Bikes on your buses?

Wixxy

Bikes on your buses?

Postby Wixxy » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:09 pm

I spent 3 months in Queanbeyan and visited Canberra often.

Anyone used the bike carriers on the front of the buses?
Do you feel in a rush to mount them on as the bus is waiting or is it easy to do?
Is there a reason the buses visiting outlying areas don't have them? I think it was red and blue buses, one being for central routes with the racks.

twowheels

Re: Bikes on your buses?

Postby twowheels » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:15 pm

Only comment is ... bike carriers on front of bus ... good idea.

Wixxy

Postby Wixxy » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:42 pm

Do I detect some irony there? :D

It would solve the how do you get to work at the other end on public transport for some areas of Perth.

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:51 pm

I`m not from there but there`s info on how to do it in Bike racks on buses.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

Wixxy

Postby Wixxy » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:17 pm

Transperth could learn on the locker use from there. Even if it's only half at each station.

Ross

Postby Ross » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:52 pm

Wixxy wrote: Is there a reason the buses visiting outlying areas don't have them? I think it was red and blue buses, one being for central routes with the racks.
I think the red and blue buses are from Queanbeyan, Canberra ACTION buses are usually predominantly Orange in colour, though a lot are vinyl wrapped in advertising signage.

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:14 pm

Wixxy wrote:Do I detect some irony there? :D

It would solve the how do you get to work at the other end on public transport for some areas of Perth.
That is the problem with forum posts, no irony/sarcasm was intended at all.
I think solutions that get more people using public transport/mixed mode transport are worth exploring.
I think something like a multicab pickup bus would be great to allow more than two cyclists to travel in the same bus, ie a tray back behind passengers. Trains with suspension racks within the carriages to encourage more people to ride to the stations instead of taking cars. Dedicated racks could allow bikes on trains in peak hours ... thus reducing peak congestion.

Wixxy

Postby Wixxy » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:14 am

I totally agree, whilst some like to cycle all the way it's nice to have the choice and like you say having more room on trains than at present and allowing them on buses would be a progressive move.

After all some buses are packed out with prams, perhaps having more fold up seats at the front so there's a bigger wheelchair, pram or cycle area?