Rate Perth 'hills'

casual_cyclist

Rate Perth 'hills'

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:53 pm

I tackled my first 'hill' on the weekend as part of my 12 week exercise challenge, which has a goal of improving my hill fitness. It was easy. Description below:

Road name: Albany Highway
Start: Corner of Albany Hwy and South Western Hwy
End: Corner of Waterwheel Rd and Canns Rd
Distance: 4.8 km (according to mapmyride)
Ascent: 154m (according to mapmyride)
Rating: easy

Description: long gentle up with a flatter spot in the middle. The only kicker is Waterwheel Rd which is much steeper for about 200m.

I had no trouble at all riding up this hill in 40/26, I even dropped to 40/23 for part of it.

How would you rate any Perth 'hills' that you have climbed?
<removed by request>

Aushiker

Re: Rate Perth 'hills'

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:59 pm

G'day

There is a hill climbing website where you can record your times and compare same against others. I can't find the URL but I am sure some one will know it.

Andrew

Chaderotti

Postby Chaderotti » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:42 pm

Anyone know that small (about 100 or 200 metre long) hill around Bedford? Across the road from Chisholm college? I rolled up to it at about 30 km/h and gave it all I got, half way up I dropped down to about 26 km/h, by the top I was at about 20.
Princess
Mistress = Pinarello Opera, Ultegra SL
Mistress #2 = Drag Bluebird

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:56 pm

Aushiker wrote:G'day
There is a hill climbing website where you can record your times and compare same against others. I can't find the URL but I am sure some one will know it.
Andrew
http://www.hillclimbr.com I don't mind it but not being updated very much anymore. Also, there seem to be quite a few hills missing (Mt Street for one). There is not much text about the climbs. According to hillclimbr the climb with the highest ascent is Brookton Hwy from Stoney Brook Bridge to Chevin Road (AT) 276 metres over 6.4 km. No wonder it was so much fun riding down :D
<removed by request>

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:26 pm

If I can climb it, the hill doesn't rate ...

;)

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

crazycanuck

Postby crazycanuck » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:44 pm

I just ride uphill. I don't care about the grade etc & how they rate. I just want to get to the top. If it turns out to be a crappy ride, i give the hill the finger and return for another pain session.

I just got meself a compact double and love hills even more!! :D I'm testing a nice set of hills tomorrow :D

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:34 pm

I rode the trike up Mount Street on a couple of occasions in the early '90s (PM - pre-motor). I couldn't do it on a bike, I kept falling over because I traveled too slowly.

(I don't think I could do it now even WITH the motor.)

My commonest hill climb is Welshpool Road, which I reckon as starting at the second bus stop past the intersection with Lewis Road, turning up Gladys Road and finishing the far side of Mazenod College where the road flattens out. (Willoughby St Intersection)

Distance? About 3.5 km.

Rating? A real bastard. (But then I'm a fat, 60 year old with clapped out ankles and knees.)

Joe
To acquire immunity to eloquence is of the utmost importance to the citizens of a democracy
Bertrand Russell

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:43 pm

Gooseberry Hill Road

It can make grown men cry.
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass

pickle

Postby pickle » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:25 pm

Anyone know the gradient of mount street?
Data not found... brain not found more like it

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:50 pm

pickle wrote:Anyone know the gradient of mount street?
Using Google Earth Maps I've estimated that Mount Street has a height bottom to top of roughly 42 metres over a horizontal distance of roughly 250 metres, roughly 1:6. But that's VERY rough.

Joe
To acquire immunity to eloquence is of the utmost importance to the citizens of a democracy
Bertrand Russell

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:44 pm

Redbull wrote:Gooseberry Hill Road

It can make grown men cry.
+1

I have only tried it once in the last 30 years and could not manage it on 39x23. Did it much better as a 14 year old on a 3 speed strumey archer Raleigh Chopper when I used to live at the top and ride to Midland and back. Still had to walk one bit.

SHANE SHAW

Postby SHANE SHAW » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:45 pm

Chaderotti wrote:Anyone know that small (about 100 or 200 metre long) hill around Bedford? Across the road from Chisholm college? I rolled up to it at about 30 km/h and gave it all I got, half way up I dropped down to about 26 km/h, by the top I was at about 20.
Yep I know that hill it was fairly easy in the Toyota van going up sitting on 70km/h :lol:

No honestly i haven't ridden up it yet but it looks hard

mikedufty

Postby mikedufty » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:05 am

I used to ride up Crystal Brook Road on my 10 speed Raleigh phantom to get to school swimming lessons at Kalamunda Pool. About the same climb as Welshpool Road in half the distance. One time my freewheel exploded and sent ball bearings all over the road.

For really steep climbs you need to get off the bitumen. Essentially the same hill a bit further south from Hardinge road behind Bickley reservoir up to Horace Road is really seriously steep. Couldn't come close to riding it on the Raleigh even downhill, but later with a mountain bike I was able to make it just to the start of the steep bit, and even worked up to riding all the way down.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-32.0 ... rs=B000FTF

Going up the ridge track on the south side of Hardinge road is not so steep but a nice long climb, about 200m vertical. Mostly quite good gravel but a couple of spots where a roadbike would have trouble.

roysm

Postby roysm » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:41 am

Anyone tried Paterson rd ?, back of Kelmscott, Now thats tough, especially after riding 90ks up and down the scarp and then you run in to that. You got to see it to believe it.

Roy.

roller

Postby roller » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:19 am

Chaderotti wrote:Anyone know that small (about 100 or 200 metre long) hill around Bedford? Across the road from Chisholm college? I rolled up to it at about 30 km/h and gave it all I got, half way up I dropped down to about 26 km/h, by the top I was at about 20.
i live right near there and have no idea which hill you mean, which street?
inflammatory statement or idea

ajh_ausnzcf

Postby ajh_ausnzcf » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:41 am

pickle wrote:Anyone know the gradient of mount street?
The Garmin 705 rates it at maximum 14% (close to the middle section of the street length) when I rode it.
Axles A Randonee O Noodle.

"Doc, just tell me straight ... am I going to die?"

craigg

Postby craigg » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:43 pm

Tandem wrote:About 2 years ago I used to ride Mount Street quite often.The best I did was 7 times up and down, then had a break of 15 min and to finish off with another 4 times up and down.
I did it 13 times about a month ago in 39/26 and could have done more but got bored. However I 'cheated' with a cadence of about 50 and speed of 9.5km/h. Fastest I've done is 16 km/h but I can only do that once without a break.

craigg

Postby craigg » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:56 pm

Has anyone done the Haddrill Rd / Campersic loop in Baskerville? I drove it Sunday to scout it out and it looks like some quality pain.

Craig

cavebear2

Postby cavebear2 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:04 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:http://www.hillclimbr.com I don't mind it but not being updated very much anymore. Also, there seem to be quite a few hills missing (Mt Street for one). There is not much text about the climbs. According to hillclimbr the climb with the highest ascent is Brookton Hwy from Stoney Brook Bridge to Chevin Road (AT) 276 metres over 6.4 km. No wonder it was so much fun riding down
Hi Greg,

You can add your own climbs to hillclimbr.com.

For a nice hill climbing challenge try the Audax 10000 in 8. Not yet scheduled in the calendar for 2009 but normally held in October or November. The actual elevation gained is more like 3,000 metres, with the real kicker being the final 30kms which includes back to back, 2 ascents of Canning Mills Rd and 2 ascents of Mills Rd East for a total elevation gain of about 1100 metres. Of course there's always the 4 high speed descents to compensate!
Last edited by cavebear2 on Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.

cavebear2

Postby cavebear2 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:08 pm

craigg wrote:Has anyone done the Haddrill Rd / Campersic loop in Baskerville? I drove it Sunday to scout it out and it looks like some quality pain.
Hi Craig,

Yes I have, nice bit of climbing there. :D

Regards

Perry

cavebear2

Postby cavebear2 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:44 pm

ajh_ausnzcf wrote:The Garmin 705 rates it at maximum 14% (close to the middle section of the street length) when I rode it.
It always seems harder because of the standing start and straight into a 10%+ gradient. I did this a couple of years ago 4 times in rapid succession with an avg speed of about 13 kmh. Needless to say, I was gasping wildly at the end....strangely, I haven't been tempted to have another go... perhaps when my leg has fully recovered. :wink:

craigg

Postby craigg » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:29 pm

cavebear2 wrote:
casual_cyclist wrote: For a nice hill climbing challenge try the Audax 10000 in 8. Not yet scheduled in the calendar for 2009 but normally held in October or November. The actual elevation gained is more like 3,000 metres, with the real kicker being the final 30kms which includes back to back, 2 ascents of Canning Mills Rd and 2 ascents of Mills Rd East for a total elevation gain of about 1100 metres. Of course there's always the 4 high speed descents to compensate!
CTAWA (http://www.ctawa.asn.au/rides/) are organising this or a similar ride for this Sunday 7 June:-

Sunday 7th June - 10,000 in 8 Achievement Ride 1
110km hard, 9am for a 9:30am sharp start. Meet at the Kelmscott Railway Station for registration and map/ride description. This is the club’s hilliest ride requiring you to climb up and down 10,000 feet of hills within 8 hours. Required for both the Super Achiever and Challenge Series. Note there is a $10 fee for non-members.

Organiser: Colin 9418 1571

Craig

cavebear2

Postby cavebear2 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:36 pm

cavebear2 wrote:
casual_cyclist wrote: For a nice hill climbing challenge try the Audax 10000 in 8. Not yet scheduled in the calendar for 2009 but normally held in October or November. The actual elevation gained is more like 3,000 metres, with the real kicker being the final 30kms which includes back to back, 2 ascents of Canning Mills Rd and 2 ascents of Mills Rd East for a total elevation gain of about 1100 metres. Of course there's always the 4 high speed descents to compensate!
Don't want to be too pedantic but I wrote this. :roll:
CTAWA (http://www.ctawa.asn.au/rides/) are organising this or a similar ride for this Sunday 7 June:-

Sunday 7th June - 10,000 in 8 Achievement Ride 1
110km hard, 9am for a 9:30am sharp start. Meet at the Kelmscott Railway Station for registration and map/ride description. This is the club’s hilliest ride requiring you to climb up and down 10,000 feet of hills within 8 hours. Required for both the Super Achiever and Challenge Series. Note there is a $10 fee for non-members.
Please note that there is a qualification for taking part in this event and you would have to satisfy the organiser before he would allow you to take part. Also, the course is far less severe than the Audax version.

Regards

Perry

crazycanuck

Postby crazycanuck » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:44 pm

Weeeeeeee :D Wahooooeyyy for compact doubles :D

I did a short ride from Kal-Mundaring this morning & had tons of fun! I changed from a double to a compact double about a month ago & this was the ride that would show if it was the right thing to do. Yepppers!!! I Weeeeeeee

I would loved to have done the ride twice but didn't have enough time. Next week perhaps :D