Riding to Wagga

joingler

Riding to Wagga

Postby joingler » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:28 pm

Hey all,
I'm doing a ride from Albury to Melbourne with a few friends later this year. I'm planning on meeting some of my friends in Wagga before we drive from there to meet the rest of the gang in Albury. I was just going to get the Greyhound bus (you can put your fully assembled bike on for $40) but thought of making a bit of a solo tour of it.

Just wondering what routes people can suggest? I'm not to keen to just cycle the Hume but at the same time I've never cycled this far solo so I'd prefer not to go via Wee Jasper or over the mountains to Tumut as those options are just a bit too adventurous for my liking (at this stage anyway).

My provisional route was cycling to Yass via Dog Trap Road. From there take the Hume to Jugiong. From Jugiong I was going to head south on Bundarbo & Hopewood Roads which follows the Murrimbidgee south and eventually link of to Gundagai. From Gundagai I was going to go via Oura Road through the villages of Nangus and Wantabadgery as others have recommended this route to me as being shorter (but more hilly) that the highways as well as having terrific views.

I'm just wondering if others can suggest other routes to take or alternatively tell me what the above described route is like? I live in Gungahlin so it's probably quickest and easiest to leave the ACT via the Barton

Howzat

Re: Riding to Wagga

Postby Howzat » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:09 pm

You might find advice also in the Touring subforum viewforum.php?f=2

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:32 pm

I've ridden to Yass a few times on the Barton Hwy, it's ok, not ideal but ok. Not much shoulder in parts.
You can get to Murrumbateman via Nanima Rd which takes out a few kms of Barton Hwy.
Dog Trap Rd has sections of dirt. Wee Jasper is hilly and has dirt after Wee Jasper (and a bit of dirt nearer Canberra on Mountain Creek Rd).
The Hume Hwy will be busy but should have a good shoulder for most/all of it. You would need to work out what to do when you hit Melbourne.

joingler

Postby joingler » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:56 pm

Ross wrote:I've ridden to Yass a few times on the Barton Hwy, it's ok, not ideal but ok. Not much shoulder in parts.
You can get to Murrumbateman via Nanima Rd which takes out a few kms of Barton Hwy.
Dog Trap Rd has sections of dirt. Wee Jasper is hilly and has dirt after Wee Jasper (and a bit of dirt nearer Canberra on Mountain Creek Rd).
The Hume Hwy will be busy but should have a good shoulder for most/all of it. You would need to work out what to do when you hit Melbourne.
Thanks mate. I've cycled Nanima before to Murrumbateman and then come back via the Barton. I've never done Dog Trap though. I don't mind dirt as I've got a good bike. Good to know the Hume has a good shoulder. I'm keen to get off the beaten track though.

Once I hit Melbourne, I'm staying for a few days before heading back to Canberra. I'll probably travel via bus and just pay the $49 fee Greyhound charge to put a fully assembled bike on. I've done this a few times when going to Sydney and it's great as you literally just put your bike in and then pull it out. No need to take anything apart.