Winter Riding

GingaNinja

Winter Riding

Postby GingaNinja » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:20 pm

Does your riding drop off during winter, why is this and what strategies have you found to keep your riding up during winter.

I myself don't like the cold and wet so my riding does drop off, have found that leggings, armies, booties and a thermal top under my jersey have worked a treat in the height of winter.
I have a winter cycle jacket but find I just am as wet due to the sauna that is created so I just don't wear that.
I have resorted to wacking a pastic bag around my helmet to stop the rain coming through as helmets are designed mainly for ventilation.
I have found that my bike computer and light can let water in and temporarily effect the electrics, yet to find a good solution to this problem.
Perth's winter isn't too bad and rain tends to be intermittent so plenty of riding opportunities remain.
I have a mountain bike but just cant take it for my long commute to work as it blows out the time. So just need to clean up my bike after each ride and lube regularly.
End of Ride Facilities are good but little ventilation means wet cycle gear doesn't dry out before my next ride, so I put in a fan and just having some ventilation in there helps alot in drying the gear.

What are your experiences?
Here is to keeping the riding up and avoiding the car. Cheers Dave.

Aushiker

Re: Winter Riding

Postby Aushiker » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:34 pm

GingaNinja wrote:Does your riding drop off during winter, why is this and what strategies have you found to keep your riding up during winter.
G'day

Short answer is no. Long answer is maybe ... I tend to not go out when there are road weather alerts and/or lightening is about.
have found that leggings, armies, booties and a thermal top under my jersey have worked a treat in the height of winter.
I wear leg and arm warmers, skull cap, winter gloves and overshoes when it is cold and when it is raining my Goretex jacket. That is it for me.
I have found that my bike computer and light can let water in and temporarily effect the electrics, yet to find a good solution to this problem.
Both my computerand lightsare waterproof to reasonable standards. More than sufficient for riding in the rain.
So just need to clean up my bike after each ride and lube regularly.
In winter and spring I go to a 500 km clean and service schedule. I don't clean my bikes after every ride but then I commute every day.

Regards
Andrew

grbelja

Postby grbelja » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:28 pm

I ride in winter from Jandakot to Perth and back three times a week. I don't ride my road bike on wet days instead I ride my MTB with semi-slicks ... it feels safer

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:44 pm

grbelja wrote:I ride in winter from Jandakot to Perth and back three times a week. I don't ride my road bike on wet days instead I ride my MTB with semi-slicks ... it feels safer
That's what I am going to do in winter. I have the MTB, just need the semi's.
<removed by request>

Pax

Postby Pax » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:02 pm

No difference in the amount of riding I do in winter compared to summer. In SE Qld winter is drier than summer so rain isn't a big issue. Obviously more likely to commute in the dark so good lights are essential.

I add differnt amounts of warm layers according to the temperature (all the normal stuff that everyone knows about). Experience gives you a good idea of how much to put on so as not to freeze at the start of the ride but also not to cook a couple of ks into the ride. I hve no doubt it is a personal choice thing...what one person would find too much another will find too little.

Never had computer or light trouble...well actually sometimes rear flasher trouble in the rain, but always have 2 or 3 rear flashers so if one fails there is still visibility.

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:09 pm

what strategies have you found to keep your riding up during winter.
Get some ruthless mates that will absolutely hang shrit upon you if you fail to turn up for a group ride.

typical comments are

"so what sport does your husband play love?"
"soft rooster"
"staying home to wash your blouse?"
"harden up princess"
"your buy for the beers" :shock:

etc etc
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:40 am

GingaNinja wrote:Does your riding drop off during winter, why is this and what strategies have you found to keep your riding up during winter.
Mudguards. And lights.

Then sensible clothing - same as if I were hiking/sking (on frosty mornings). Layers, gloves, beanie, boot covers.

I actually prefer riding in winter - it's cool enough that one can keep up a gentle pace without getting sweaty. And it never gets really cold here.

But on really wet mornings I reckon I should just wear a wetsuit :-)
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:37 am

Thoglette wrote:And it never gets really cold here.
G'day

It was cold this morning at 6:00 AM ... and in winter it gets b..... cold at 6:00 AM ... This morning I wished I had my vest and leg warmers with me. I had arm warmers which helped a bit.

Andrew

rustguard

Postby rustguard » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:01 pm

at the beginning of last winter I picked up a fleecy beany type thing that has small ear flaps (not the big ones you see in american movies) it is worth its wait in the cold, that and some nice warm full length pants take so much pain out of the experience

grbelja

Postby grbelja » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:12 pm

Yes , there was a bite in the air this morning. I think it's nearly time for some base layers.

ausdb

Postby ausdb » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:47 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Thoglette wrote:And it never gets really cold here.
G'day

It was cold this morning at 6:00 AM ... and in winter it gets b..... cold at 6:00 AM ... This morning I wished I had my vest and leg warmers with me. I had arm warmers which helped a bit.

Andrew
But at least it was light at 6AM it actually felt bizarre taking off from Leederville this morning and being able to see without lights :D
I am the wuss of my cycling group and wore lightweight armwarmers and had bibnicks under my jersey which was not too bad, but almost time for a gilet for me.
When I see the overnight forecast temps down below 12-13°C then I know to rug up in the morning, but it's amazing some of the places in Perth that are always that little bit colder than all the rest. The bike path/road along the railway line just past the showgrounds towards Karrakatta barracks is one that sticks out for me.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:35 pm

I carry a two dollar glad-wrap type pancho in the backpack for really clod driving rain 'though the rain doesn't generally phase me. But if it's cold my nose dribbles, I get headaches, ear ache, etc. Light woolen gloves with fingers, and sometimes a balaclava to keep the air warm before it hits my sinuses are my long time strategy.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

cavebear2

Postby cavebear2 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:21 pm

Hi Dave,

In short, it doesn't rain much in Perth (if taken as a % of the total day) so you just have to be flexible and commute on your old banger if you have 1. :lol:

Regards

Perry

gdl_gdl

Postby gdl_gdl » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:36 pm

It was a cold one this morning at 6am - I even had to get the long sleeve jersey out for the first time this year!

To rub salt in the wounds, I even had the misfortune of having a headwind all the way to Perth - I know what if felt like to be a South of the River rider for a change! :lol:

Cheers,

Gary

rustguard

Postby rustguard » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:44 pm

cavebear2 wrote:In short, it doesn't rain much in Perth (if taken as a % of the total day) so you just have to be flexible and commute on your old banger if you have 1. :lol:

Regards

Perry
I'm really lucky I guess because my racer has stainless cables and is aluminum except for a few cap screws, so I can ride it in the rain without worrying,
but my dearly loved "old bangers" have mudguards!
gdl_gdl wrote:It was a cold one this morning at 6am - I even had to get the long sleeve jersey out for the first time this year!

To rub salt in the wounds, I even had the misfortune of having a headwind all the way to Perth - I know what if felt like to be a South of the River rider for a change! :lol:

Cheers,

Gary
Is it just me or does Perth wind have an uncanny knack of changing directions as you do, so often I head out against the wind so my return ride will be easier, as soon as I turn around so does the wind. does anyone else find this?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:33 pm

gdl_gdl wrote:To rub salt in the wounds, I even had the misfortune of having a headwind all the way to Perth - I know what if felt like to be a South of the River rider for a change! :lol:
Head wind :?: You really need to HTFU Gary :mrgreen: Try riding south into winds up to 52 km/h (along the coast yesterday) and do that day after day ... Just remember that next time you are cruising home with those same winds :)

Andrew

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:15 pm

Yes and no

For the few days it rains heavy, instead of riding to the train station I will take the bus.

But otherwise, I just reschedule my full commutes to other days.

Big advantage of riding home in winter, you do not get the sea breeze, so I can ride all the way home. Instead of wimping out at the 24km mark after battling the headwinds and catching the train.

gdl_gdl

Postby gdl_gdl » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:28 pm

Just remember that next time you are cruising home with those same winds

LMAO!!! I remembered as I was being blown home tonight!!!

I have changed my route slightly on the way home given the darkness. I no longer try to turn right at the Burns Beach / Connolly Drive roundabout, I use the underpass and come out on the South side of Kinross and then rejoin Connolly Drive further down the track. I enjoy my commutes but there are some intersections that are just too risky and that is one of them (unless you are travelling straight on)!

Cheers,

Gary

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:39 pm

gdl_gdl wrote:Just remember that next time you are cruising home with those same winds

LMAO!!! I remembered as I was being blown home tonight!!!
Your turn will come ... the winds where more southerly this avro, 39 to 50 km/h over my 29 km commute. Saved me 10 minutes that slight change did :)

Andrew

Funkymonk

Postby Funkymonk » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:41 pm

2XU gear and dig deep

ausdb

Postby ausdb » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:31 pm

Rather than start a new thread, might as well bump this one up.
Do I need to remind anyone that it was rather cold out and around the river this morning BBBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :!:

jaykay

Postby jaykay » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:49 pm

Riding from Kalamunda to Roleystone at 730 last Saturday was the coldest I have ever felt, I lost feeling in more extremities than I wish to mention. This was with leg and arm warmers.
"If you get rich off this stuff, just take care of my family. I don't want my kids to have to go to college."
GT Sport

GingaNinja

Postby GingaNinja » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:51 pm

ausdb wrote:Rather than start a new thread, might as well bump this one up.
Do I need to remind anyone that it was rather cold out and around the river this morning BBBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :!:
It has been quite cold the last week, but hit the lows today. double gloves and still my fingers froze.

Oh and Saturday I just did home renos rather than cycling given the 4*C forecast. Brrrrr.

bomberdon

Postby bomberdon » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:55 pm

any tips for keeping the toes warm?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:07 pm

bomberdon wrote:any tips for keeping the toes warm?
Thick socks (winter socks) and/or overshoes.

Regards
Andrew