Audax WA Region general information

cavebear2

Audax WA Region general information

Postby cavebear2 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:26 pm

Hi to all current / would be participants of Audax rides in WA. I'm the new Ride Coordinator for Audax WA Region.

I'll be getting this thread made sticky for posting a variety of advice on Audax style riding.
eg. where to find ride forms, how to join Audax, the procedures to follow for a ride organiser, information on food and hydration, how Audax works etc.

Just watch this space over the coming weeks.

You will of course, still see casual cyclist's regular posts promoting Audax WA rides. This thread won't replace those, it will endeavour to document a bunch of useful information in a convenient place to help prospective BNA people get on their Audax bikes.

Regards

Perry Raison
Last edited by cavebear2 on Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cavebear2

Re: Audax WA Region general information

Postby cavebear2 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:38 pm

Hi all,

Sorry about the delay in adding anything to this thread, 1 or 2 technical difficulties with my home computer or lack of it.

Just watch this space....

Regards

Perry

cavebear2

Postby cavebear2 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:27 pm

If you are organising an Audax ride in WA, here is a summary of some admin stuff you will need to know.

You will find the forms (and much more info.) required at the Audax admin information page here

Ride organisers should take particular note of Ride Organiser Guidelines
Prospective riders should look at the Rider Guidelines, Ride Rules and Lighting & Reflective Garment Requirements

Ride Organisers should:
Send out an email to prospective riders 1 week before with
1. Route Sheet (preferably Excel or similar format, set of instructions with information on intersection types, directions, road names and description and distances between each point)
2. Bikely link
3. Description from Audax events calendar

On the day need
1. Ride organiser's form filled out with known riders
2. Pens
3. Spare blank rider entry forms
4. Brevet Cards - blank (available from Ride Coordinator)
5. Currency for change

Other
Lighting check required if there is a reasonable likelihood of riders finishing after sunset. (Refer Lighting & Reflective Garment Requirements at the Audax administration information link - top link in this post)

Post Ride:
1. Ensure Brevet cards are completed (front and back)
2. Send completed brevet cards & ride organiser's form to Ride Coordinator (Currently Perry Raison)
3. Give collected Brevet fees and a copy of the ride organiser's form to Treasurer (Currently Ken Dupuy)
4. Post a ride report (preferably soft copy) and a copy of the route sheet to Audax Magazine Coordinator (Currently Tony Gillespie)
Last edited by cavebear2 on Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavebear2

Postby cavebear2 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:15 pm

For Audax ride rules please refer to this site
Last edited by cavebear2 on Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.

cavebear2

Postby cavebear2 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:19 am

The following is some advice that I recently offered when queried regarding the Dawn to Dusk 300km ride: (tbh 19/12/09)
mostly commonsense really. :roll:

This Audax ride is unsupported and as such you should carry all of your own spares (I would advise at least 2 spares tubes plus patches) and any supplemental energy foods that you may require.

The ride starts at Sunrise or 5:06AM.

To qualify for the Dawn to dusk award this ride must be completed to the 300km point (Midland Train Station) by 19:20. If you wish to gain the Dawn to Dusk series award you must also complete the D to D Winter and the D to D Spring which are to be held next year. (please refer to Audax Calender)

To achieve ACP homologation the ride must be completed in 20 hours or by 1:06AM on the 20th December.

If the weather is hot, I would advise that you should carry more than 2 bottles of water or preferably a hydration pack. Food and water can be had at each of the control points so you should bring enough money for this purpose. Audax rides such as this are typically ‘every rider for themselves’ type events however you may find someone that rides at your own pace and from time to time some groups of riders do ride together for all or part of the route.

If you have a Next G mobile handset it would be advisable to carry this also, in case of emergency, or to contact me on 0427 773 402.

The entry fees for members is $5 and $10 for non members.

cavebear2

Re: Audax WA Region general information **UPDATED 2/3/10**

Postby cavebear2 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:11 pm

Just to let everyone know, I finally have access to change the Audax Calendar - It's only taken about 4 or 5 months!

cavebear2

Postby cavebear2 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:14 pm

Audax Australia have a new website. Here is the new link. A bit more user friendly than the old...I'd be interested in hearing what you think.

Note: All previous links in this thread are now redundant.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:11 am

You went down the Joomla path, nice. Are you aware that you can have smart URL's, rather than view=xxx,id=19,etc.

I wouldn't embed the forum into a frame, just get it to open up in a new window.

If you need any free advise on Joomla, PM me, and if I can help, will do. Make up for all the Audax rides I have not done this year.

Otherwise, site looks clean and fresh, so good job of getting it up.

Jezza75

Postby Jezza75 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:29 am

cavebear2 wrote:Audax Australia have a new website. Here is the new link. A bit more user friendly than the old...I'd be interested in hearing what you think.

Note: All previous links in this thread are now redundant.
Nice change to the web site!
(I did notice a few spelling mistakes tho..)
Is anyone from Perth planning on doing the Alpine Classic in 2012? I would like to have a shot at one of the shorter versions (maybe the 140 kilometre some time soon and then have a try at the real one later.
But I'd be too scared to go there on my own..

Hills hurt but couches KILL!

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:30 pm

An email today from the club, a reminder that it was 30 years ago next Tuesday that the first WA Audax ride was run. 28th July 1985 had 18 riders do a course from Midland up to Bindoon, Toodyay and back to Midland, similar to a 200km course that the CTA had run occasionally. Not surprising as Audax WA was born out of the CTA club president's desire to qualify for the PBP. John and Aileen Martin moved East years ago but Audax here lives on.

The riders were:- Bob Stockman, Phil Torkildsen, Margaret Neill, Neil Porteous, D. Millward, Robert Minoo, John Martin, Ron Masterman, Sue Campbell, Alan Booth, Peter Cooksey, Geoff Creighton, Sue Dwyer, Barbara Dwyer, Merv Girdlestone, R. Evennett, Aileen Martin, J. Turley.

And the website admin for the Audax WA club has recently arranged this WA-centric page off the main Audax menu, including a WA-only rides online calendar.

zebee

Postby zebee » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:00 am

reading the rider requierments, just what is the equivalent of a reflective vest for a recumbent? Hard to determine that without knowing what the organisers think a reflective vest is. I've seen ones with a tiny stripe of reflec and ones that are entirely reflec, ones with reflec only on the front, ones with it only on front and back.

Maybe a better method is to require a certain amount of reflective material visible from front, rear, and side.

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:54 am

As with most things recumbents aren't specifically addressed and your 'better method' of a certain amount of reflective material visible from front, rear, and side is what most ride organisers would look for. If on a recumbent you wear the Audax reflective vest (and these sell for $5 in WA so why not) then your vest probably is quite visible from front and side, not so much from behind because your back is up against the seat. You'd have to supplement this by reflectives on the back of your seat, tailbox, the seatbag or dare I say it, adding a flag. What we have to do for our craft ... Those Audax rules mean that the stripe on a few of the popular brands of seatbag are a bit narrow and need supplement but that's not too hard to fix.

Don't worry, quite a few riders for the Perth-Albany 1200km last year, not just recumbenteers, tried to get through the pre-ride bike check with minimalist, pretty much pin-striping reflectives on their vests and had to make adjustments. The reflective guidelines were changed early in 2014 and it caught a few riders out, the best practice requires a garment with a 2" wide stripe (50mm) as like in Europe for the PBP (and for every car driver in the EU it is a law).

chuckchunder

Postby chuckchunder » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:35 pm

It was explained to me for PAP2010 that the vest is not only intended for being seen while on the bike, but also to be seen when attending to punctures, breakdowns and other events that see you standing on the side of the road.

cheers
"We have thousands of miles of cycling infrastructure, we just need to get the cars off them....." US advocate

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:35 pm

Well my dynamo headlight is somewhere west of Paris right now, on loan to a WA local doing the PBP. The list of Aussie riders posted on the Audax website is a little incomplete, missing Guido (number A026) and John (Z002), but I count 10 WA riders. None with Spottrackers, unfortunately, so you can only see their progress as they go through the checkpoints and from what I can see Guido is tearing up the course.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:30 pm

I was checking for updates on and off this morning, our time. It seems some people are completly sans check-ins, with the first control Villaines at 221km.

local regional Prez Wayne H. & also Perry amongst a few others.

Hope this is just a breakdown in the ACP/PBP recording uploading mechanism, rather than anything foreboding for the individuals.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:03 am

HappyHumber wrote:Hope this is just a breakdown in the ... recording uploading mechanism, rather than anything foreboding for the individuals.
or a breakdown in my headlight!
Tracking seems to have updated although Wayne H is going painfully slow. The next coffee meet at the Carriage Cafe should have a few stories.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:55 am

Bit more activity. Must be a pretty manual process relying on a few people in the chain getting the numbers published.

Tinteniac do need to pull their chaussettes up though..
--

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:54 pm

fwiw;
GoogleTranslate wrote:There is currently connection issues with Carhaix, Tinteniac, Ferns and Villaines.
So we do not get the hours of passages of these controls.
Please accept our apologies.
--

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:45 pm

I was just on the Audax site, trying to find the calendar for WA and it 404'd. Any ideas?
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:31 pm

Posted to Audax FB
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810