Stolen/recovered bikes from Perth

Stolen/recovered bikes from Perth

Postby Mububban » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:12 pm

Do other Perthies know about Police auctions held to sell off stolen goods, recovered from crims, that are unable to be returned to their owners?

I've had my bike stolen years ago and never found again, I only wonder if someone else picked it up for a bargain price at a W.A Police Unclaimed & Forfeited Property Auction.

http://www.auctions.com.au/auctions/200 ... ction.html

Yesterday's auction had 180 - yes, 180 - stolen bikes for sale. Reading through the list of bikes, there are some damn nice ones in there! Bikes I would have thought would be reported as stolen and possibly photographed by their owners just in case. My wife needs a bike, chances are I'll pick one up from one of these auctions one day.

Also if you're a tradie and have had your tools knicked, or anything really (jewellery, TVs etc) these auctions may just be a way to stumble across your stolen items.

Best of luck
Mububban

by BNA » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:23 am

BNA

Re: Stolen/recovered bikes from Perth

Postby HappyHumber » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:23 am

Isn't there some statute of limitations or somesuch? The police hold these things for a while in the anticipation of them being claimed before releasing them to be sold.

What claim would you have if you walked into an auction and spotted something as your own, I wonder? Some strong evidence of original ownership and possibly some record of the original police report of them being stolen may help.

Not saying it couldn't be done - but I doubt it would be simple & straight forward. You'd want a good leg to stand on.

Just thinking out loud...
- Kym
Please don't assume I'm on Facebook.
HappyHumber

Postby Chanboy » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:35 am

The way I read it Mububban is just interested if someone was lucky enough to pick up his old bike... not sure he is trying to recover it.

However, do the Police do the same auctions in NSW??? :-) Ethically do we feel ok buying someone else's bike knowing they went through the heartbreak of having a bike stolen? (especially if we get some great deal)

If I knew the original owner received an insurance pay out, I would have no problem with it...
Chanboy

Postby bouncer1979 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:26 am

There is an act which deals specifically with the disposal of property. It specifically deals with lost/unclaimed property. WAPOL will endeavour to locate owners of property but this is generally limited to a database search to see if it has been reported as lost or stolen, occasionally you will see WAPOL in the media when a large quantity of something valuable or significant has been located in an attempt to trace owners. It should be noted that there is no legislative requirement for an ordinary citizen to hand property into the police. This act allows private citizens/businesses to deal with unclaimed property and identifies how they need to do it to cover their own risks.

Once property has been received it is held for a limited time (2-3 months, I can't remember of hand) before being disposed of. It is either destroyed if it is of little monetary value or there are privacy issues eg mobile phones, HDD, USB sticks etc etc, disposed to WAPOL, given to charity or sent for auction.

If you identified stolen property prior to auction you would probably get it back. At least it would probably be removed and WAPOL would conduct further inquiries into it to ascertain ownership. If you tried to get it after the hammer has dropped, it would probably be to late. I don't think WAPOL would be interested and you would probably be referred to a civil court to try and recover it.

Please note that I am running this from the top of my head and there are always exceptions to the rules. I believe the act is The Disposal of Property Act but I may be mistaken. This is a general guide only based on my experiences with the subject matter and if anyone needs specific advice they should seek further information from WAPOL or a legal representative.

Personally I have no problem, morally, getting a bike from auction because the legal requirements have been taken care of and I know that the effort has been made to locate the owner/s.

Anyone feel free to correct any errors I may have inadvertantly made. :)

Enjoy. :D
bouncer1979

Postby Aushiker » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:20 am

Mububban wrote:Do other Perthies know about Police auctions held to sell off stolen goods, recovered from crims, that are unable to be returned to their owners?

G'day

Thanks for the heads-up. Might be a good source for a donor bike for a project.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby twowheels » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:30 pm

Mububban wrote:Do other Perthies know about Police auctions held to sell off stolen goods, recovered from crims, that are unable to be returned to their owners?

I've had my bike stolen years ago and never found again, I only wonder if someone else picked it up for a bargain price at a W.A Police Unclaimed & Forfeited Property Auction.

http://www.auctions.com.au/auctions/200 ... ction.html

Yesterday's auction had 180 - yes, 180 - stolen bikes for sale. Reading through the list of bikes, there are some damn nice ones in there! Bikes I would have thought would be reported as stolen and possibly photographed by their owners just in case. My wife needs a bike, chances are I'll pick one up from one of these auctions one day.

Also if you're a tradie and have had your tools knicked, or anything really (jewellery, TVs etc) these auctions may just be a way to stumble across your stolen items.

Best of luck

they aren't all stolen, auction is unclaimed.

i bought a bike from one of these auctions a year or so ago now and have given a heads up about upcoming austions previously. bike was so new it still had the original factory drink bottle. also still had the bike shop sticker. still for sale at unclaimed auction though. i kept my auction receipt.
twowheels

Postby nickobec » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:02 am

I had a look on inspection day, there where a few nice bikes, like a late model trek USPS replica with full ultegra well used, an Avanti (full 105) like new except for a dash of road rash, a classic Peugot, a couple of reasonable flat bars, a couple of decent mountain bikes but the great majority where cheap chinese made hybrids in poor condition.

I was looking for a project bike of the 180, I saw 1 suitable road frame, 1 mtb frame and few suitable parts donors and that was it.

Seeing I signed up as bidder 357, prior to lunch the day before the auction, there was a heap of people inspecting the bikes. And they either knew nothing about bikes or few knew something (while looking at Peugot at least 3 other blokes had a close inspection) I decided to give it the auction miss. And hopefully use the time elsewhere to find what I want else where.
nickobec

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:23 am

nickobec wrote:I was looking for a project bike of the 180, I saw 1 suitable road frame, 1 mtb frame and few suitable parts donors and that was it.

If you are looking for a project bike, try viewtopic.php?f=25&t=11776&p=198290#p198290
<removed by request>
casual_cyclist

Postby twowheels » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:00 pm

nickobec wrote: there was a heap of people inspecting the bikes. And they either knew nothing about bikes or few knew something .

i found the same. many of those that knew nothing about bikes were actually the ones who picked up the "no one else is gunna bid bargains" for $5 for resale later ... they knew exactly what they were doing, just on another page.

if you work out what you want before the auction and hopefully "your"lot is early my tips are -
- don't start the bidding, wait for it to come down. Hopefully no one else jumps in early either.
-get to know the routine for fall of hammer. if someone else does start bidding wait till the fall commences before raising bid, don't jump straight back at a bid.
- if the bids start late and you bid against one of these "no one else is gunna bid bargains" bidders they are unlikely to raise the stakes too much.
- but research what you're bidding on & stick strictly to your limit. if you miss out there will always be another bike.
twowheels

Postby nickobec » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:48 am

twowheels how much did that nice Peugot go for?
nickobec

Postby twowheels » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:40 pm

nickobec wrote:twowheels how much did that nice Peugot go for?

i didn't go to the most recent auction ... to make things clearer, "i have previously found the same", so it wasn't just the crowd on the day you attended.
twowheels

Postby jaseyjase » Sun May 03, 2009 12:14 am

nickobec wrote:twowheels how much did that nice Peugot go for?

bit late, but what the heck. I had my eye on that as well, i think it went to about $225. I was also orginally waiting on the peugeot and a group of 3, i think hallmarks? But i couldnt be bothered waiting anymore.

jase
jaseyjase

Postby cobba » Wed May 13, 2009 1:46 pm

There's another auction coming up on the 3rd of June with over 100 bikes.

http://www.auctions.com.au/auctions/2009/06/03/wa-police-unclaimed-forfeited-property-auction.html#15

Image Image Image
cobba

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed May 13, 2009 3:58 pm

Thanks for the heads up.
cobba wrote:Image

Does anyone know what the story is with those Meridas. They look nice, but I have never heard of them before. Does anyone know if they are any good?
<removed by request>
casual_cyclist

Postby Aushiker » Wed May 13, 2009 4:16 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:Does anyone know what the story is with those Meridas. They look nice, but I have never heard of them before. Does anyone know if they are any good?

G'day

Have a read of this page. Merida gets a mention or three :)

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed May 13, 2009 4:58 pm

Aushiker wrote:
casual_cyclist wrote:Does anyone know what the story is with those Meridas. They look nice, but I have never heard of them before. Does anyone know if they are any good?

G'day

Have a read of this page. Merida gets a mention or three :)

Andrew

Thanks for the linky Andrew. Makes for some interesting reading.
<removed by request>
casual_cyclist

Postby cobba » Wed May 13, 2009 5:08 pm

Merida is one of the largest bike manufacturers in the world.

http://www2.merida-bikes.com/en_INT/INT_en
cobba

Postby rambler1au » Wed May 13, 2009 5:15 pm

Does anyone know

If your looking for a spare bike are these bikes worth the effort of going or is it still better to look in the quokka?
What’s with these recumbent bicycles? Listen, buddy, if you wanna take a nap, lie down. If you wanna ride a bike, buy a bicycle
rambler1au

Postby twowheels » Thu May 14, 2009 12:02 am

rambler1au wrote:Does anyone know

If your looking for a spare bike are these bikes worth the effort of going or is it still better to look in the quokka?

I've been. If what you want is in either the Quokka or one of these auctions, tha tis the better choice for you.

See my previous advice this thread. If I'm not repeating myself, research your intended purchase, check size, condition, market price, set your high price & stick to it. Not so pleasurable if your lot is way down the list & you have to wait, sweet as bro if you come in number 3, win well within your limit and wheel your purchase out with a smile on your face as the auction continues!
twowheels

Return to Western Australia