Commuter warnings

Noviss

Commuter warnings

Postby Noviss » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:03 pm

Though it might be good to have a thread to warn Canberra riders of any threats or hazards they may encounter on their daily commute.

Mods, perhaps this could be stickied.

I will start.

There was a snake on the West Basin path near the zoo this afternoon. It was on the climb if you are heading North (or the descent if heading South) after the road crossing.

There is also a lot of debris on the North bound cycle lane of the GDE/Caswell Drive from Glenloch interchange to the AIS turn off. Plenty of bolts, nails, truck bits and general detritus that could damage or puncture tyres.

Noviss

Re: Commuter warnings

Postby Noviss » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:58 pm

There are three 40 foot truck trailers parked on the East bound on-road cycle lane of Gininderra Drive between Aikman Drive and Allawoonah Street.

The adjacent cycle path is clear.

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:05 pm

Ross

Postby Ross » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:24 am

Loose gravel on Federal Hwy bike lane from recent resealing works. Goes from just past Eagle Hawk to Sutton turn-off.

Noviss

Postby Noviss » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:46 am

Fencing is being erected around the cotter road underpass at Curtin. Watch out for workers on the cycle path.

Noviss

Postby Noviss » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:27 pm

Noviss wrote:Fencing is being erected around the cotter road underpass at Curtin. Watch out for workers on the cycle path.
The fence that has been erected actually encroaches onto the southbound cycle path as you approach the underpass. Care will be needed to not hit one of the fence supports or another rider coming in the opposite direction - and its a blind bend too.

Noviss

Postby Noviss » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:18 pm

There was another snake on the path at West Basin this afternoon. It was further around this time - just past the rock garden banana posts city bound,

cp123

Postby cp123 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:19 pm

Noviss

Postby Noviss » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:16 pm

Lots of rubbish on the paths at the moment. I had two punctures this morning. Haven't had any for 12 months and had four in the last month.

If the good samaritan that gave me a tube near the zoo this morning reads this PM me and I will arrange a replacement for you. I am very appreciative of your generosity.

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:20 pm

Black Mountain. Not really a commute but a popular training area for people wanting to add some climbing to their ride. I was up there a couple of days ago and there had been a storm I think the night before and there was a large patch of gravel/dirt/rocks washed across both sides of the road just on the corner as you crest the first steep bit near the water tanks. Obviously you will notice it going up and it won't really be an issue because of relatively low speed when climbing but coming back down you can be doing 60km/h+ at this section and if you hit it at speed and leaning over you will have a good chance of a high speed crash.

There was also a pothole I noticed further up near the top in the descending lane, hidden in the shadows. It's not a huge pothole - I managed to bunyhop it quite easily - but if you don't see it and hit it you could come off or get a pinch flat.

joingler

Postby joingler » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:38 pm

Had a big snake try to get me as I cycled past him today on the path adjacent to William Slim between Chuculba and the Bartonn Hwy. Fortunately I was able to swerve out of the way. When I cycled back an hour later, I could see him in the grass just off the path.

The grass is fairly long there at the moment. so it may be prudent to slow and be careful along that section

cp123

Postby cp123 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:22 pm

first day back to work today after the Christmas blobbing. travelling on the path up near the archbishops house going down to the pedestrian bridge over parkes way to the civic pool - well, there's a monster load of sand/dirt that has washed down into the round bricked area at the southern end of the bridge. I didn't see it till I almost hit it (because of dappled shade at that time) I stuck the front wheel straight in and almost went sideways. given you can usually scoot down there no problem, someone may come a gutzer if they're not careful.

Noviss

Postby Noviss » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:55 pm

There is metre high grass on both sides of the path from Lady Denman Drive to the Cotter Road underpass. It makes it very difficult to see oncoming traffic. The grass on the ramp up the other side of the underpass is also very long and makes it difficult to see other cyclists or pedestrians.

I also encountered large groups of power walkers around Lake Gininderra this morning and the AIS this afternoon. Not sure whether there is a training camp on at the moment but they seem to be 2-3 abreast on the paths.

Noviss

Postby Noviss » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:27 am

Just read about the road resurfacing on the GDE south of Gininderra Drive. Anyone know the impact on the cycle lanes or alternate arrangements? Nothing on TAMS web site or pedalpower. At least they might finally clear the rubbish and debris from the cycle lanes.

Ross

Postby Ross » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:05 pm

TAMS have used the usual cheap and nasty loose gravel to "reseal" GDE. They are doing both sides ie north and south bound between Ginninderra Dr and Belconnen Way. They did northbound yesterday (Wednesday) and have done one lane of southbound today. The northbound lane has had 90% of loose stones swept up, still a few left as you come off the new bit onto the older section near Ginninderra Dr. They look to have only resealed the actual car lane, not the cycle lane, hoping this doesn't leave a large (dangerous) gap between the the old and new surfaces as is the case on Federal Highway out near Eagle Hawk.

Noviss

Postby Noviss » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:18 pm

Ross wrote:TAMS have used the usual cheap and nasty loose gravel to "reseal" GDE. They are doing both sides ie north and south bound between Ginninderra Dr and Belconnen Way. They did northbound yesterday (Wednesday) and have done one lane of southbound today. The northbound lane has had 90% of loose stones swept up, still a few left as you come off the new bit onto the older section near Ginninderra Dr. They look to have only resealed the actual car lane, not the cycle lane, hoping this doesn't leave a large (dangerous) gap between the the old and new surfaces as is the case on Federal Highway out near Eagle Hawk.
Thanks.

I figured it would be probably be the chipseal solution which will throw a lot of stones into the bike lane. I remember when they did the Parkes Way end a year or so ago and it was like riding on marbles. I think the Bindubi path might be a safer option for the next week or so.

Noviss

Postby Noviss » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:19 pm

Storm this afternoon has left rubbish all over the paths. The significant - and probably enduring - issues I encountered were:
- tree across the path near the Indigenous Cultural Centre at West Basin; and
- tree fallen across the Belconnen Way overpass at Aranda.

In both instances you have to carry your bike around or over the obstruction.

cp123

Postby cp123 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:37 am

yup. lots of debris in the on road lanes on CW Avenue, State Circle and Flynn Drive.

Noviss

Postby Noviss » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:44 pm

Noviss wrote:Storm this afternoon has left rubbish all over the paths. The significant - and probably enduring - issues I encountered were:
- tree across the path near the Indigenous Cultural Centre at West Basin; and
- tree fallen across the Belconnen Way overpass at Aranda.
Both of the above were clear this morning.

I also rode home via the GDE this afternoon for the first time since road resurfacing commenced. Its all fine. The only obstacles are a couple of road signs that encroach on the bike lane and no line marking has been done. There is also a lot of rubbish and debris in the cycle lane between Belconnen Way and GIO stadium.

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:23 pm

Coulter Dr bike lane (both directions) near Macquarie/Weetangera between Springvale Dr and Belconnen Way is covered with tree debris after the recent wind storm.

Ross

Postby Ross » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:58 am

On-road cycling lane on Flemington Rd from Harrison to Mitchell has dissapeared overnight as the barriers for a the tram works have been moved further out. There is a new bike path but there is no signage directing you onto it until you have gone past the beginning.

Noviss

Postby Noviss » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:30 am

If you are southbound on Caswell Drive be aware of road signs in the cycle lane from the recent road works. Also, the cycle lane has narrowed considerably after the Belconnen Way entry point. The new line markings make it pretty precarious in a few places and there is are lots of loose stones at the Parkes Way exit.

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:05 pm

Speaking of loose stones and crap road resealing - a section of Kuringa Dr from Owen Dixon Dr to the overhead bridge near Spence has just been done recently and most of the stones have been swept up but still some loose ones near the gutter (where cyclists generally ride of course!)

Ross

Postby Ross » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:00 pm

More dodgy resealing - can't blame ACT Govt this time - Old Federal Highway near Lake George. Two sections after Shingle Hill Way each about 500m long with loose stones. Not really sure why they bothered to reseal these sections as there is probably only 5 or 6 cars travel that road in a week (compared to dozens of cyclists).

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:56 pm

Road closures around Flemington Road for light rail works

http://www.cmd.act.gov.au/open_governme ... rail-works