Glenloch/GDE entry points

Noviss

Glenloch/GDE entry points

Postby Noviss » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:34 pm

I have recently started commuting from North Belconnen to Woden. On the way home I used to go via Bindubi Street/Aranda but the trek through Belconnen on footpaths and dodging dogs around lake Gininderra meant I found the GDE a better option albeit longer.

Last week I was following someone around the zoo and they peeled off and headed up towards the arboretum. I continued on via the Parkes Way crossing and the goat track that leads up to the GDE and the guy I had been following appeared ahead of me.

I looked on the ACT cycle maps to see if there is a pathway from the Tuggeranong Parkway or through the Glenloch interchange that leads you onto the GDE but couldnt see anything. Is there a cycle path through the Glenloch Interchange that brings you out on the GDE without having to thread through the weaving traffic coming off the Tuggeranong Parkway/Lady Denman Drive? Or are there better (and more current) cycle maps than the ACT Government ones?

Thanks in advance.

cp123

Re: Glenloch/GDE entry points

Postby cp123 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:17 pm

was he on a road bike or a mtb? I know a few guys who go in to the arboretum and along the track parallel to the parkway and come out either at the horse crossing 1 km below scrivener dam, or down to the concrete bridge (clo's crossing from memory?) and out towards Weston creek area.

RhapsodyX

Postby RhapsodyX » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:20 pm

Head along the on-road on the Tuggeranong Parkway, on the left before you join William Hovell, there is an entry to a tunnel under the road. Go down through the tunnel, back onto the on-road, cross the Glenloch loop up from Parkes Way as it enters Caswell Drv, and you are on Caswell Drv/GDE.

TonyMax

Postby TonyMax » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:08 pm

Over the dam, around the bike path, cross Lady Denman Drive at the lights here:

https://goo.gl/maps/xmr82nPVdnG2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Then you go through half a dozen tunnels, up through the esses here:

https://goo.gl/maps/PEKKyeWq3GU2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Then onto the GDE (Caswell Drive) up the hill.

Or (the alternate route which I've never done):

Turn off and head up towards the arboretum, then follow the cycle lane beside the road as if heading onto William Hovell Drive. Take the exit bike ramp then head under the road here:

https://goo.gl/maps/DuTUe8htqM82" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This then joins the Tuggeranong Parkway to Caswell Drive ramp and you head up the hill.

Noviss

Postby Noviss » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:04 pm

RhapsodyX wrote:Head along the on-road on the Tuggeranong Parkway, on the left before you join William Hovell, there is an entry to a tunnel under the road. Go down through the tunnel, back onto the on-road, cross the Glenloch loop up from Parkes Way as it enters Caswell Drv, and you are on Caswell Drv/GDE.
Thanks. Will have to try this way. This must be the way he went.

Noviss

Postby Noviss » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:08 pm

TonyMax wrote:Over the dam, around the bike path, cross Lady Denman Drive at the lights here:

https://goo.gl/maps/xmr82nPVdnG2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Then you go through half a dozen tunnels, up through the esses here:

https://goo.gl/maps/PEKKyeWq3GU2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Then onto the GDE (Caswell Drive) up the hill.
This is the way I currently go. Will have to try the alternate along the William Hovell exit.

Thanks.

TonyMax

Postby TonyMax » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:49 pm

Did you end up giving it a crack? Is it hairy having to cross traffic from the Parkes Way --> Caswell Drive ramp?

Noviss

Postby Noviss » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:47 pm

TonyMax wrote:Did you end up giving it a crack? Is it hairy having to cross traffic from the Parkes Way --> Caswell Drive ramp?
Haven't tried it yet.

Wanted to sus out the entry and exit points from my car first but I haven't had to travel that way yet.

Although the day is getting closer. Was nearly wiped out this afternoon by a car that wanted to use the on road cycle lane as his merge lane when exiting the car park at the start of Caswell Drive. Then a driver decided to park his car in the cycle lane just North of the Belconnen way entry merge leaving nowhere to ride other than in the gutter on the left hand side. I also can't believe the amount of debris in the cycle lane along that stretch - rocks, bricks, glass, bits of perspex, rope, timber etc. Might have to go back to riding via Bindubi Hill.