UAF 300

casual_cyclist

UAF 300

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:25 pm

Anyone else doing the UAF 300 on Saturday? I have now signed up after a trial run of 230km in 2 days over the weekend. Seems like I have my bike issues sorted, so I am happy in terms of bike and fitness.

The only thing I am really thinking about (besides headwinds!) is that the forecast is for 4 degrees :shock: I am wondering how quickly it will get cold after dark. Given we will be riding until about 11pm, I wonder how cold it will get, how much warm gear I need and how I am going to carry it. I don't usually take a pack on these rides but am considering a small pack this time. I don't want to take anything too heavy, but also don't want to get too cold either.
<removed by request>

Aushiker

Re: UAF 300

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:31 pm

G'day

All the best with the ride Greg. Well done on giving it a go.

For the evening I would suggest a vest and maybe arm warmers should do the trick. You will be surprised how well a vest goes at keeping your core body warmth. A jersey with pockets is also useful.

Andrew

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:47 pm

Aushiker wrote:G'day

All the best with the ride Greg. Well done on giving it a go.

For the evening I would suggest a vest and maybe arm warmers should do the trick. You will be surprised how well a vest goes at keeping your core body warmth. A jersey with pockets is also useful.

Andrew
Thanks Andrew. The keys will be nutrition and hydration which I played around with on the weekend and am pretty happy with how it went. I am leaning towards a vest so will go and have a look at them on Thursday night. Not sure where I will look. I would also like to pick up a better front light which is a bit of a nuisance because I have left it too late to go the online option.

Cheers

Greg
<removed by request>

cavebear2

Postby cavebear2 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:16 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:Anyone else doing the UAF 300 on Saturday
Hi Greg, I'll be keeping you company on this one. :D
The only thing I am really thinking about (besides headwinds!) is that the forecast is for 4 degrees :shock: I am wondering how quickly it will get cold after dark. Given we will be riding until about 11pm, I wonder how cold it will get, how much warm gear I need and how I am going to carry it. I don't usually take a pack on these rides but am considering a small pack this time. I don't want to take anything too heavy, but also don't want to get too cold either.
Definitely take a small pack to put snacks and spare clothing in. When it's below 5 degrees I find that nothing beats a windproof jacket with full length arms. Under this I would have s/s Jersey, a base layer thermal top and arm warmers. When things warm up to say, 10 degrees I would just remove the jacket, then at 18 degrees I might remove the arm warmers or might just pull them down to my wrists. As for legs, I wear a base layer thermal under my knicks with leg warmers over the top when it is really cold, then remove the leg warmers at a stop later on. In addition, when it's below 5 degrees, full finger gloves make the riding less agonising!

Cheers

Perry

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:27 pm

cavebear2 wrote:When it's below 5 degrees I find that nothing beats a windproof jacket with full length arms. Under this I would have s/s Jersey, a base layer thermal top and arm warmers. When things warm up to say, 10 degrees I would just remove the jacket, then at 18 degrees I might remove the arm warmers or might just pull them down to my wrists. As for legs, I wear a base layer thermal under my knicks with leg warmers over the top when it is really cold, then remove the leg warmers at a stop later on. In addition, when it's below 5 degrees, full finger gloves make the riding less agonising!
But you are skinny ... this might be a bit of overkill for us eh bigger blokes; well not the gloves :)

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:28 pm

and the other point is it will not get to 4 C until well after the ride is finished, no?

Andrew

cavebear2

Postby cavebear2 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:44 pm

Aushiker wrote:and the other point is it will not get to 4 C until well after the ride is finished, no?
If the forecast for Saturday holds up then it could quite probably be near the minimum forecast of 4 deg. at the start of the ride at 7:00AM. (It reached a minimum of 3.3 a couple of weeks ago just after 7:00AM on my regular ride to PIHC) At the other end of the ride I guess we might be looking at around 10 deg with the Sunday morning minimum forecast of 5 degrees. As for the full arm wind proof jacket thing - on the CTA 300km ride last year, I think everyone who didn't have one was shivering, but then I think it was somewhere near 0 degrees along the Brand Highway towards Gingin, with mist covering the road in places. That, togethor with a bit of an easterly probably put the apparent temp. in the sub zero area. (need more emoticons eg. shiver! :) - we started from Midland at 5:00AM :shock: )

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:31 pm

Aushiker wrote:and the other point is it will not get to 4 C until well after the ride is finished, no?
I was wondering about that too. I guess it will be cold in the morning as I will be riding from 6:15 AM :shock: I will put on my base layers, gloves and beanie and see if that is enough in the morning. For the night, I am hoping it will not get too cold before 11pm. As you have kindly pointed out, I am err... bigger :oops: and tend to be on the warm side anyway, so I think I will see if a vest will do this time (along with all the other warms I already have).
<removed by request>

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:36 pm

cavebear2 wrote:Definitely take a small pack to put snacks and spare clothing in. ... In addition, when it's below 5 degrees, full finger gloves make the riding less agonising!
My hydration pack doesn't have enough extra room for this trip, so I was thinking I would just take the bladder out and put it in my small backpack. That way I will have enough room for food (I just finalised my menu today :D), snacks and clothes. I have used that pack before on long rides and found it very comfortable. I just found I didn't need it after I got my hydration pack. I have nice warm (full finger) gloves sorted. I have only had to use them once but they are looking essential for this trip.
<removed by request>

cavebear2

Postby cavebear2 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:49 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:My hydration pack doesn't have enough extra room for this trip, so I was thinking I would just take the bladder out and put it in my small backpack. That way I will have enough room for food (I just finalised my menu today :D), snacks and clothes. I have used that pack before on long rides and found it very comfortable. I just found I didn't need it after I got my hydration pack.
I've been through exactly the same thought processes. I find that I generally don't need the hydration pack during winter, just get by with 2 bottles (or sometimes 3 on legs of greater than 75kms) I might use my hydration pack without the bladder for this ride as it's the most comfy option if a pack really is essential.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:06 pm

cavebear2 wrote:
casual_cyclist wrote:My hydration pack doesn't have enough extra room for this trip, so I was thinking I would just take the bladder out and put it in my small backpack. That way I will have enough room for food (I just finalised my menu today :D), snacks and clothes. I have used that pack before on long rides and found it very comfortable. I just found I didn't need it after I got my hydration pack.
I've been through exactly the same thought processes. I find that I generally don't need the hydration pack during winter, just get by with 2 bottles (or sometimes 3 on legs of greater than 75kms) I might use my hydration pack without the bladder for this ride as it's the most comfy option if a pack really is essential.
I have been messing around with hydration and nutrition for the 200km and then over the weekend for 125km on Saturday and 105km on Sunday. I drink a fair bit and find the hydration pack convenient. I usually make up an iso drink in my bottle which lasts for about 100km. My pack usually lasts about 200km. Over the weekend (for 230km) I used 2L + 2 bottles, which is a bit less than the 200km ride. It depends what I eat too. If I have a gel, then I need a fair bit of water to dilute it. A pack will be essential for me because I like to eat :D
<removed by request>

cavebear2

Postby cavebear2 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:14 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:A pack will be essential for me because I like to eat
+1 and a pack could save you a lot of money in food on a 300km ride! :idea: mental note to myself: pre make sandwiches and stuff pack full of food. :lol:

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:22 pm

cavebear2 wrote:
casual_cyclist wrote:A pack will be essential for me because I like to eat
+1 and a pack could save you a lot of money in food on a 300km ride! :idea: mental note to myself: pre make sandwiches and stuff pack full of food. :lol:
Also you can get what you want. For example, not sure what will be open at Pinjarra at 7:00pm except for chooks and the pizza shop. I don't fancy greasy chips or a pizza with a couple of hours left to ride knowing my track record with greasy food (it doesn't agree with me). I better get cooking because I am bringing out the big guns for this ride (sangas, rice patties and home made muffins). All this talk about food is making me hungry.
<removed by request>

notaero

Postby notaero » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:47 am

I find one of my snug fitting older football jerseys is really good to wear over a cycle top on a night ride. I'm not sure how it will go on this one but just a suggestion to try if you have one laying around.