Rate Perth 'hills'

ratix

Re: Rate Perth 'hills'

Postby ratix » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:30 pm

Can anyone advise which of these routes are somewhat 'safe' I.e minimal traffic, reasonable speed limit

Rex

Postby Rex » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:07 pm

as7431 wrote:All

Some of these hills appear (on "paper") look terrifing. I am looking for a bit of a different hill - something that is not more than 5% (perhaps 7% for small stretches, but mostl;y 3-5%) to progress my very poor climbing ability. Perhaps 3-4km long. I occasionally do Reabold hill (ave 7% over 700m from the bollards or ~6%/1km from the very bottom), but it chews me up and spits me out as I am just the wrong side of 100kg. So looking for a longer, less severe hill to build up strength. I realise that I could do repeats of somewhere like Kings Park (or even Reabold), but the rest going back down seems like cheating.

Any suggestions

Thanks!
Tim
Tim I would suggest Albany Hwy from Armadale up to Canning Dam turnoff. It's long at about 12km but its only about 4% and not too challenging.
The rolling hills from Albany Hwy across to Brookton Hwy is well worth the ride on it's own.

Welshpool Rd is very difficult imo, and I feel far less safe than Albany Hwy.

as7431

Postby as7431 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:38 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:
as7431 wrote:All

Some of these hills appear (on "paper") look terrifing. I am looking for a bit of a different hill - something that is not more than 5% (perhaps 7% for small stretches, but mostl;y 3-5%) to progress my very poor climbing ability. Perhaps 3-4km long. I occasionally do Reabold hill (ave 7% over 700m from the bollards or ~6%/1km from the very bottom), but it chews me up and spits me out as I am just the wrong side of 100kg. So looking for a longer, less severe hill to build up strength. I realise that I could do repeats of somewhere like Kings Park (or even Reabold), but the rest going back down seems like cheating.

Any suggestions

Thanks!
Tim
Your best bet is probably Welshpool Road although it's a fair hike from Reabold hill. Not sure if this link will work: http://www.hillclimbr.com/sites/climbr/ ... enDocument but basically, someone has completed it in 7:25, so it can't be that hard can it? :wink:

What area are you in?
Welshpool rd sounds a bit optimistic for now (ave 6%) – perhaps later. I am in the north western suburbs, near the western end of Reid Hwy. Considering a drive to closer to the hills

Thanks

Tim

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:48 pm

as7431 wrote: Welshpool rd sounds a bit optimistic for now (ave 6%) – perhaps later. I am in the north western suburbs, near the western end of Reid Hwy. Considering a drive to closer to the hills

Thanks

Tim
I have ridden Muchea East Road, which is a nice ride, and manageable but very far from you. Brigadoom is closer, so maybe look around there. It's not all ridiculously steep.
<removed by request>

thefunkygibbon

Postby thefunkygibbon » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:58 pm

ratix wrote:Can anyone advise which of these routes are somewhat 'safe' I.e minimal traffic, reasonable speed limit
I'm in the same boat, while I'm building up my climbing I really would like somewhere relatively quite. Thanks

Sprocket

Postby Sprocket » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:01 am

as7431 wrote:I am looking for a bit of a different hill - something that is not more than 5% (perhaps 7% for small stretches, but mostl;y 3-5%) to progress my very poor climbing ability. Perhaps 3-4km long.
Looks like you are still being hit with the "big" suggestions. Here's a gentler one:
Roland Road in Parkerville heading south from Toodyay Road, bit over 2km at about 4%. Not as long as you want. Hopefully someone can come up with a longer one at about this gradient. Reasonably quiet road despite the 80km speed limit on it. Unfortunately you have to go up some pretty big hills to get there...... possibly including Brigadoom and some nasty ~600m "ramps" on Lancewood. :twisted: Or just drive to corner of Toodyay and Roland Road.

Also Coulston Road from Scott Street to Darlington Road is about 2.5km long and also about 4%. You can get to that one without having to do any killer hills. Road probably isn't as quiet as Roland, but still not too bad. And when you get stronger you can continue on to Ryecroft.....

Good luck.