Margaret River

Margaret River

Postby toofat » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:50 pm

going down next weekend and wanted to get in a few rides,
has anyone got any recommendations,
was thinking of doing caves road to Augusta and back along the bussel highway or should I be sticking to the smaller backroads
I don't recall seeing any cyclists on my previous visits, mind you that was pre born again biker days so I might not have noticed
toofat

by BNA » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:27 pm

BNA

Postby moosterbounce » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:27 pm

If you avoid the heavy traffic days (good friday is a classic for that!!), then that should be fine. My parents live in Augusta and Dad walks or rides from the town to the lighthouse and loves the ride. If you have an mtb, head to the lighthouse, turn right just before and head round the scenic drive (gravel). It is a great spot for whale watching.

Warning - if you end up in Augusta at your half way point, don't go into the bakery. It is evil, full of nasty custard filled light puffy things, and not good at all. :wink: :oops:

...more for me...
moosterbounce

Postby gdl_gdl » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:21 pm

I've stayed at Geographe Bay View resort a couple of times and there's a bike path that runs North and South of Busselton. All up it's about a 20km return trip so nothing serious but it's a pleasant ride if you want to stay "ticking over" until you return to your normal riding at home! (I take my MTB for this ride so it's more of a challenging work out with a heavier bike.)

Watch out for the OAP Cycling groups on the path! There's a big bunch of them! :wink:

Cheers,

Gary
gdl_gdl

Postby toofat » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:09 am

thanks for the advice, that bakery sounds dangerous moo, ill look out for it,
staying in prevaly so busselton is doable as well, taking the road bike as i dont have a mountain bike, yet
toofat

Postby sittingbison » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:53 pm

moosterbounce wrote:...don't go into the bakery. It is evil, full of nasty custard filled light puffy things, and not good at all...[/size]

and Bilbury turnovers! :D

I specifically didnt metion this in the bakery thread as it was A Bakery Too Far.

Anyway, the ride along caves road is really pleasant, but rolling hills. very rolling hills. or is that rolling very hills. Whatever, its a nice relaxing on the spirit ride, luckily pub and bakery at top of major hill in Augusta so beware of going to the inlet (no need though see previous qualifiaction) :wink:
I have a cunning plan, as cunning as a fox who's just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University
sittingbison

Re: Margaret River

Postby cavebear2 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:51 am

toofat wrote:going down next weekend and wanted to get in a few rides,
has anyone got any recommendations,
was thinking of doing caves road to Augusta and back along the bussel highway or should I be sticking to the smaller backroads
I don't recall seeing any cyclists on my previous visits, mind you that was pre born again biker days so I might not have noticed

I would give Caves Rd a miss as much as possible - too dangerous with traffic. Some good climbing (into the southerly) up Wilderness Rd off Prevally Park Rd. Also I had a good ride while I was in MR in October. S on Bussell Hwy 3kms from MR, left (E) up Rosa Brook Rd, then turn left (N) up Jindong Treeton Rd east of Rosabrook. Follow Jindong Treeton Rd a long way N to its end (where it continues as McDonald Rd) Then turn right (E) up Payne Rd then left (N) up Kaloorup Rd. Follow this to Vasse on the Biusell Hwy. Then head south for about 300 metres on the hwy. before turning right (W) up Vasse Yallingup Siding Ride. Follow this to Wildwood Rd. After this you can use any number of minor roads through the main winery area (check TB free map) plus perhaps Caves Rd to get you back to Prevally Park. This should nett you >120kms of good riding mostly on back roads without tourist traffic and all bitumen. (Part of Jindong Treeton Rd is a bit rough and narrow being very old surface, but with very low traffic volumes)
cavebear2

Postby toofat » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:13 am

Thanks for that Cavebear,
Very useful stuff, I had mapped out a route similar to that but was a bit wary of Jindong Treeton area because of many of the roads in that area have unsealed sections, according to my map

the other one I had considered was taking Rosa Brook to Sues road up sues to the Vasse left across to the Bussel then down Jindong Treeton but your route through the back of yallingup is probably more scenic, that would be why all the winerys are there and not in the cow paddocks further east.

All that remains is to see if a standard size bottle of wine fits in the biddon cage,
Well Ive just tried it,
it does,
good thing too, some of those winery types might get a bit snooty when you decant their premium vintage into the Camelback
toofat

Postby sittingbison » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:13 pm

a camel back takes 2 bottles of premium vintage :wink:
I have a cunning plan, as cunning as a fox who's just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University
sittingbison

Postby moosterbounce » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:47 pm

Sue's Road is beautiful...to drive :)

Heading from Vasse (which is the opposite to your thoughts) it is dead flat for quite a bit. You will start to get bored (unless you have a southerly and then you won't be doing this!). When the flat stuff finishes, it gets very bumpy. Huge, steep buggers. In our old 2.4L diesel patrol we couldn't get up the hills in 5th gear. Needed 4th tops. We were the same going up Greenmount Hill if that helps. When your legs have fallen off, it will go flat again down to the highway.

I'm not sure on Rosa Brook road, but the Highway to Nannup is good in the area around the end of Sue's Road. In fact, it is brilliant...then you get to the turn off for the sand mine which is great too. Needless to say the mining company paid for the road and only cared about the mine, so the road is crap afterwards. It is narrow, bumpy, not enough room for 2 cars and a bike. I say again...crap.

Sue's Road isn't usually busy. Although it was built as a truck access road mainly, I've rarely seen a truck on it. Probably a time of day thing. It is wide and the surface of good.

I have seen lots of roos, emus, and wild pigs though on the road so be prepared for a few smellies :)
moosterbounce

Postby DaveW » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:36 pm

Yahava coffee - the actual coffee house is near the chocolate factory, but they do have a shop front in Margaret River itself.

Obviously the ride from Margaret river to the shop front is not much :roll: but the coffee is nice! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you decide to go to the coffe house itself, then you will have to pit stop at the chocolate factory and the cheese factory along the way.
For provisioins for the ride of course..... :roll: :lol:
Bottecchia 803 Flat bar roadie.

I'm not a complete idiot - parts of me are missing!

DaveW

Postby moosterbounce » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:41 pm

Margaret River bakery used to be BRILLIANT but I haven't been there in ages. All fresh cream in their light fluffy things.

Ignore all wineries in the area - go directly to the meadery on the highway to Nannup about 10km from Karridale :) yummmmmmmm.
moosterbounce

Postby toofat » Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:28 pm

made it down arrived late friday in brilliant sunshine, was here last yer for Christmas and it got to 38 degrees on the day, had a few wines with old friends and then put the bike together, always assemble bike before wine,

forgot to lock the brakes back in after putting the wheels on, they hardly work at all in the open position, as I discovered on the first steep decent the next morning.

Set the alarm for 5.00am and as it went off the heavens opened, the forecast said early showers so had tea ,coffee, toast and no let up so headed out at 6.30, had left the rear clip on mudguard in perth so ended up with a stripe that extended up to the helmet

Took Cavebear's advice and went to rosa brook, the only shop cum garage was shut, they have a good display of Santas outside the community hall including one in a slightly risqu'e position wrapped around a pipe called" North Pole Dancing Santa"

A lot of the farm entrances had a christmas display,
decided to go on to Sues Road, the farms ended and it was dead straight road, pine plantation on the left and jarrah regrowth on the right

long downhills followed by long uphills, lots of rollin, 3 vehicles per hour and lots of rain

Finally got to sue's road and headed left up to Busselton, being a cafe crawler I was hanging out for some refreshment but there was nothing, not even a tap untill Busselton,
the road was big, wide and sweeping a some downhill and a bit of a tailwind
hit the bypass and headed down the causeway into the town of busselton in serious need of sustenance
The Vasse Hotel provided full on breakfast with a few coffee's and rest

the town was buzzing with pre christmas shoppers, headed out along the highway and into the backblocks heading down jindong treeton back toward Margaret River

by this stage the wind had picked up considerably, it was still spitting rain and bloody cold, I had only the thinnest of cycle clothing and sunscreen
At times the wind was holding me back to 10km ph

it was cold bleak and miserable and the voices said" surely you cannot be enjoying this," they had a point so I called for back up and only got to Cowaramup I was gratefull to get inside a warm car and back to prevalley for a hot bath

that was 130 km and the last 50 pretty unpleasant, I did learn some interesting things about the region, there are a lot more cows than people,
many cows have not seen a cyclist, people in lycra can cause cows to panick, cows don't run cafes or petrol stations, take more food and drink

:D
toofat

Postby ajh_ausnzcf » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:02 pm

people in lycra can cause cows to panick

I recently found out it was a legal offence to do so.
Axles A Randonee O Noodle.

"Doc, just tell me straight ... am I going to die?"
ajh_ausnzcf

Postby cavebear2 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:34 am

toofat wrote:I did learn some interesting things about the region, there are a lot more cows than people,
many cows have not seen a cyclist, people in lycra can cause cows to panick, cows don't run cafes or petrol stations, take more food and drink
:D

Enjoyed your report toofat!

BTW. I often moo hysterically at bystanding cows whether I am walking or cycling. I love the quizzical or just plain bored/impassive expressions on their faces! :D

BTW. went for a 142k ride after the 'Burn of the Christmas Turkey', trying to put pressure on Toolong! (and he doesn't deserve it! :cry: )
cavebear2

Postby toofat » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:10 am

Crikey Cavedear
I wondered why you were up at 2.34 am.

Well that should sort things out,

still a few days though,

ill watch out for posts on BJ just before midnight on the 31st
toofat

Postby moosterbounce » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:10 pm

cavebear2 wrote:BTW. I often moo hysterically at bystanding cows whether I am walking or cycling. I love the quizzical or just plain bored/impassive expressions on their faces! :D

It may surprise you, but I do this too :D

I also moo at my little girl Daphne because she looks so much like a cow. She tries to eat my nose when I do it though, so I don't think she sees the funny side!!

moosterbounce

Return to Western Australia