Balcatta Recycling Centre frame w/- shimano 600

twowheels

Balcatta Recycling Centre frame w/- shimano 600

Postby twowheels » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:27 pm

Heads up WA,
I was checking out at the Balcatta recycling centre yesterday, saw a very nice & light frame (faded red) with Shimano 600 running gear. Tubes were elliptical in section but i think it was steel, didn't have a magnet, no decals to indicate maker or tubing.

uMP2k

Re: Balcatta Recycling Centre frame w/- shimano 600

Postby uMP2k » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:20 pm

twowheels wrote:Heads up WA,
I was checking out at the Balcatta recycling centre yesterday, saw a very nice & light frame (faded red) with Shimano 600 running gear. Tubes were elliptical in section but i think it was steel, didn't have a magnet, no decals to indicate maker or tubing.
and I take it you promptly loaded it into your car and made a quick get away...

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:48 pm

uMP2k wrote:
oo ... I didn't make the post clear enough, no I didn't take it away, I've got enough bikes & not enough time at the moment, this is a heads up for anyone who is interested, if I had taken it away I would know by now if it was steel or not.

twowheels

uMP2k wrote:
oo ... I didn't make the post clear enough, no I didn't take it away, I've got enough bikes & not enough time at the moment, this is a heads up for anyone who is interested, if I had taken it away I would know by now if it was steel or not.

twowheels

uMP2k wrote:

uMP2k

Postby uMP2k » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:56 pm

Hmm - well I will have to get my butt out there and have a look to see if it is still there!

sittingbison

Postby sittingbison » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:04 pm

twowheels wrote:...oo ... I didn't make the post clear enough...
yup, its pretty clear now :roll:

hehe 8)
I have a cunning plan, as cunning as a fox who's just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University

elStado

Postby elStado » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:37 pm

Just bump an old thread- but does anyone know if there's a bike recycling centre south of the river? I am looking for an old, classic styled, but serviceable, bike to fix up and learn about.

Have been keeping an eye out on verge collection days but haven't seen anything decent, just old, rusted, kids Kmart bikes.

Also been checking eBay, however many of the bikes are selling for $50-100 even for a real hunk of junk. Seems that they are back in fashion.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:23 am

If you've got a car the Balcatta Recycling Centre is easy from Como/South Perth. Take freeway north, right at Erindale Road exit then left at Balcatta Road, then right at the centre (entry opposite Geddes St).

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:49 pm

I was really impressed by that place. I went up their recently with a lady friend to dump off some old E-waste we'd collected between us in my ute. Rather stupidly I told her to "stop me picking up anything" before we got there - so she did just that. But it's like a one-stop Ikea for those verge crawlers amongst us!!!

Since I was under instruction on that day I didn't get to ask any of the attendants, but what is the deal if you have to something (and you're allowed *ahem*) that's there - do you make an offer to some of the staff or do they name a price at random?
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

elStado

Postby elStado » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:15 pm

twowheels wrote:If you've got a car the Balcatta Recycling Centre is easy from Como/South Perth. Take freeway north, right at Erindale Road exit then left at Balcatta Road, then right at the centre (entry opposite Geddes St).
Nope I only have the AOS. However the missus has a car so I might be able to sweet talk her to dropping by there one day on the way to/from the beach.

Seems a bit silly to have to drive to get a bike, but considering the built form and design of Perth, and the fact they are old bikes, it makes sense.

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:23 am

Humber, my quote from another post "Though Tamala is a bit of a hike, prices are better than at Balcatta, PLUS you don't have to deal with the woman who runs the show at Balcatta, very difficult & depending on her mood of the day prices can be a bit hefty. Nothing like a cash business to bring out the greed in some people (any ATO people on the forum?)" you remember the Senfeld soup nazi episode? take the price or leave it. if you'r elucky enought o drop in on a day she isn't there, very rare, prices are better, but still no haggling. If you're buying a number of items, as I did today (nothing bikes) the overall cost is cheaper.

elStado - I'll keep my eyes peeled. I'm sort of on the lookout for steel frames but low quality to develop some school metalwork projects, if I come across something decent I'll give you the first heads up as I did for the forum with this post.

elStado

Postby elStado » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:51 am

twowheels wrote:elStado - I'll keep my eyes peeled. I'm sort of on the lookout for steel frames but low quality to develop some school metalwork projects, if I come across something decent I'll give you the first heads up as I did for the forum with this post.
Thanks mate- I would really appreciate that, heck I appreciate the thought even if you don't come across anything. :D

I've been in talks with Thoglette who has a frame and some odds and ends, but I would still need plenty of bits and pieces to complete it on the cheap. Plus another spare frame is always good just in case there's an issue with the other one.

I've also been wanting to do up a classic old bike for my GF, I think she'd love it, and it would be nice to go for a leisurely ride together. So if anyone sees an old ladies frame around give me a shout as well.

I think I need a bigger storage shed.. :wink:

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:21 pm

no worries, This is close to you -

(from this post) current roadside junk verge pickup locations

New postby pickle » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:30 am
you're quite right its a bit of an awful system for what we want it for.

I know Applecross has bulk rubbish collection on Monday (11th) and theres normally some good stuff about. I've gotten a few bikes outta those ones.

elStado

Postby elStado » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:33 pm

Cool, Applecross is just on the other side of the river from where I live. Might have to go for a scout on Monday or Tuesday (which is also my day off Uni coincidently).

Just is annoying in a way, as I don't own a car (went "all in"), so I am still not sure what I am going to do if I do ride past a nice bike? I guess if it can roll I can side ride with it.. but that would be awkward to say the least. If it isn't mobile (doesn't have wheels) then I might have to carry it home, Viet style. :shock:

Lol, just thought of another idea, bring my u-lock with me, lock the old bike to a pole, ride home and come back later with a car to pick it up. 8)

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:10 pm

Advantage of being on a cargo bike. I spotted a bike on the verge, popped it on the cargo rack, lashed it down and off I went. Easy. Scored a '90s Malvern Star 61cm CrMo frame sans wheels, seat and pedals, the rest works. Will play around with it for a bit until I need to cut it up for frame bits for a project.

Hilton was cleared out last weekend but Willagee is happening and I saw a mid-sized steel MTB frame on Archibald St a block east of the shops.

P.S don't ask for any reply, I have intermittent internet (with iintermitnet)