Rate Perth 'hills'

rider_1

Re: Rate Perth 'hills'

Postby rider_1 » Thu May 26, 2011 5:23 pm

schmidty wrote:On my days off work I head up brookton highway from albany highway and turn right into croyen road, roleystone. I then turn right again into heritage drive and ride up to Araluen, max grade is around 16 to 17 percent and the scenery is great. I will usually roll back down and then complete the loop by riding across the top of the hills via brookton hwy and canning road, descending either via welshpool road, kalamunda road or the zig-zag.

mapmyride.com has an option to view the elevation profile of a route you map out, I use it to plan my rides all the time. Although I sometime end up swearing at myself a lot for planning a ride that may have been a bit too ambitious.
sounds interesting to try ...do you have the route ?
Visit My website
Looking for a road bike riding partners around Gosnells,WA

Double-Gee

Postby Double-Gee » Thu May 26, 2011 11:26 pm

rider_1 wrote:
schmidty wrote:On my days off work I head up brookton highway from albany highway and turn right into croyen road, roleystone. I then turn right again into heritage drive and ride up to Araluen, max grade is around 16 to 17 percent and the scenery is great. I will usually roll back down and then complete the loop by riding across the top of the hills via brookton hwy and canning road, descending either via welshpool road, kalamunda road or the zig-zag.

mapmyride.com has an option to view the elevation profile of a route you map out, I use it to plan my rides all the time. Although I sometime end up swearing at myself a lot for planning a ride that may have been a bit too ambitious.
sounds interesting to try ...do you have the route ?
1) Go to mapmyride.com
2) Enter roads mentioned above
3) Save route

As I live not too far away, I thought it would be a good one to look at - once I have found my climbing legs. I do Brookton H'way every now and then, and have tackled Mills Rd East a few time, but am yet to conquer it with a breather. Croyden Rd on to Gardiner Rd is a nice climb, but I found that it is not nice when riding too soon after breakfast - won't do that again!

I've mapped from Kelmscott Station to Araluen, and then back out, across to Lesmurdie, down Welshpool Rd and return to Kelmscott. The options are endless, but road quality does vary in the hills. Enjoy :)
http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/35460256
Road - '09 Cervelo S1 | '07 Vivente Lugano | Late 90's Giant Kronos, Dirt - '08 Orbea Sherpa

rider_1

Postby rider_1 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:50 pm

I think Mills Road East and Canning Mills Road is good for climbing train...
Make a loop to turner road, sounds challenging
http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/36598074
Visit My website

randyrob

Postby randyrob » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:00 pm

Hey rider_1 or bianchi77 (as your known on Mapmyride)

We can't see your link unless we are your friend, are you able to make it publically viewable?

Cheers Rob.
Go fast and stop hard, it'll never catch on!

cavebear2

Postby cavebear2 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:36 pm

rider_1 wrote:I think Mills Road East and Canning Mills Road is good for climbing train...
I did Mills Rd East the weekend before last in 12m 5s. Not blinding I know but I'm an old fart and it was a PB. Followed that up with Canning Mills Rd then Paterson Rd. Other hills featured on the ride were Peet Rd, Soldiers Rd/Churchman Brook Rd, Croyden Rd/Gardiner Rd. This was the CTA 10,000 in 8 achievment ride which is much kinder than the Audax version which has 30% more climbing, finishing with Canning Mills Rd - Mills Rd East - Canning Mills Rd - Mills Rd East before the relief of a final descent down Canning Mills Rd.

randyrob

Postby randyrob » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:44 am

12m 5s for Mills Rd East is pretty amazing given the KOM on Strata is 12 m 13 s

We went out their the other day and did 4 repeats Canning Mills Rd / Mills Rd East ==> http://app.strava.com/rides/594605

Over 2000m of elevation for a 68km cycle, that's a pretty good hills/distance ratio bang for buck as far as i'm concerned.
Go fast and stop hard, it'll never catch on!

cavebear2

Postby cavebear2 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:44 pm

randyrob wrote:We went out their the other day and did 4 repeats Canning Mills Rd / Mills Rd East ==> http://app.strava.com/rides/594605
Over 2000m of elevation for a 68km cycle, that's a pretty good hills/distance ratio bang for buck as far as i'm concerned.
Great little training ride that! You've done the final section of the Audax 10,000 in 8 twice, I might have a go at that. :)

flyingporkpies

Postby flyingporkpies » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:49 am

An older discussion on some of the hill ratings can be seen here viewtopic.php?f=18&t=21352#p301214
Since then I have discovered an alternative climb up 'the hill'. Along Watsonia between Kalamunda Rd and Gooseberry hill road is Sherborne Rd. Turn up there and just keep going up. You'll end up on Zamia and Lenori and will be rewarded at the patisserie if you remembered to pack cash. I call it Hill 46, because the summit before the shops is at number 46 Lenori. See here: http://www.hillclimbr.com/sites/climbr/ ... enDocument

rider_1

Postby rider_1 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:49 pm

rider_1 wrote:I think Mills Road East and Canning Mills Road is good for climbing train...
I make it public,
Can you see it ?
anyone doing this loop weekly ? every sunday ?
live nearby ?

maybe I can join you...
Visit My website

rider_1

Postby rider_1 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:06 pm

Today I was riding, from cornell road (from canning mills road downhill, turn right at clifton road) then tried to pass turner road but, I can not access it, it was said "Private Access",
have any of you guys had the same experience just recently ?
is it Possible to access or not ?
Visit My website

ParkertR

Postby ParkertR » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:46 pm

crazycanuck wrote:Weeeeeeee :D Wahooooeyyy for compact doubles :D

I did a short ride from Kal-Mundaring this morning & had tons of fun! I changed from a double to a compact double about a month ago & this was the ride that would show if it was the right thing to do. Yepppers!!! I Weeeeeeee

I would loved to have done the ride twice but didn't have enough time. Next week perhaps :D
Tell me about it! Changing your choice of gears makes a huge difference. I don't have the legs for a 53/39 11-23 setup to go uphill... so I have a climbing bike with a 50/36 11-28 and its so much easier... get up faster and without getting tired out.

ParkertR

Postby ParkertR » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:48 pm

About the hills... anyone done the short but steep Alderslyde - Hummerston route? I do it on a regular basis... I remember almost having to stop twice the first time i went up that hill. Had the wrong gears and soft legs to boot. hahaha

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:44 pm

ParkertR wrote:About the hills... anyone done the short but steep Alderslyde - Hummerston route? I do it on a regular basis... I remember almost having to stop twice the first time i went up that hill. Had the wrong gears and soft legs to boot. hahaha
Yep, thats the end of the Redbull Challenge.

Depends on how much climbing you have inflicted on your legs prior to getting there. The observatory loop is nice.
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:47 pm

ParkertR wrote:About the hills... anyone done the short but steep Alderslyde - Hummerston route? I do it on a regular basis... I remember almost having to stop twice the first time i went up that hill. Had the wrong gears and soft legs to boot. hahaha
Have done Aldersyde but will give Hummerston a go. Also try Walnut Rd east to Patterson, reasonably steep and quite long for the hills.

ParkertR

Postby ParkertR » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:24 pm

@Red Rider - Hummerston is short but pretty steep. I've done Walnut and Patterson. Havent tried Crystal Brook up though.. lol

roller

Postby roller » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:42 pm

love the walnut (and patterson), that's our group's favourite climb.
inflammatory statement or idea

paulz

Postby paulz » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:41 pm

Try Lenori Road in Gooseberry Hill or Gooseberry Hill Road both are tough climbs .

rider_1

Postby rider_1 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:44 am

Redbull wrote:
Yep, thats the end of the Redbull Challenge.

Depends on how much climbing you have inflicted on your legs prior to getting there. The observatory loop is nice.
is it piesse brook ? finish just before round about of kalamunda ?
Visit My website

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:11 am

Try Morrisson Road,Swan view road and old York roads up to Great Eastern Hwy.

ParkertR

Postby ParkertR » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:34 pm

Morrison Road is a nice long down and up :P

rider_1

Postby rider_1 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:36 pm

ParkertR wrote:Morrison Road is a nice long down and up :P
sounds good, whereabout ?
I think I passed it last time when I rode to campersic..
Visit My website

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:05 pm

If you have strava hit the explore button go to Morrisson road you will find it soon enough. The climb starts way back from the segments, I found it harder than Gooseberry especially into a stiff headwind.

MM

as7431

Postby as7431 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:54 pm

All

Some of these hills appear (on "paper") look terrifing. I am looking for a bit of a different hill - something that is not more than 5% (perhaps 7% for small stretches, but mostl;y 3-5%) to progress my very poor climbing ability. Perhaps 3-4km long. I occasionally do Reabold hill (ave 7% over 700m from the bollards or ~6%/1km from the very bottom), but it chews me up and spits me out as I am just the wrong side of 100kg. So looking for a longer, less severe hill to build up strength. I realise that I could do repeats of somewhere like Kings Park (or even Reabold), but the rest going back down seems like cheating.

Any suggestions

Thanks!
Tim

jlh

Postby jlh » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:47 pm

Hi Tim,

Suggest you do a segment explore on Strava... first one I found was mundaring weir rd which looks like it fits your criteria.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:15 pm

as7431 wrote:All

Some of these hills appear (on "paper") look terrifing. I am looking for a bit of a different hill - something that is not more than 5% (perhaps 7% for small stretches, but mostl;y 3-5%) to progress my very poor climbing ability. Perhaps 3-4km long. I occasionally do Reabold hill (ave 7% over 700m from the bollards or ~6%/1km from the very bottom), but it chews me up and spits me out as I am just the wrong side of 100kg. So looking for a longer, less severe hill to build up strength. I realise that I could do repeats of somewhere like Kings Park (or even Reabold), but the rest going back down seems like cheating.

Any suggestions

Thanks!
Tim
Your best bet is probably Welshpool Road although it's a fair hike from Reabold hill. Not sure if this link will work: http://www.hillclimbr.com/sites/climbr/ ... enDocument but basically, someone has completed it in 7:25, so it can't be that hard can it? :wink:

What area are you in?
<removed by request>