Freeway Ride?

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:11 pm

bicyclewa wrote:Note to WA Moderator - We've hijacked the thread again. Sorry :D
YOU'RE the moderator :shock:

Yes yes, I know there is an obvious problem here BUT ...

... you wouldn't want us to rely on Crank would you? :shock:

Richard

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:16 pm

europa wrote:... you wouldn't want us to rely on Crank would you? :shock:
Crank is busy riding and working on a top secret project :D

He does make a good moderator though. He deleted some absolute loonie on another forum where he moderates :D

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:48 pm

bicyclewa wrote: He deleted some absolute loonie on another forum where he moderates :D
Does he ride a fixie ?

Have a nice day
training log
ImageImageImage
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:50 pm

bicyclewa wrote:
mikesbytes wrote:Really.... Is it against the law to have them attached ?
For the ride around the rivers, they state "No Tri bars". I tried the argument that mine are touring bars and are mounted a lot higher, but they claim Tri Bars are dangerous in group rides, so I didn't do the ride.

It's too much trouble removing them, plus I have the camera mounted on them now too.
If the bicycle is road legal, then what powers did they have to prevent the bike being ridden? They could of asked you not to use the tri bars during the ride, but I would be supprised if they could legally prevent you from riding a bike that had them fitted.

Have a nice day
training log
ImageImageImage

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:23 pm

mikesbytes wrote:
bicyclewa wrote: He deleted some absolute loonie on another forum where he moderates :D
Does he ride a fixie ?
Yes and he's from SA :D

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:27 pm

mikesbytes wrote:If the bicycle is road legal, then what powers did they have to prevent the bike being ridden? They could of asked you not to use the tri bars during the ride, but I would be supprised if they could legally prevent you from riding a bike that had them fitted.
It was an organised ride where they closed part of the freeway and other roads. I just didn't ride in it. I saved myself some money by not riding.

gdl_gdl

Postby gdl_gdl » Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:38 pm

Getting it back on topic.... :wink:

I did the ride last year in Group C and managed to complete in just under 60 mins. If you put yourself in Group C then it feels good as you pick off the Group B riders that shouldn't be there :lol: :lol: (Group B started 5 mins ahead from Group C from memory).

This year, I've put myself in Group A to challenge myself. I hope to complete in under 50mins but we'll see how it goes. (My stretch target is 35kmh average but this will depend on the wind speed / direction on the day)

Allow for the fact that your speed in the race may be about 5km higher than your training rides. (I was averaging about 25kmh in training and then did an average of just over 30kmh during the race). Main reasons for this are tagging yourself to a faster group, the motivation to catch other riders, a nice smooth road surface and pure adrenalin at being in a 'race' type event.

Cheers,

Gary

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:07 pm

I agree. You do tend to push, and there are no corners and no obstructions so you can go crazy (I think deep down, I am a TT girl). i considered going into group A, but they just looked so much better than me :? Although I will be in jersey and knicks this year so will look more professional :roll: I might still have a spare tyre around my waist, but it is now one of those space saving ones, not the full 4WD model!! :oops:

As for the aero bars, I can't find anything on the website that says you can't have them. I considered buying a tri bike (with full tri bars - no drops) as I used to race triathalons and was used to this style of riding. In talking to my LBS, they mentioned that most group rides considered them dangerous. When in the aero position, you have no brakes where your hands are. I can understand this now after riding my road bike more. In the end, I went for the road bike and will fit tri-bars when I am comfortable with the bike and gearing for entering some TT events (I just found the ATTA website so am keen!!).

With the "round the river" ride last year, I not only saw people with them, but they were using them too!! I was a bit annoyed as it was one of the main reasons for my decision!! There isn't any scrutineering before the events, so I don't know how they can police it anyway.

I would leave them on and claim no knowledge of this "rule" if someone picks you up on it!! :wink:

I will be looking for the BWA flags now. At least I know there will be a loo nearby if I need to go :D

Moo...

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:52 pm

moosterbounce wrote:I would leave them on and claim no knowledge of this "rule" if someone picks you up on it!! :wink:

I will be looking for the BWA flags now. At least I know there will be a loo nearby if I need to go :D

Moo...
I'm leaving them on as the aero bar camera is attached to it. I won't be riding flat out hence the class C start. I'm mainly in the ride for some fun and to get some good photographs of what freeways really should be used for. :D

I will be hauling the BOB trailer, but the loo might be missing. I was looking at a doll's house, but I may have a small scale model pink porsche lined up :shock:

Anyway it's a fun day, so I'll find something inventive and fun to put in the trailer.

senator52

Postby senator52 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:12 pm

Well i've decided that i'll be running in C group :) can't wait it should be great fun for a first event, 30km shouldnt be too hard, and if it is my uncle can laugh at me all the way home... :P

gdl_gdl

Postby gdl_gdl » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:30 pm

Good choice re Group C, if you're feeling confident on the day then you can always get to the front of the starting grid for Group C and then begin your pursuit of Group B riders :lol: Each Group takes about 5 minutes to pass the start line from memory. (Watch out for the riders who ride 20 abreast and cycle like they're browsing the food aisles at Coles! :wink: )

And watch out for any bikes with a "bicycleWA" flag! :wink:

If you're new to cycling (I've been cycling for 3 years and still consider myself "new"!) then there's come sensible training tips on the link below....

http://www.freewaybikehike.com.au/index.php?pageid=59

Cheers,

Gary

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:34 pm

gdl_gdl wrote:And watch out for any bikes with a "bicycleWA" flag! :wink:
The BOB trailer has the BicycleWA little yellow flag under the BOB yellow flag and the trailer has the banners on the side.

I'll probably run with the front panniers on as well. I might fill them with styrofoam and go and hassle some racers :D

senator52

Postby senator52 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:00 am

If you're still new at 3yrs...that makes me barely able to claim i ride :P so the training page will be of considerable help! Thanks

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:40 pm

I think though of everyone puts in a request to their God (I'm hoping to cover all religions and beliefs here just in case one is "wrong"), we can get that southerly!!

I'll be happy with an easterly, but hoping like hell we don't get a norwester!!

Moo...

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:08 pm

moosterbounce wrote:I'll be happy with an easterly, but hoping like hell we don't get a norwester!!
The southerly will be nice, but if the weather is "normal" it will probably be a SE or easterly. Good for the start. At least the freeway has plenty of lanes to allow for sideways drift.

I wonder if a norwester will put people off?

sevenof25

is this a bike forum or for moderators to take the mickey??

Postby sevenof25 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:53 pm

G'day all,

been a while since I posted.....but I'll be doing group B this year, did C last year, there's even a pick of me (and ex and her kids in trailer) riding on the animated gif on the freeway bike website.

Meanwhile intstead of making bad jokes about WA imports (G'day Kev), I've been working my triathlon gear, up to 7km a week swimming, 3 runs a week, a few peloton rides soon sorted any pathetic attempt (AT) a 30km ride, yes I can even keep up with the cyclemania (small group) with my truck (98 Shogun Metro 25kg) and no I didn't buy the giant....no point buying something when I'm till too stupid to know better..well was.
Peace and watchout for my bald head on Sunday..whoosh.

stooze

senator52

Postby senator52 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:59 pm

After all that, i cant do the ride :cry: because of my unresolved brakes issue, i dont think they would appreciate me on the ride without brakes somehow :P

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:13 pm

What's wrong with the brakes? Surely they can be fixed before the weekend? How hard can it be? Ok, yes, I take my bike to the lbs for all work except changing a flat and lubing the chain so I really don't have a clue on anything mechanical!! :D I just hate to see you not able to do the ride. Can someone lend you a bike?

Moo...

senator52

Postby senator52 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:58 pm

I got that thread in the Buying Parts/Bikes section...pretty much, wrote my old bike off, friend gave me his old Repco Superlite when he left to go back to England (coz he knew i was looking for a steed til i get outta uni, then i will get something shiny 8) ) anyway to my shock, the brakes dont work, like flat out dont work :? and my mate did not own a car when he lived here, commuted entirely by bike, with no brakes! So its an issue of finding new brakes that can replace the old ones, and checking a few compatibility issues...old frame, new brakes (ie. dual pivots) ...have things changed etc. And i dont really know many ppl that cycle so borrowing a bike would seem, unlikely :roll:

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:04 pm

senator52 wrote:I got that thread in the Buying Parts/Bikes section...pretty much, wrote my old bike off, friend gave me his old Repco Superlite when he left to go back to England (coz he knew i was looking for a steed til i get outta uni, then i will get something shiny 8) ) anyway to my shock, the brakes dont work, like flat out dont work :? and my mate did not own a car when he lived here, commuted entirely by bike, with no brakes! So its an issue of finding new brakes that can replace the old ones, and checking a few compatibility issues...old frame, new brakes (ie. dual pivots) ...have things changed etc. And i dont really know many ppl that cycle so borrowing a bike would seem, unlikely :roll:
Senator, I don't understand your problem with brakes for the Repco Superlite, could you please post some pictures.

My Repco Superlite aka "the beast" simply takes standard brakes, the rear is whatever was on the bike and the front has been repaced with one out the parts bin in the garage. I could put the brakes off the OCR on it if I wanted.

Burn plenty of Glycogen
training log
ImageImageImage

senator52

Postby senator52 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:32 pm

That's all i need to know :D having no experience with any new bikes, nor any new components to compare it too, i just needed to know if new dual pivot's would be compatible with my old bike. Appreciate the help, now i just have to get some. I have been looking at some Campag Mirage's off Probikekit, if i buy them will i need Campag specific cables? And would they have any compatibility issues with the brake levers (im sorry i dont know who they are made by...)? If not, well its a problem easily solved :) and Im looking forward to getting out and riding again.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:58 pm

Why don't you take the Superlite down to the local bike shop and ask them.

Burn plenty of Glycogen
training log
ImageImageImage

mysrh

Postby mysrh » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:01 am

I will enter group C like last year. Too bad I stopped training since last October, was thinking to try group B. Oh well...

I will be wearing blue Monster Cookies jersey on the day.

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:35 am

The groups really are a bit of a hit and miss affair anyway. Last year I nominated for Group D, started with Group C and finished ahead of some people in Group B!!

Picked up my pack this year and you only get a number - unlike last year, you don't have your starting group in giant letters next to your number!! I suppose this makes it easier for changing your group on the day depending on how you feel (I can guess I'm gonna feel pretty tired at that time of the morning :wink: ). So don't get hung up about the starting grid.

The other thing I thought when I picked up my pack was how not to stick anything to my bike!! I don't want to dirty the shiny new carbon :roll:

Moo...

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:28 pm

moosterbounce wrote:The other thing I thought when I picked up my pack was how not to stick anything to my bike!! I don't want to dirty the shiny new carbon :roll:

Moo...
Your not the only one who doesn't wanna stick a sticker on carbon....
What I'm going to do is stick half the sticker on plastic so plastic is around my seat post and no sticker!

I picked my pack up on thursday and what did I find, no jerseys available grrr. Now I hope it turns up in the post before sunday.