Perru's Parambulation 6/3/2010 - Ride Report

Baalzamon

Perru's Parambulation 6/3/2010 - Ride Report

Postby Baalzamon » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:54 pm

It was a beautiful day for this ride today. We all headed off about 7:15am. What a cruisy speed we were doing, really just rolling along taking our time.
I had my bike serviced yesterday and now I don't have my high chainring, but I figured out the cause at my next unintended stop :evil: After going down a nice hill I started to hear a noise, looked down to see my light touching my front wheel... Had to stop and tighten it up, whilst stopped I checked to see what cable ran to my front derailleur.

Got back on bike and tried to go on large chainring again, then pulled the cable and YES got higher gears :mrgreen: This was 23kms into my 300km ride or so I thought. Within 13kms again I was pulled up with a mechanical. I was wondering why I was really struggling and the others were going so easy... Decided to stop and investigate. Found my front brake rubbing on wheel, SIMPLE or so I thought. Ended up taking front wheel off and tightening it back up. Still hasn't fixed :? Skewer is tightened up all the way yup... Hmmm WAIT A SECOND. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: I saw the cause, my brand new schmidt dynamo SON 28 hub had loosened up! Now this is what holds all the insides together. OH MAN now I'm faced with a walk back. Hopefully someone will see my plight and pick me up. Thankfully a farmer did and I got back in a decent time

Distance completed 36km out of 300km
Status DNF

Time to contact Scmidt and the place where I bought it. Will post pics later.

Edit
Rang St Kilda Cycles the Australian distributer for them (not the place I bought it). They will fix it up for me, it will only cost me postage. Due to no instructions I had the hub around the wrong way and it undid itself :roll:
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Pushy

Re: Perru's Parambulation 6/3/2010 - Ride Report

Postby Pushy » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:22 pm

That's a bummer. Was that you filling up a black Golf at Caltex Woolies South Lake about 5.30 this morning? Noticed the bike on top was setup for a long ride.
Les
06' Giant TCR C1
08' Colnago CLX
07' Apollo Swift

VW Jetta Diesel 5.5l/100km

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:51 pm

Pushy wrote:That's a bummer. Was that you filling up a black Golf at Caltex Woolies South Lake about 5.30 this morning? Noticed the bike on top was setup for a long ride.

Yup that was me, heading off early to pickup Missy24

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:13 am

I barley got 3 hours sleep so arrived at Bullsbrook feeling very tired. After faffing about setting up my bidons, rack etc, I set off with the group feeling like crawling into bed and struggling with energy levels. I was hoping with coffee, the right nutrition and the right hydration I would come good. I didn't.

After the first checkpoint (Bindoon?) I started to struggle to keep up. The headwind got stronger and stronger and the hills got stepper and steeper, and I got slower and slower. Carolyn, Rowena, Steve and Grant kept stopping to wait but eventually Steve and Carolyn had to ride off because of time constraints. I eventually, barely crawled into Toodyay, the 100km point and realised I would not be riding 300km today.

The cafe at Toodayay is awesome! They have a range of amazing food, drinks and desserts and I felt better after after a huge salad and cheese sandwich and a drink.

I set off back to Bullsbrook along the very bumpy Julimar Road. I kept up with Grant and Row for a while but eventually they kept dropping me and then stopping to wait. I got slower and slower and they eventually took off to the control so that Grant could get water. I met them there only 10 mins behind (they took the high road and I took the low road). After a drink and a break I managed to hang on until the end of the ride.

I would rate this as the hardest ride I have ever done including Dambusters, a 300km ride and the first ride back 2 weeks after breaking my knee (i.e. my knee was still broken and extremely painful). The hill, heat and headwind were relentless and really sapped my energy levels which were low to begin with.

However, it was great to get out again and catch up with the guys, Caroline and meet Missy24. We rode through some spectacular countryside along very quiet roads with very little traffic. It was very relaxing to ride without the constant noise of cars. A huge shout out to Caroline who kept going on to do 300km after Toodyay, you are an amazing rider. Thanks to Grant again for the company and Missy... if that is how you ride when you are struggling, I don't wanna see you on a good day. Congrats to all. :D
<removed by request>

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:55 am

casual_cyclist wrote:I barley got 3 hours sleep so arrived at Bullsbrook feeling very tired. After faffing about setting up my bidons, rack etc, I set off with the group feeling like crawling into bed and struggling with energy levels. I was hoping with coffee, the right nutrition and the right hydration I would come good. I didn't.

Hi Greg

Bummer about not finishing :( I guess three hours sleep is not the ideal preparation :wink:

Andrew
Andrew
~ Aushiker.com

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:05 am

Aushiker wrote:
casual_cyclist wrote:I barley got 3 hours sleep so arrived at Bullsbrook feeling very tired. After faffing about setting up my bidons, rack etc, I set off with the group feeling like crawling into bed and struggling with energy levels. I was hoping with coffee, the right nutrition and the right hydration I would come good. I didn't.

Hi Greg
Bummer about not finishing :( I guess three hours sleep is not the ideal preparation :wink:
Andrew

Even if I had more sleep I don't think I could have battled those headwinds all day. They were really draining.
<removed by request>

BandedRail

Postby BandedRail » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:53 am

Made it back with Perry (CaveBear2), going to get some shut-eye now, will post details tomorrow (insert "completely shattered smiley" here).

P.S. Tooday to York was by far the worst leg of the ride - made me wish I'd turned around at Tooday too!

chuckchunder

Postby chuckchunder » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:30 am

I left Toodyay with bandedrail, who disappeared into the distance before the katrine rd turn (he needed to make up time to catch his lift home). The ride up to Toodyay was OK, I wasn’t so sure about all that descending out of Chittering – all I could think about was climbing back up it all after 250+km.....
The headwind started in earnest climbing out of Bindoon I reckon. It really sucked the joy out for a while. I spent the last few km’s into York chanting to myself, only ten more km’s, then you turn around and it’ll be a tailwind, only eight more km’s, and it’ll be a tailwind, only five more....... well you get the idea.

The bummer came when I tried to shift to the bottom gears on a short sharp hill and couldn’t. NOOOooo....... Sigh. I know this problem. One strand on one of the shifter cables breaks, and then starts to unravel. Then it bunches up in the housing, and you gradually lose either your top gears or bottom, depending on which cable, and then the whole thing seizes. Sometimes it takes four or five hundred km’s before you lose all shifting, sometimes it happens almost immediately.

I think about chancing it and pushing on. Then I remember single speed recumbent trikes are not great in undulating country. Walking loaded recumbent trikes in the dark is even less fun. My wife is sick in bed at home, already worrying about me. She can’t pick me up. And I didn’t want to worry her more by being super late home either.

I called my brother, and much to his wife’s consternation (they were heading out to a party), he drives out to pick me up. Having ridden to the start I covered 240km for the day, but having spent the best part of ten hours pushing into it, man I am pissed off I didn’t get to feel that wind at my back.

Glen
"We have thousands of miles of cycling infrastructure, we just need to get the cars off them....." US advocate

BandedRail

Postby BandedRail » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:55 pm

Sorry to hear about your cable problems Glen, I normally carry a spare but I had to use it last week on my wife's bike. Hope you got a bit more sleep last night Greg, I wouldn't attempt a 50 on 3 hours let alone a 300!

Right, more details now that I'm rested up & even had a (very small) recovery ride.

The day for me had a lot of unexpected stops followed by a mad dashes to try to catch up to others. My 1st stop was just after leaving Bullsbrook when my wedding ring came off & bounced down the road - fortunately it stayed on the road rather than heading into the weeds so I managed to find it quickly. Applied a plaster to my finger to stop that happening again (must get it re-sized - the ring, not the finger). Caught up to others & was having a good chat to Baalzamon when he said he was stopping. I thought it was a "comfort stop" so I headed on a bit until I heard him call out again. Went back & helped find the problem with the hub (ok, so I just held the bike while he tried to sort it out - I wasn't applying my brute force-mechanical ignorance to that hub, I know how much they cost :shock: ). Always sad to see a rider have to pull out due to mechanical problems.

After a frantic dash I managed to catch up with the others at Bindoon just as they were getting ready to leave. I had just enough time to get my card signed & inhale a trail bar before heading off again. Eventually caught up with Glen and had a pleasant ride into Toodyay. My cycle-computer came off while speeding down a hill & I hit the brakes hard enough for the back wheel to leave the ground, scared the bejeebers out me!

Had a tasty B.L.T. at Toodyay & then tried to lift myself to catch up to the others (especially Perry who was my lift back to Perth). The side to head winds, the dry heat & the rather boring brown fields made this the hardest part of the ride by far - like Glen I was also counting down the km to York. Arrived in York & was relieved to catch up with Perry, Aaron & ??? (sorry, we weren't introduced). I just managed to grab some refreshments (all liquid) before the cafe shut & then off we went. Perry punctured on the outskirts of York, couldn't find the offending object so we're blaming the snake we had just passed :wink: I was more than happy to wait while Perry made repairs, I was still suffering from the Toodyay-York leg. By the time we set off again it was almost sunset so the temperature had dropped and the wind was behind us. The ride back to Toodyay seemed effortless & I really enjoyed chatting with Perry (especially about wine - even though I'm rather un-educated about it I still like drinking the stuff). The ride after Toodyay was also great even though some of the decents were a little hairy as I felt I was going way too fast for my lights. While checking the distance on the computer I managed to leave the road & slide sideways down a steep bank of pea gravel. Somehow I managed to stay upright & even neatly unclipped at the bottom & stepped off the bike (where's a camera when you need one?). The whole day started to really catch up with me in the last hour as I kept finding my thoughts becoming confused & downright strange. Made it back to Bullsbrook by 11 pm, tired, sore (knees & butt) & swearing I'd never do another 300 again (but that was what I said last time - and the Oppy is coming up in 2 weeks... :wink: ).

Well done to all who participated & a big thanks to Perry for the motivation and the lift to & from Bullsbrook.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:59 pm

You are amazing for finishing that ride. I only did 170km of the ride (same route as you) and it felt a lot harder than the last 300km ride I did. The hills and the headwinds are a lot more taxing than a relatively flat ride.

BandedRail wrote:Sorry to hear about your cable problems Glen, I normally carry a spare but I had to use it last week on my wife's bike. Hope you got a bit more sleep last night Greg, I wouldn't attempt a 50 on 3 hours let alone a 300!

I sure did sleep well. Slept through 'til 9:45, got some water, went back to bed and slept 'til 12:00 :shock:

I sure was tired. Today, I am so glad I did the ride yesterday. It is already feeling pretty good. I am already forgetting the pain and remembering how much fun I had 8)
<removed by request>

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:04 pm

chuckchunder wrote: I know this problem. One strand on one of the shifter cables breaks, and then starts to unravel. Then it bunches up in the housing, and you gradually lose either your top gears or bottom, depending on which cable, and then the whole thing seizes.

Never really had this problem although I've had strands break, I'd suggest that you look to any problems in the housing or pressure points as the cables breaking is a symptom of something else. Never had this problem on my Greenspeed trike but used to lose brake cables on the MTB until I fixed the kinking problem. And I guess if you were to carry spares it'd have to be at least one tandem-sized cable because nobody else will be carrying one and you can bet it'll be the rear derailleur cable that goes on the trike out in the middle of nowhere.

Having read the posts on this ride I'm really sorry that I missed the adventure. I was going to do the Audax last weekend but managed to concuss myself by slipping over at home just before the event, this pales to those who yesterday rode with broken knees and sleep deprivation (or depravity?). One thing I used to like about the long Audax was when you get to the really tired, bone-tired-but-still-gotta-keep-pedalling and you realise that you've just had one of those blink-for-a-sec-and-you're-six-feet-over-to-the-left moments and are still upright and heading down the road. Doesn't work for everyone or all the time apparently.

toofat

Postby toofat » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:06 pm

Top effort Bandedrail,
You were only 5 hours behind us and we only did 170km, at one stage on the way into Toodyay we were doing 10kph on the flat such was the wind, to head out for more of that punishment takes determination, well done, at 70 kph those decents were a bit hairy on that rough road, I didnt want to think about what it would be like in the dark

cavebear2

Postby cavebear2 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:02 pm

Thanks to all who took part and thanks particularly to Steve who was such great company. I'm glad I didn't see him go off the road and slide down the embankment in the dark! :shock: :shock:

Thanks again also to Grant who gave Rowena and her bike a lift back to Perth.

Out of the 13 who started we had 5 DNF's of which 2 were 'catastrophic' mechanicals. I had a snake bike flat which was caused by my cloth rim tape going off centre and causing the edges of 4 spoke holes to be exposed. Thanks to Steve (BandedRail) for solving the problem with his yellow plastic tape which I covered the 4 offending edges with. I think we might have to nickname BandedRail the Good Samaritan. :)

I got to bed at 3:30AM as I was on auto pilot and continued with post ride cleaning up activities, ride admin, tea etc. when I arrived home. Slept in until 12:15PM (beat you Greg! :wink: )

Regards
Perry

ajh_ausnzcf

Postby ajh_ausnzcf » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:08 pm

BandedRail wrote:Made it back to Bullsbrook by 11 pm, tired, sore (knees & butt) & swearing I'd never do another 300 again (but that was what I said last time - and the Oppy is coming up in 2 weeks... :wink: ).

Well done to all who participated & a big thanks to Perry for the motivation and the lift to & from Bullsbrook.

Congratulations on cranking through a tough 300 Steve. Probably a little tougher than the Summer D2D 300 in my estimation and certainly put the strains on me. Damn that last drawn out stinger of a hill out of the valley before descending to Bullsbrook and those rough chip top roads (Toodyay-Bindi Bindi rd being the worst and it's new!), I didn't feel the wind as much as you though but it was very easy riding back to Toodyay with a tail wind and a beautifully smooth surface for the most part. Julimar rd is as relentlessly punishing as I recall. I arrived back at the "sportsman club" just before 10pm and then rode off home, I was thinking about waiting and relaxing about for a bit see if you and Perry were going to roll in ... but there were groups of yokels loitering about.

Hopefully I'll see you on the Oppy.

Thanks Perry for a very good route and organization. Well done to everyone getting out to Bullsbrook with intentions of cracking a whopping 300km. I should have transferred the map from Stuart's Garmin, alas mine had the wrong route.
Axles A Randonee O Noodle.

"Doc, just tell me straight ... am I going to die?"

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:16 pm

ajh_ausnzcf wrote:
BandedRail wrote:Made it back to Bullsbrook by 11 pm, tired, sore (knees & butt) & swearing I'd never do another 300 again (but that was what I said last time - and the Oppy is coming up in 2 weeks... :wink: ).

Congratulations on cranking through a tough 300 Steve. Probably a little tougher than the Summer D2D 300 in my estimation and certainly put the strains on me. Damn that last drawn out stinger of a hill out of the valley before descending to Bullsbrook and those rough chip top roads (Toodyay-Bindi Bindi rd being the worst and it's new!), I didn't feel the wind as much as you though but it was very easy riding back to Toodyay with a tail wind and a beautifully smooth surface for the most part. Julimar rd is as relentlessly punishing as I recall. I arrived back at the "sportsman club" just before 10pm and then rode off home, I was thinking about waiting and relaxing about for a bit see if you and Perry were going to roll in ... but there were groups of yokels loitering about.

Hopefully I'll see you on the Oppy.

Thanks Perry for a very good route and organization. Well done to everyone getting out to Bullsbrook with intentions of cracking a whopping 300km. I should have transferred the map from Stuart's Garmin, alas mine had the wrong route.

Yes you should have :) And maybe as well you should have let Perry know that you were doing this ride.

chuckchunder

Postby chuckchunder » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:00 pm

just4tehhalibut wrote:
chuckchunder wrote: I know this problem. One strand on one of the shifter cables breaks, and then starts to unravel. Then it bunches up in the housing, and you gradually lose either your top gears or bottom, depending on which cable, and then the whole thing seizes.

Never really had this problem although I've had strands break, I'd suggest that you etc etc

I should clarify - I have a Rohloff hub, so two cables. I have been playing with cable routing since I got the thing trying to extend cable life, worst to date was 2000km. These have lasted 10,700km, I had planned to change them two weeks ago at 10,000km. Wishing I had!
"We have thousands of miles of cycling infrastructure, we just need to get the cars off them....." US advocate

danny

Postby danny » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:56 pm

Peryy, Thanks for organising a great ride. I managed to avoid all of the problems that seem to have bedeviled other riders and, for a change,did not get lost (a nice bonus!), arriving back at Bullsbrook just before 8pm.
Danny

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:04 pm

danny wrote:Peryy, Thanks for organising a great ride. I managed to avoid all of the problems that seem to have bedeviled other riders and, for a change,did not get lost (a nice bonus!), arriving back at Bullsbrook just before 8pm.
Danny

:shock:

Are you capable of feeling pain? You are amazing for finishing a challenging 300km ride so fast!
<removed by request>

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:06 pm

I still don't understand why you would want to ride 300K's in a day. I rode a stage race back in 91 and one day was 240k's but 300 YUCKY POO'S :) :) Well done you are all NUTS :mrgreen:

danny

Postby danny » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:23 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:
danny wrote:Peryy, Thanks for organising a great ride. I managed to avoid all of the problems that seem to have bedeviled other riders and, for a change,did not get lost (a nice bonus!), arriving back at Bullsbrook just before 8pm.
Danny

Are you capable of feeling pain? You are amazing for finishing a challenging 300km ride so fast!

I rode with Colin for the first 90km and think he probably got back without the need for lights (or even a food stop). I stopped for a eats in Toodyay (out & back) and York (my plan had been a single stop but the head wind put pay to that idea). As for the pain? The usual amount :) Danny

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:40 pm

danny wrote:
casual_cyclist wrote:
Danny

I rode with Colin for the first 90km and think he probably got back without the need for lights (or even a food stop). I stopped for a eats in Toodyay (out & back) and York (my plan had been a single stop but the head wind put pay to that idea). As for the pain? The usual amount :) Danny

Ahh, yes, Colin. I guess you are only runner up superhuman then :P

Seriously though, a hilly, windy 300km in less than 13 hours is an amazing effort.
<removed by request>