Anyone suggest a couple of road rides for a visitor?

AndyRevill

Anyone suggest a couple of road rides for a visitor?

Postby AndyRevill » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:01 am

Hi All,

I'm going to be in Canberra for a week in early December and thinking of bringing the road bike with me. Can anyone suggest a couple of scenic rides around the 100 km give or take a bit mark?

If it makes any difference we're staying in Belconnen

Many thanks,

Andy
Trek 1.7 dec.
Trek Domane 4.5

cp123

Re: Anyone suggest a couple of road rides for a visitor?

Postby cp123 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:10 pm

if you like hills you could do the pedal power 5 peaks ride. the route is on their website somewhere. that way you'd get views from each place. :-D

otherwise I'd say cotter to Tharwa loop. can dig out a map another time.

nickdos

Postby nickdos » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:16 pm

Fitz's Challenge 105 km course is the Tharwa loop cp123 mentioned. Map is on their site:

http://www.fitzs.com.au/courses/

AndyRevill

Postby AndyRevill » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:47 am

Thanks, looks like it would be a nice ride

Cheers, Andy
Trek 1.7 dec.
Trek Domane 4.5

cp123

Postby cp123 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:46 am

for the cotter to Tharwa ride, I wouldn't come back the same way - ie don't do the 'out and back', cos it'll be as boring as buffalos, but you could come back via the suburbs if you have a gps. that way you'd get to see lake Tuggeranong (not that that's special lol - other than for the blue green algae and dead shopping trolleys) and come past mt taylor etc and up via Adelaide avenue where you can see the lodge, parliament house and the edge of the parliamentary triangle.

when I've got a bit more time I can try and map it out for you. ie ride down cotter road to the cotter, stay on Tidbinbilla road, left onto point hut road, woodcock drive, and then you'll end up near drakeford drive. chuck another left there and start going north. there is a multitude of surburban paths there, but if you find lake Tuggeranong and the path around the edge of that, take that to the northern end, go under a couple of tunnels and keep following your nose. that'll take you north is parallel to athllon drive, through woden and up the main drag back to town (commonwealth avenue).

otherwise detour from woden, and travel along the front of curtin, under cotter road, follow the main north along lady denman drive, over the dam and round the western side of lake burley griffin. that'll bring you out on the south western corner of the city. the path round lake bg is really well marked and you can't really get yourself lost. or go back home via the arboretum and dairy farmers hill

have a look here and see if you can roughly work out where I'm talking about.

http://files.transport.act.gov.au/cyclingmap/index.html
Last edited by cp123 on Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

AndyRevill

Postby AndyRevill » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:16 pm

Thanks heaps for that! I can map it out and stick it in the GPS from your description

Cheers, Andy
Trek 1.7 dec.
Trek Domane 4.5

cp123

Postby cp123 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:42 am

if you've never been here before its also worth riding around the parliamentary triangle just to see the buildings. you can also then over kings bridge or commonwealth bridge and head up Anzac parade towards mt Ainslie. at the war memorial turn right onto the main road there (sorry don't know what its name is) and travel there for a couple of kms to find the turn off to mt Ainslie. its a good view at the top. warning - don't fang down though as you could collect a roo at full speed and that wouldn't be noice. they are everywhere there.

AndyRevill

Postby AndyRevill » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:24 pm

Thanks again. I have been to Canberra a fair bit just never thought about taking the bike (have cycled round the lake on a borrowed MTB) but I'm getting fed up of missing out on my regular rides when I have to travel so I've decided to set myself up to be able to take the bike with me - Canberra is first cab off the rank :D

Cheers, Andy
Trek 1.7 dec.
Trek Domane 4.5