Reporting a hazard

purplegolden

Reporting a hazard

Postby purplegolden » Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:36 pm

Hi

for those of you not aware that there is a site that you can report hazards to. You need to go to the dpi.wa.gov.au site under cyling. Look for 'reporting a hazard'. Then you need to fill in the form and they will do something about it. You can report things like broken glass on the path, overhanging branches. In my experience things have been usually fixed the next day.

Unfortunately nothing can be done about inconsiderate drivers or pedestrians though!

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:45 pm

The page link is here.

They are usually quick in fixing things. I'd agree that it's a shame that they can't do anything about the inconsiderate drivers and pedestrians.

Bruce

Re: Reporting a hazard

Postby Bruce » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:29 pm

purplegolden wrote:Hi

for those of you not aware that there is a site that you can report hazards to. You need to go to the dpi.wa.gov.au site under cyling. Look for 'reporting a hazard'. Then you need to fill in the form and they will do something about it. You can report things like broken glass on the path, overhanging branches. In my experience things have been usually fixed the next day.

Unfortunately nothing can be done about inconsiderate drivers or pedestrians though!
brocken glass is a pox on the path or road,re-introduce deposits for glass containers may stem the problem.
whats telling dpi going to do?
Last edited by Bruce on Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:24 pm, edited 8 times in total.

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:10 pm

DPI report the glass hazard to Main Roads who are trying to build a list of known hot spots for broken glass and cleaning the known areas before they get reported as a hazard.

There is a letter from Main Roads on the Bicycle Transport Alliance of WA's web site explaining the process.

For example, where it's known that weekend behaviour leads to broken glass on a particular area of path they inspect it and clean it up.

I've seen this in action early on a Sunday morning along the Subiaco - West Leederville cycle path after drunken footy fans smash glass bottles along the path.

Bruce

Postby Bruce » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:30 pm

Broken glass arround train stations bus ports that are on dual paths are a challenge, more bins are the go. This is a large challenge every where.
Roadies that throw out tubes on paths is not a good look, most needing a patch,thanks.
Pocket rockets are somthing to be wary of on the bike paths also

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:29 pm

Bruce wrote:Roadies that throw out tubes on paths is not a good look, most needing a patch,thanks.
I've seen hundreds. This is definately not a good look. Pity that the tubes are so narrow, they won't fit my wide tyres, otherwise I'd have many years supply of tubes.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:22 pm

Bruce wrote:Roadies that throw out tubes on paths is not a good look, most needing a patch,thanks.
I aggree, rubbish is rubbish. If they are not going to patch the tube, then they should at least keep it until they can put it in a bin.

Burn plenty of Glycogen
Frame Size Calculator
ImageImageImage
training log
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:10 pm

I must admit, I haven't seen any discarded tubes in my wonderings, or the CO2 bombs. If it were me though, I would take my tube home and give it a good telling off before letting my husband apply a patch :wink:

The only litter I leave around the site of a puncture is lots of dirty, dirty words :shock: :oops: :D

Moo...

gdl_gdl

Postby gdl_gdl » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:20 pm

There's a lovely hazard on Marmion Avenue between Iluka and Mindarie at the moment. They are putting a new roundabout onto the dual carriageway and they have two 'normal' lanes and a cycle lane merging into two skinny road 'coned' lanes with no cycle lane.

Cyclists, I assume, are expected to merge with the traffic at a safe point! There is no warning for the cycle lane ending other than a line of cones which appears in order to funnel the traffic through the temp road lanes.

(If you entered the temp road lane the cars behind you would have to wait behind you until the cones end or attempt to overtake when there is not enough room to do so.)

Funny thing is, there is enough room to have created a temp cycle lane (there has to be one for the finished roundabout anyway), I guess it never occurred to have one! :(

I'll be using the footpath to avoid this one. I'm not into Russian Roulette.

Cheers,

Gary

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:56 pm

Now why didn't you post this yesterday? :wink:

Went to Hillarys in the morning yeaterday then headed up to Butler before turning for home (50km back to my place) and found the half-roundabout you mentioned. We were already on the road so went through easier than expected. It was about 10.30am Saturday morning so I was surprised it wasn't busier, but we may have been lucky with a light change. I won't do it again in a hurry though - too risky.

The only other hazard I encountered heading north just before the lights at Burns Beach Road was some *bleep* p-platers who threw an iced coffee (an expensive one with ice and everything) at me. Hit the road about 10cm in front of my front wheel luckily and I didn't even miss a beat. Didn't get the plate, but knew the car...only to have it get through the lights and disappear. Not that I know what I would have done...but I wasn't happy!! :x

Look out for a white mazda bravo use with canopy - a bit beat up with p-plates. I'll be watching out at muzz-buzz for him too :wink:

Moo...

gdl_gdl

Postby gdl_gdl » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:20 pm

some *bleep* p-platers who threw an iced coffee (an expensive one with ice and everything) at me

Hi Moo,

Consider yourself very lucky, they wasted coffee on you!, I've only had a full plastic bottle of water thrown at me near Whitfords Nodes about a year ago! :wink:

BTW, Connolly Drive is due to be finished in a few months so that will give you a good circuit path back from Butler. (and it gives me a better way to the Freeway bike path.)

BTW(again), have you tried going up Neerabup Rd yet (at the side of Bunnings) ? Great practice if you don't like hills! :wink: :wink:

Cheers,

Gary

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:12 pm

Wasted coffee on me? Nah...but then, I don't drink coffee!!

The only thing I've had at Whitfords Nodes is abuse yelled out car windows ("get on the footpath" don't they realise how stupid that sounds?!). The trials and tribulations of a cyclist!!

Haven't tried Neerabup road yet. To be honest, you made it sound a little scary. :oops: I'm still enjoying the shenton ave to hodges drive circle next to the beach (roundabout to roundabout) as that has a "nice" hill that I can practice on. There are some nasties near us coming up from the golf course that I have my eye on too. They are steep, but short and I may feel brave one day!!

I find that I have certain routes that I tend to ride depending how I feel and don't tend to vary them too much. Is it a fear of getting lost? :roll: Hee hee!!

I promise that before July I will try this road. I may surprise myself!!

btw when do you usually catch the train? i probably sit next to you!!

Moo...

gdl_gdl

Postby gdl_gdl » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:05 pm

If I'm in the CBD then I usually catch the train at Clarkson between 6.30am and 6.45am (subject to the kids behaving at home!) Usual practice is to take a great book with me (usually a cycling or other sports book) and switch off for half an hour!! Normal plan of attack is to have client appointments in the afternoon so I can get an early dart! Doesn't always work though! :cry:

What time do you catch the train? I assume you won't be in cycling gear! :lol:

BTW, Will be attempting Quinns Road soon as part of my prep for the Tour De Perth participation ride!

Cheers,

Gary

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:53 am

Gee, that's early. I'm more of an 8-8.30am girl. I'm still walking the dogs when you are going to work!! Definitely not in cycling gear, but often reading RIDE :D

I too tend to plan client visits for an early exit, but also have the luxury of being able to do some work from home so an early leave, then ride, then work is possible sometimes. Just depending on my project at the time, though atm I'm between client projects so a bit more flexible.

Oh well. Maybe see my new post in this area and we can work out who everyone is!!

Moo...