Hi there - new cyclist here

nodii

Hi there - new cyclist here

Postby nodii » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:12 am

Hi everyone - I'm a new cyclist - I'm actually waiting on my first road bike to be delivered this week or early next. Looking forward to getting on my bike. :)

TheWall

Re: Hi there - new cyclist here

Postby TheWall » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:27 pm

nodii wrote:Hi everyone - I'm a new cyclist - I'm actually waiting on my first road bike to be delivered this week or early next. Looking forward to getting on my bike. :)
Welcome nodii. You have made a great decision or three to get on the bike. What did you buy and have you set any goals for riding?

You will learn plenty on here (the good and bad ha ha).

Happy riding.

Matt

b4igo

Postby b4igo » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:20 pm

Welcome!!

nodii

Postby nodii » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:26 am

TheWall wrote:Welcome nodii. You have made a great decision or three to get on the bike. What did you buy and have you set any goals for riding?
So I got my Merida Scultura 4000 with a pair of Shimano Ultegra R8000 pedals yesterday - at the moment my main goal is to keep practising and get better at clipping in and out!

Once I've got a bit more confidence over the weekend I'd like to ride to work and back each day. I want to see in the long run how far I can ride. But right now I need to work on my butt pains - ouch! I might need a pair of good riding shorts with padding. But honestly, I don't know what I'm buying.

nodii

Postby nodii » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:26 am

b4igo wrote:Welcome!!
Thank you!

b4igo

Postby b4igo » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:18 pm

Congratulations on the purchase!

Bike shorts will help mostly with chaffing. The bruises unfortunately you have to ride it out (pun intended). It will get easier over the next few weeks.

Not sure what to recommend as brands these days as I’ve just got back in the bike myself after many years. Netti used to be a good low cost option from Rebel. I just bought some Pearl Izumi. I think anything you can get from a good bike store is going to be decent, it just comes down to how much you want to spend as to how high you go in the range for features. :)

How far is your commute?

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:01 pm

Welcome outside! :D

I second the thoughts above on bike shorts. Some guys aren't keen on the "greek wrestler" look of bibknicks, but they are vastly more comfortable and worth the slight extra expense. I'd also buy at least two pairs once you find some you like to ride in. They should be worn next to the skin and washed after each day's use.