"dead end" cyclepaths

"dead end" cyclepaths

Postby CycleSnail » Mon May 04, 2009 1:21 pm

The West Australian who is doing a story - now – on PSP’s that end abruptly, has just called me.

What are the ten worst spots in Perth?

Hutton Street, PSP in Ashfield ending at the rail crossing, Stubbs Terrace?

Regards,
Heinrich
Visit the Bicycle Transportation Alliance at
http://www.btawa.org.au
CycleSnail

by BNA » Mon May 04, 2009 1:54 pm

BNA

Re: "dead end" cyclepaths

Postby gclark8 » Mon May 04, 2009 1:54 pm

CycleSnail wrote:The West Australian who is doing a story - now – on PSP’s that end abruptly, has just called me.

What are the ten worst spots in Perth?

Hutton Street, PSP in Ashfield ending at the rail crossing, Stubbs Terrace?

Regards,
Heinrich
New one, Bassendean, Collier Road from Iolanthe to Fairford Sts. :roll:

... not forgetting the portion of the Midland-Perth PSP past Bassendean Station.... :roll: :roll:
Last edited by gclark8 on Wed May 06, 2009 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
George.
gclark8

Postby Aushiker » Mon May 04, 2009 2:36 pm

G'day

Thanks for the heads-up Heinrich. I can add one vote for Stubbs Terrace, plus the same PSP ends at Curtin Avenue and then the bike "lane" on Curtin Avenue/Port Beach Road ends at the Tydeman Road lights with no safe way to connect on to the "path" on Tydeman Road which goes no where to get into Fremantle.

There is also the Bayswater path as mentioned plus the Roe Highway path at the Welsphool end. Maybe also the Tonkin Highway path?

Regards
Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby CycleSnail » Mon May 04, 2009 2:47 pm

Thanks for the comments so far.

This has come via email, I add it to the forum so people can comment

Hutton St – Osborne Park – technically not a PSP due to lack of signage and crossing over major roads
City of Perth – Perth – no cycle paths to travel into Perth
Cedric St – Stirling – need to cross over Cedric St with no traffic controlling devices in place (ie no traffic lights)
Karrinyup Rd – Karrinyup – need to cross over Karrinyup lights where one section has no traffic controlling devices
Scarborough Beach PSP – Scarborough (is this a PSP or not)?

Regards,
CycleSnail

Postby Aushiker » Mon May 04, 2009 2:58 pm

CycleSnail wrote:City of Perth – Perth – no cycle paths to travel into Perth

+ 1 particularly with the lack of proper connection to the southern PSP from the northern PSP

Cedric St – Stirling – need to cross over Cedric St with no traffic controlling devices in place (ie no traffic lights)

In peak hour this is a serious issue. It can be quite dangerous crossing Cedric Street.

Karrinyup Rd – Karrinyup – need to cross over Karrinyup lights where one section has no traffic controlling devices

Not sure this is a serious issue ....Putting control lights here would just result in them being ignored I suspect as you can safely cross.

There is signage suggesting it is a shared path.

Regards
Andrew
Aushiker

Postby andyh » Mon May 04, 2009 4:05 pm

Heinrich,

The West would need a double spread to do this subject justice!! Seven examples below off the top of my head.

Parry St - Claremont. Heading south just dumps you onto Stirling Highway. No crossing in sight.
    Gugeri St - Claremont. Heading west, the bike lane completely disappears at roundabout at Leura Ave.
    Victoria Avenue - Dalkeith end . Bike lane just stops at corner opposite Bishop Road.
    Victoria Avenue - Claremont end. Bike lane effictively stops at Claremont Yacht Club. You're meant to use the pavement but that's a joke.
    Riverside Drive - Perth. Dedicated bike crossing from PSP onto Victoria Ave and then, nothing...
(Can I also nominate pretty much the entire of the city of Perth. It's got to be the worst city centre in Australia for cycling facilities.)

Rowe Park, Claremont. Cycle path stops at junction of Melville St.
    Eric Street - Cottesloe. West bound bike path dissapears at roundabout at Railway St junction. Nothing over the railway bridge.

And definately +1 for Stubbs Terrace.

Andy
andyh

Postby thepeddler » Mon May 04, 2009 4:09 pm

Aushiker wrote:plus the same PSP ends at Curtin Avenue and then the bike "lane" on Curtin Avenue/Port Beach Road ends at the Tydeman Road lights with no safe way to connect on to the "path" on Tydeman Road which goes no where to get into Fremantle.

Yes, I wonder who designs these things? I usually go down the side road past the oil tanks and try and cut across Tydeman to the path.
thepeddler

Postby uMP2k » Mon May 04, 2009 5:48 pm

PSP along the Armadale railway line which ends about 100 metres to the North of Roe High in Beckenham. Then no PSPs at all from there into the city - very, very annoying for commuting from the SE corridor.

Stephen
uMP2k

Postby moosterbounce » Mon May 04, 2009 10:38 pm

The list is endless!! Heading north along Warnbro Sound ave in Secret Harbour the other day. No bike lane and worse - some knob decided to put some traffic calming devices in the road near the new sports centre :x Anyway, then there is a bit of a bike path further north, but this stops at the roundabout at Safety Bay Road. There is no place to cross the road on teh southern side so you mosey to the northern side of the roundabout, and manage to follow the path east...for a bit. Then it stops. Dead. The southern side of the road has the bike path that goes all the way up to Warnbro train station.

So then you make a mad dash across the road in duck feet, across a wide medium strip with tall kerbs, and again cross a busy 2 lane road.

You may ask why I didn't cross to the other side of the road sooner? Well the bike path ends just before Bunnings and you then need to negotiate the road (and aforementioned traffic calming devices) near the sports ground.

Now it isn't an area I ride often so may have missed something pretty obvious, but I won't be riding in the area in a hurry with that traffic and those facilities.
moosterbounce

Postby rolandp » Tue May 05, 2009 12:09 am

In providing additional information on the very wise person who sent in the e-mail:
Hutton St – Osborne Park – technically not a PSP due to lack of signage and crossing over major roads
City of Perth – Perth – no cycle paths to travel into Perth

Karrinyup Rd - this is an example of a traffic intersection controlled by traffic lights, where the pedestrian/cyclist lights are not in sync'ed with the road traffic lights. Any pedestrian/cyclist crossing this intersection MUST legally press the button and await the rotation of lights before they can proceed. For little amount of money (ie re-programming of the lights), this could significantly improve the journey of cyclist and pedestrians on the PSP. It should be considered as the PSP end's and you need to wait to proceed. Travel up slightly further North (Hepburn Ave) and the pedestrian/cyclist has right of way via at the exact spot the cyclist/pedestrian has to give way to traffic entering the Freeway.

Scarborough Beach PSP - when travelling South you hit road signs:
where there has not road works for several months. You are forced onto a foot path (ie PSP ends) and travel along a car park. When travelling North, the DPI maps show this area as a PSP, when in fact it has U-Bars which prevent you from entering:

Even when travelling by road, there is a lovely marked cycle lane along West Coast Hway, until you hit Scarborough area where it disappears, forcing you back onto road traffic. Either have the PSP or the cycle lane, but not either in this area.

PS don't you love Google Maps for showing these type of issues?
rolandp

Postby Aushiker » Tue May 05, 2009 12:30 am

rolandp wrote:Scarborough Beach PSP - when travelling South you hit road signs:
where there has not road works for several months.

Where is this? I ride this section daily and don't recall these signs.

When travelling North, the DPI maps show this area as a PSP, when in fact it has U-Bars which prevent you from entering:

The shared path turns west just before these bars. The footpath continues north beyond the bars. There is no issue with shared path at this point at least.

Even when travelling by road, there is a lovely marked cycle lane along West Coast Hway, until you hit Scarborough area where it disappears, forcing you back onto road traffic. Either have the PSP or the cycle lane, but not either in this area.

Where are you referring to and which direction of travel? The bike lane (northbound) on West Coast Drive actually ends near City Beach. There is no bike lane that I can recall from City Beach to Karrinyup Road, other than head-start boxes at some lights. I turn off West Coast Highway after Scarborough so maybe I am missing something north of Scarborough.

Regards
Andrew
Aushiker

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue May 05, 2009 1:20 am

Did I miss the East Perth pedestrian bridge? Is it still "cyclists must dismount" to cross? Last time I was there I tried riding around the cove, but it wasn't that great.
<removed by request>
casual_cyclist

Postby nickobec » Tue May 05, 2009 1:22 am

+1 for the City of Perth, there is no cycle friendly way into and around the CBD.

+1 for no connection of the northern PSP to the southern PSP

As my most of my riding is on the SoR freeway PSP, I have it good compared to my NoR brethern. I find the Cranford Ave crossing a pain, because it is difficult to see both directions of traffic, I have to stop, look both directions, before attempting to cross even with no traffic. (An underpass would make it perfect run into the city).

My current pet hate, even though I rarely ride the road is Betram road/ Mortimer Road between Challenger Ave and the Freeway. Heading towards the freeway from Kwinana, you get a decent shoulder to ride along Wellard Road, when it turns into Bertram Road you get a PSP (coming from the freeway you have to cross a busy road to use the PSP and the back again a couple of kms later, but it is necessary as the road is narrow with no shoulder and an 80 zone. Then you get to Challenger Ave and this mystery PSP that leads into Bertram (the suburb) connects to a quieter street that runs parallel to Bertram Road, then disappears. So the only option is Bertram road which is narrow with no shoulder, an 80 zone and heavy traffic.
nickobec

Postby CycleSnail » Tue May 05, 2009 9:56 am

This is great, we will probably use the Hutton Street disconnect for the photo-op, around 1100

Regards, and thanks for the many pointers to situations that should be improved.
Cant wait to see the PBN-review which has been in the making for about two years.

Regards,
Heinrich
CycleSnail

Postby wintal » Tue May 05, 2009 10:59 am

I'll add my voice to the lack in the City... I work in West Perth, and can't think of a good way to ride into the city.

One that hasn't been mentioned yet is the bike path going up Thomas Rd/Loftus St, It just dissappears at Carr St. I think according to the maps you're supposed to turn right, but that just ends up with you in no mans land :P

Cheers,
Leighton...
wintal

Postby moosterbounce » Tue May 05, 2009 11:55 am

wintal wrote:I'll add my voice to the lack in the City... I work in West Perth, and can't think of a good way to ride into the city.

I know a good way as I saw an "accident waiting to happen" do it yesterday - just ride down Hay Street to the city. OK, it is going the wrong way down a one way street and you will need to dodge the odd car and bus, but this tosser managed it :x

And we wonder why cyclists get a bad reputation :?
moosterbounce

Postby pickle » Tue May 05, 2009 1:21 pm

+1 for the connection between the north and south freeway bike paths near perth. Its horrible. I normally end up taking the coast way just to avoid that section.

Also +1 for city of perth. It is difficult to get anywhere around perth, even riverside dr as that gets heavy pedestrian use. As far as I know, the bridge in east perth is still dismount. I just ride around the cove now. I've had a few people let me know of their opinions about me riding here, to which I politely inform them to talk to their council :) Also had a run in once with a wedding photographer standing on that really steep blind corner when heading south and just about to join up the bridge again. He was standing smack bang in the middle of the cycle path (not even taking any photos), I yelled 'bike' and told to 'Sloppy Kiss%king get off the path, I shouldn't be on it'
ugh
so definitely +1 for city of perth :)
Data not found... brain not found more like it
pickle

Postby cavebear2 » Tue May 05, 2009 9:40 pm

Railway Parade to Collier Rd Bassendean (next to the Tonkin H'wy) a classic deadender.
cavebear2

Postby BandedRail » Tue May 05, 2009 9:45 pm

+1 for the Perth CBD, I always end up "geographically challenged" when trying to follow the paths or I just give up & walk.

Could someone post here when the story is published please? I don't buy the paper often.

Cheers
BandedRail

Postby steellife » Tue May 05, 2009 9:49 pm

I have to add the Roe Hwy, Kwinana Fwy intersection - or lack of it.
Travelling north along Kwinana Fwy path to access the Roe Hwy path one needs to ride past the Roe Hwy, cross Kwinana Fwy via the bridge, return south along the east side of Kwinana Fwy and then join the Roe Hwy cycle path. I've only done it once, to my disgust it cost me at least 1.5km and demonstrates appalling planning / execution.
on my daily commute I now by-pass this through Jandakot on - you guessed it - the road :x
steellife

Postby rolandp » Wed May 06, 2009 12:17 am

Andrew, in regards to the Scarborough area, the footpath closed sign is when you are travelling South, the PSP turns away from West Coast Hway, down towards Scarborough Beach. The signs are located next to the car park which is on your left. They are marked on Google Maps as 'Dual-Use Path, Scarborough'. I rode through this area this evening are they are still there. I was incorrect about the bike lanes, they are head-start boxes, the bike lane doesn't start until Warwick Road (which may be a co-incidence, but Warwick Road is the boundary of Stirling and Joondalup).

Hopefully the photo shoot at Hutton St went down well and look forward to the article.

CycleSnail, will the BPN-review be made public and can you please post a copy here?
rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed May 06, 2009 8:03 am

Ken Travers, Shadow Minister for Transport will be happy as he made a Media Statement after the Bike Week which included support for upgrading this section.

Don't suppose the photoshoot including Princeton Estate (2 seconds North of Hutton St), as the area is again full of leaves. Reported to MainRoads around 1st April for clearing but request is being bounced between City of Stirling and MainRoads whilst they work out who is responible for the new path.
rolandp

Postby Aushiker » Wed May 06, 2009 11:20 am

rolandp wrote:Andrew, in regards to the Scarborough area, the footpath closed sign is when you are travelling South, the PSP turns away from West Coast Hway, down towards Scarborough Beach. The signs are located next to the car park which is on your left. They are marked on Google Maps as 'Dual-Use Path, Scarborough'. I rode through this area this evening are they are still there. I was incorrect about the bike lanes, they are head-start boxes, the bike lane doesn't start until Warwick Road (which may be a co-incidence, but Warwick Road is the boundary of Stirling and Joondalup).

Hi Roland

I found the sign you where referring to last night as well. I ride past that sign four days a week and hadn't noticed it since the barriers where removed. I am not as observant as I thought :oops: My apologies for getting it wrong.

Regards
Andrew
Aushiker

Postby rolandp » Wed May 06, 2009 2:04 pm

Andrew, I got the cycle path wrong so no need to appologise. It is disappointing that the diversion sign remains and is an other example of a dual-use path that stops though everyone continues to use it and ignores the diversion sign.

Anyone see the article? Couldn't find it in today's paper.
rolandp

Postby CycleSnail » Wed May 06, 2009 9:12 pm

Interesting to compare the gaps and problems identified above with the usage figures that the DPI now makes available onlinge here http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/cycling/19932.asp

The PBN review recommendations and actions are with the Minister for Transport, Simon O'Brien

Regards,
Heinrich
CycleSnail

Next

Return to Western Australia