Canberra to coast- cyclocross?

thelittlebattler

Canberra to coast- cyclocross?

Postby thelittlebattler » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:19 pm

The only other thread I can find on this is 7-8 years old, and not all that helpful anyway. Since that thread, cyclocross or gravel bikes have become an option for long rides on dirt.

Can anyone tell me if a cyclocross bike would be ok for the ride to and from Araluen/coast from Canberra?

Thinking of maybe doing it this weekend. Also how steep is the climb on the return journey? Well for that matter the descent too I guess

thelittlebattler

Re: Canberra to coast- cyclocross?

Postby thelittlebattler » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:33 pm

Looks like I can answer the steepness question: this looks like the worst of it http://www.strava.com/segments/1003105" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think it may be manageable, even if I just have to walk some of it. Just depends on the condition of the road

Also mods, please feel free to delete or move into another thread like viewtopic.php?f=2&t=64447" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sorry my google-fu was a bit hurried

macca33

Postby macca33 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:45 pm

I reckon there are not too many passable roads/trails that a CX bike cannot traverse - I've found some interesting stuff in the past 12 months around my part of the world - great fun!

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

Chris249

Postby Chris249 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:42 am

I've only driven the road along the Deua River, but I was looking at it with a CXers eye. There's a fairly long stretch that would be very bumpy on a CX bike, but that may be because I'm paranoid about pinch flats so I run unusually high pressure - probably too high. It's definitely rideable but may leave you with a sore bum from the rocks and ridges.

The condition of the Majors Creek climb is, as far as I can remember from a few months ago, worse than most of the fire trails around Mts Majura, Ainslie and Stromlo. We have a Subaru Liberty which normally has no issues on roads around the Brinders, but it scraped once or twice on Majors. The time I did it before that I don't remember it being that bad so they may send a grader through every now and then.

Ps - only just saw that you may already be back!
Kestrel Talon road 2007
Como Vivente road 2009
Principia track track 2014
Cervelo P2K TT 2003
Merida CX4 2010
Concaeio road

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:11 pm

Riders on cyclocross and touring bikes, do this route, not infrequently.

There have been several threads on the route, posted in the Cycle Touring < Touring Australia forum. Including a few posts about the conditions from me.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=60626" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A trip report on the route I thought was posted by PRKLCD, who rode the route and wrote that it was no drama and he had a great time on his XC bike. I can't find his trip report yet, but I'll keep looking ... hopefully it is on the forum somewhere in the Touring Section. This is the thread that he started.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=64447&p=970903#p970903" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I did a search in the Touring Section for stuff like, Araluen, Deua River, Majors Creek, Wadbilliga Wilderness, camping at Bakers Flat on the Deua, Araluen Valley Hotel and had a few results, mostly from my own posts of the route. So try doing that.

FatGuts aka Karl was a member here, but he appears to be no longer on BNA. FatGuts is a member of The Berm. Here is his February '14 trip report. Days 1 and 2, done on MTBs. Enjoy this while I look for the missing cyclocross report.

http://www.theberm.com.au/profiles/blog ... e=activity" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.theberm.com.au/profiles/blog ... e=activity" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Warren.
Last edited by WarrenH on Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
"But on steep descending...Larson TT have bad effect on the mind of a rider" - MadRider from Suji, Korea 2001.

"Paved roads ... another fine example of wasteful government spending." - a bumper sticker.

thelittlebattler

Postby thelittlebattler » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:41 pm

Thanks guys, didn't go this weekend... Instead I ticked off the Mt Coree loop on MTB and then explored some of the Canberra Centenary Trail.

Guess I can't go wrong either way, MTB or CX. My main thought is weighing up whether the efficiency on the nice stuff compensates for the stress on the sketchy bits.

Thanks Warren, I really enjoyed that trip report. I actually have you to thank for getting me on to these sorts of ideas. There was a thread a few years back about road climbs in Canberra, your photos and suggestions in there gave me some inspiration for exploring places by MTB. Otherwise I may still be doing only the skyline loop at Stromlo!

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:51 am

thelittlebattler wrote:I really enjoyed that trip report.
thelittlebattler, G'day. Karl writes very amusing trip reports. Have you seen his trip report on a Wee Jasper Mini Tour. And, if you haven't ridden to Wee Jasper? ... http://www.theberm.com.au/profiles/blog ... Wee+Jasper" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thelittlebattler wrote: I actually have you to thank for getting me on to these sorts of ideas.
Please send your wife my apologies, if that's appropriate. I wonder what the ramifications are for relationships ... after turning riders to the dark side.

Warren.
"But on steep descending...Larson TT have bad effect on the mind of a rider" - MadRider from Suji, Korea 2001.

"Paved roads ... another fine example of wasteful government spending." - a bumper sticker.