Woman sustains critical head injuries in bike fall

Ross

Woman sustains critical head injuries in bike fall

Postby Ross » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:00 am

I drove past this just after it happened. It happened on Belconnen Way just before it turns into Barry Dr. It is a very rough section of "on-road cycling lane" (road shoulder with bike lane painted on it... :evil: ) with patched bitumen, potholes and possibly tree debris from the storm on Sunday night. I usually avoid riding this area for this reason. If I do have to ride there I usually 'take the lane' but at 8am when the incident occurred it's not really practical to do so because of traffic doing 80km/h+ down the hill.

I wouldn't be surprised if she bought/was given the bike for Christmas and was riding to work to save a bit of money and to get fitter. Probably her first day back at work and first proper ride of the bike. Very, very sad and unfortunate and preventable if the Govt had fixed the road surface when making it a bike lane. :x

Hope the lady pulls through and recovers from her injuries.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-new ... 2i4a1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A woman who sustained critical head injuries when she fell off her electric bike in Bruce on Monday is believed to have hit a pot-hole.

The woman was travelling towards the city on Belconnen Way, close to the Barry Drive intersection, when she came off the bike about 8am.

Paramedics took her to the Canberra Hospital.

ACT Policing's acting officer in charge of traffic operations Tracey Duck said there weren't any other vehicles involved in the incident.

"The woman merely fell off the bicycle, she appeared to have hit a pot-hole and that caused her to fall off her bike," she said.

She said the woman had been wearing a helmet at the time.

The incident prompted Sergeant Duck to warn motorists electric bikes could travel at high speeds and were much more powerful than a push bike.

"They generate a lot of power and people go too fast for the conditions, especially on the side of a road where there may not be a designated bike path.

"This is a reminder for people who do have electric bikes that they are quite dangerous, that they do have a lot of power."

Police have called for anyone who witnessed the incident to come forward as they continue to investigate.

Contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or at act.crimestoppers.com.au.

CKinnard

Re: Woman sustains critical head injuries in bike fall

Postby CKinnard » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:07 am

And the police's spin is in line with expectations. :roll:

cp123

Postby cp123 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:50 pm

and see another lady was taken out tonight by a roo! http://esa.act.gov.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

not me - i'm waaay older than that!

Jean

Postby Jean » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:39 am

And there was the crash in Deakin last week too, with that gent dying in hospital the other day from his head injuries. A connection to the hospital tells me his front wheel came off. Check your QRs.

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:42 am

Very scary, the one in Deakin. There's also speculation that the steerer snapped. Certainly gave me the jitters when riding in yesterday. Check your steerers and stem bolt tension...

Jean

Postby Jean » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:19 am

I assumed a QR thing, but a snapped steerer or fork would fit too. The press reports said the police were looking into a bike 'malfunction'.