Insurance question following cycling accident

TheDon

Insurance question following cycling accident

Postby TheDon » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:12 am

Went for a ride yesterday with my two kids. One of them ended up getting confused at a traffic light and he rode into traffic. Despite getting hit by a car and thrown into the air he somehow only got away with some minor injuries. However his new bike which he just got for his birthday has sustained some damage. The car that hit him also copped some scrapes/dents. I don't have cycling specific insurance (now rethinking that). I'm guessing this means any damage to the car is on me? Not too fussed about the money given how much worse things could have been, but any advice would be useful.

InTheWoods

Re: Insurance question following cycling accident

Postby InTheWoods » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:02 pm

Very glad to hear he is ok.

Damage to the car is probably on you, although check your home&contents policy as I think some can cover this kind of thing ... possibly. Your son's bike is unlikely to be covered by anything.

nickdos

Postby nickdos » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:17 pm

You're probably already aware, but Pedal Power has a family membership that includes insurance for all family members. I've had this for a few years now and its a worthwhile investment.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:25 pm

I see that Wiggle is now offering insurance - see https://insurance.this link is broken.au. any one with experience?
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Ross

Postby Ross » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:46 pm

The Essential cover only covers bikes up to the value of $1500 (less 10% depreciation per year of age of bike) and not any non-standard accessories or modifications, so carbon wheels, power meters or even Garmin computers aren't covered (not sure about pedals, would need to clarify this as pedals usually don't come with a bike but are an essential part, can't ride without them!).

Edit: looks like you can actually get cover for items like these but they would need to notify the insurance company of them and their value. They would need to be low value, new value of carbon wheels and a power meter would be worth over $1500 in most cases without taking into account the value of the rest of the bike. So probably only useful for stuff like bike computer and lights.

Not covered while racing, or travelling/riding overseas.

They only pay up to 75% of your income and only for a year if you are off work for a long time with a serious injury. Only pay up to $10K (after Medicare) of your injury costs (hospital stay is ~$1k/day, more if you have surgery) - I had a fractured femur (from work accident, not cycling) and hospital costs were over $30K plus physio (AT) ~$100 visit (twice weekly for 3 months).

The Comprehensive cover is a lot more errr... comprehensive (surprise! :P ) and covers up to $30K for the replacement cost of the bike (and new-for-old replacement if bike under 2yo) and covers you for racing/riding including overseas. Also covers you for custom parts and accessories.

The Essential cover is only $80 per annum (with option to pay monthly installments an no extra cost) whereas the Comprehensive is a lot more expensive, not sure how much as it depends on the value of cover.

Under 18 yo riders not covered either so no good for OP.