... and I know you're round that way.
cp123

Postby lobstermash » Fri May 02, 2014 9:50 am

I was running early this morning, so attempted it on the bent, seeing there wasn't anyone else around. I made the turn... just... with the slightest bit of heel strike. I feel a sense of achievement, but still, if there was other traffic...

I wear a white helmet, but the roadie you're most likely to see me on (at the moment) is a red steelie. The only blue bike I have is the BikeE (recumbent)
lobstermash

Postby HAKS » Sun May 04, 2014 6:01 pm

Rode the detour on Friday evening. Didn't think much of it. Better efforts then some temp paths around town (at least its sealed). The corner back onto the path near Hindmarsh is sharp but easily manageable on the roadie.
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)
HAKS

Return to ACT