Looking for bunch fide in Canberra this weekend -Sat Aug30

gerardvok

Looking for bunch fide in Canberra this weekend -Sat Aug30

Postby gerardvok » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:29 am

Hi I am visiting Canberra on the weekend. I would like to join a bunch ride as I don't know my way around and haven't ridden there before. Looking for moderately quick pace (30-31kph). I read that there was a ride from Phillip. Is this active and would they mind a tag-along? Departure time?

Thanks in advance.
Gerard.

nescius

Re: Looking for bunch fide in Canberra this weekend -Sat Aug

Postby nescius » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:10 pm

I know Bakery Bunch leaves Phillip at 7am - bikely map
It has a couple of gallops where the pace gets pretty high and if you get dropped nobody is going to wait for you, might be a little faster than you would like at average speeds between 35 and 40 kmh. Anyone can turn up but it's recommended for more experienced riders. Generally it's a pretty decent sized bunch, regularly 30 or more I would guess (I've never actually counted but it's a big bunch).

I think there used to be another more sedate ride leaving from the same place and time, but I haven't seen them lately.
Scott Spark 900 RC | Yeti Arc | Yeti SB130 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack

ACT SC600

Postby ACT SC600 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:44 pm

This might be of interest... Nice ride and Ged is a really great guy....
See email clip below

Hi everyone

This Saturday morning we will ride to Lake George and back via the new and old federal highways - all up about 80km return from Deakin. Pace will be steady J

The details are as follows:

Meet at Deakin - (Ambassador Apartments - 2 Grose St Deakin) ready to roll out at 7.00am. Alternatively we can pick up riders at the corner of Northbourne Ave and the Barton Highway at 7.20am (approx)

Coffee will be at Sfoglia in Dickson on the way back

All welcome!

GED

gerardvok

Postby gerardvok » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:23 pm

Both rides sound good. Might go for the Bakery Bunch. I'll push myself and if I get dropped then no big deal.
Thanks for the recommendations guys.

nescius

Postby nescius » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:59 am

Good stuff, it's a fun ride and you will definitely get a workout!

Just so you know, the first gallop starts at the left turn off the Barton Hwy onto Curran Drive and finishes somewhere before the roundabout at Lexcen Ave (I'm never sure exactly where it finishes because my sprint isn't very good!). The second gallop starts on Gungahlin Drive as we pass over the Barton Hwy and goes all the way to the finish at the top of the arboretum, this is pretty high pace so make sure you don't leave a gap if you don't want to get dropped :D
Scott Spark 900 RC | Yeti Arc | Yeti SB130 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack

ACT SC600

Postby ACT SC600 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:27 am

this is my Strava file from the weekend

the "Sprint" from the Barton HWY to the Arbo covers a nice distance with a decent Grind From the Gilbert Hill Segment all the way to Descend and Stretch...

have fun :)

http://www.strava.com/activities/184426087" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gerardvok

Postby gerardvok » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:09 am

Thanks for the info. Ill ride my hardest and expect ill probably get spanked anyway ;) but I'd like to push myself. I sometimes get a little frustrated at the rate some bunches go that I ride with so having the reverse issue will be sort of cool in a masochistic sort of way. Besides I've added the route to my garmin just in case ;) Are you all A grade riders?

nescius

Postby nescius » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:52 am

Don't worry, there are always plenty of people in the same boat, hang on as long as you can (safely of course!). Most of the ride is fast but not particularly difficult (unless you are pulling turns!) and there aren't many hills so it's pretty easy to hang on.

The gallops are A grade/NRS pace depending on who turns up on the day. You will find a range of riders in the bunch from elite level down to D grade. I race A grade and am in an NRS team but we've struggled to find form this year due to various reasons, so you don't need to worry about me being too fast :oops: :(

gerardvok

Postby gerardvok » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:20 pm

This sounds great!!!! Can't wait to ride!
see you then.

nescius

Postby nescius » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:57 pm

Did you make it to the ride?

It was pretty tough with the wind, especially once we hit the GDE. I was towards the front but when the echelon was almost into the second lane I thought it was a getting a bit silly so I just rode my own pace (this is what we call getting dropped these days, "riding your own pace"). The rest of the ride wasn't really as smooth as usual and the early climb up William Hovel Drive was a lot faster than usual which was a bit of a rude shock.

gerardvok

Postby gerardvok » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:31 pm

Hi There. Alas no I didnt get to it. As we were about 1/2 an hour from arriving in Canberra on Friday night I realised that, despite checking and re-checking my gear, that I had left my shoes in the garage(!!) I had to wait until the shops opened on Saturday morning to get myself a pair + cleats so that I could at least ride this morning.

I was gutted... total knucklehead...

I went to the bittersweet cafe in Kingston today for the group ride that is listed on the CCC website but only one other rider showed up (also visiting ACT) and I only got in a fairly slow paced ride but it was nice to ride with him. Sounds like your ride was pretty hardcore. I think I would have been pummeled..

I'm intent on getting back to Canberra again as soon as I can to ride the bakery. I might do a little extra training for that (training) ride :)

Thanks for your recommendations at any rate. Canberra is a super great place to ride. I am blown away by the infrastructure for cycling - puts Sydney to total shame...