PSP-Cyclists critique of the infrastructure

rolandp

PSP-Cyclists critique of the infrastructure

Postby rolandp » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:24 am

Firstly, many thanks to all who contributed to these critiques. They are located below:
Perth/Fremantle PSP-Cyclists critique of the infrastructure - basically west
Perth head South PSP-Cyclists critique of the infrastructure - basically south
Perth head East PSP-Cyclists critique of the infrastructure - basically east
Perth/Currambine PSP-Cyclists critique of the infrastructure - basically north

If anyone still wants to contribute to these maps, please click on the above links, and provide feedback.

I've updated them to include Transport's Bicycle Traffic Counts where I didn't know the exact locations (if you do, please provide co-ordinates), and it is very interesting to see the high number of journeys made on the cycling infrastructure.

The links have been passed onto the Minister of Transport and the Shadow Minsiter of Transport. If they would help, pass them also onto your Local Council.

If additional areas you would like to mapped, please pass on data and I will get this done for you.

fixed

Re: PSP-Cyclists critique of the infrastructure

Postby fixed » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:47 am

I have to say that this effort is completely awesome.
No budget, no sponsorship, and no guarantee of propogation, you have kept going to provide a fantastic resource for cyclists.
The links make an ideal pitch to decision makers. Every Perth cyclist should read and engage with these maps and provide feedback.
Roland well done squire!
The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:13 am

fixed wrote:I have to say that this effort is completely awesome.
<snip>
Roland well done squire!
+1

I've made this a sticky thread. That's how awesome it is! :)

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

blkmcs

Postby blkmcs » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:28 am

fixed wrote:I have to say that this effort is completely awesome. ...
+1
Thanks for all your work Roland :)
Too old to live, too slow to die.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:20 am

Northern section updated this week-end.

I'm also thinking of expanding this to cycling infrastructure, not just the PSP. So if you have any items you want to add, let me know.

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:43 am

rolandp wrote:I'm also thinking of expanding this to cycling infrastructure, not just the PSP. So if you have any items you want to add, let me know.
Crikey this'll open a can o' worms, are you planning on making this you're life's work Roland?

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:07 am

If anyone has any ideas/skills to automate a facility to record this data, please let me know so it doesn't become a life's work as RobertFirth asks, though hopefully these maps are getting attention as I got a letter indicating that the Minster of Transport's office thanking me for my email and 'Your corrospondence is currently under consideration'.

fixed

Postby fixed » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:49 am

Truman Show?
The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine.

rodneythellama

Postby rodneythellama » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:56 am

Hi Roland,

I'm sure the number of problems we reported already would make a couple years' work! :?

I have sent you a pm about automating collection and reporting of this data.

Cheers,

Rodney

elStado

Postby elStado » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:58 pm

rolandp wrote:Northern section updated this week-end.

I'm also thinking of expanding this to cycling infrastructure, not just the PSP. So if you have any items you want to add, let me know.
This is exactly what Cycling WA, Main Roads etc should have been doing from the start.

Community participation and integration is always the most effective way of gaining information and effectively solving issues.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:17 pm

Hi elStado, this has been replaced with http://www.acii.xtreemhost.com, where members of the public can record issues with cycling infrastructure.

All of the data initially collected was moved over, and we're still getting 5-10 additional issues raised per month in WA. Please use the ACII site to record when you have seen an issue.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:58 pm

Maybe I'm dense, but I'm following my intuition with the search box and the map refuses to budge from Scarbby Bch Road and Odin Road.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

rcmkII

Postby rcmkII » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:49 pm

I just added a couple of comments regarding the PSP along the Roe Hwy (Parkwood/Langford) to the South map. Hope that was the right place to put them?
Riding and writing my way to health and happiness.

rcmkII

Postby rcmkII » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:13 pm

rcmkII wrote:I just added a couple of comments regarding the PSP along the Roe Hwy (Parkwood/Langford) to the South map. Hope that was the right place to put them?
Well that was quick. The area I mentioned now has warning signs erected and they've marked the path with paint where they're going to fix it. Probably just a coincidence, but I'm happy all the same.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:52 pm

rcmkII wrote:
rcmkII wrote:I just added a couple of comments regarding the PSP along the Roe Hwy (Parkwood/Langford) to the South map. Hope that was the right place to put them?
Well that was quick. The area I mentioned now has warning signs erected and they've marked the path with paint where they're going to fix it. Probably just a coincidence, but I'm happy all the same.
I'll see if I spot that on my commute tomorrow, saw no sign of it thursday.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:15 pm

Hi rcmkII, glad your items are being addressed, which local council/state government body did you report it to as it is great when the respond to these items quickly.

Please use www.acii.xtreemhost.com in the future to track these items, and appologies I didn't see your earlier post.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:14 pm

I just posted 2 issues relating to berrigan drive and roe hwy psp east of south st where it has a 3 way intersection. Just who has right of way and especially since one path is a downhill and cyclists go at speed thru that intersection.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:03 pm

Baalzamon wrote:... and roe hwy psp east of south st where it has a 3 way intersection. Just who has right of way and especially since one path is a downhill and cyclists go at speed thru that intersection.
Ahh yes.. the triangular roundabout, that I think you'll find most people coming off the downhill will take anti-clockwise when turning right :?
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

rcmkII

Postby rcmkII » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:34 pm

rolandp wrote:Hi rcmkII, glad your items are being addressed, which local council/state government body did you report it to as it is great when the respond to these items quickly.

Please use http://www.acii.xtreemhost.com in the future to track these items, and appologies I didn't see your earlier post.
I just added a couple of comments to the google maps page showing the PSP south faults.

I'll make a note of the other URL.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:28 pm

I did just try signing up to http://www.acii.xtreemhost.com, but it gave a message about "could not initiate mail transfer" to send me the acknowledgement detail It suggested me a site thing rather than a e-maill address or server problem.

Spotted a relatively fresh sinkhole this morning, along Fifth Avenue in Rossmoyne. Probably no danger to cars at the moment... but likely to be a nasty dip for a bike travelling in the middle of the lane.

Submitted a Hazard report form anyway just now. Here's the reference, should any of you travel this way yourselves.

Google Maps or Near Map. Turning off of Wilbur St. left onto Fifth Avenue, Rossmoyne - it's 5-10 metres from that corner in the middle of the lane.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Pickles

Postby Pickles » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:57 pm

:evil: GLASS 50m south of the Berrigan Drive Underpass :evil:

Just wanted to let people know there is a truckload of glass south of the Berrigan Drive Underpass on PSP South on both sides of the track for about 5-10m.

wagr1213

Postby wagr1213 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:35 pm

It would appear that construction of the continution/gap of the PSP between Showgrounds and Claremont station has begun!
Noticed this last week while passing whilst at work that the gangs had moved in and started fencing off and diggin stuff up - but fencelines in place today pretty much indicate the path route through alongside the railway.
A welcome addition to the route no doubt for thos of you using this section!

A couple of weeks ago there was also a bit of tidying up done on the rail reserve between Shenton Pk station and the busway bridge - not sure if this was just general clean up or maybe a start on PSP extension thru to the bus bridge tunnel. Keepin an eye on it anyway!
Malvern Star Oppy A4 Operator

wagr1213

Postby wagr1213 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:58 am

Work commenced today on construction of the extension of the PSP from Tonkin Hwy to Bassendean Station. :D

Im told that the route will swing away from where it currently becomes a section of grey black bitumen following the existing parallelling of the railway closer to the rail reserve down to the Kattaning st xing lights - after xing the intersection it will continue down the Guildford rd side of the rail corridor to the Collier rd crossing which has existing upgraded pedestrian/cycleway gates to enable changing to the western side of the railway.

Machines spent today cutting a route east through the grasses towards Ashfield station on the Guildford rd side.

Not before time!
Malvern Star Oppy A4 Operator

Hoonz

Postby Hoonz » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:40 pm

Does anyone know if there are any plans to install a bike/pedestrian bridge over the Swan River at Guildford? This bottleneck is a major barrier to cycling from the outer eastern corridor to the city, as the footpath to the side is bumpy, narrow and full of glass and the road goes from 4 lanes to 2 meaning impatient drivers and no room for overtaking. When you look at the bike maps there is clearly a "No Mans Land" in this area, with no real safe or convenient way to cross the river. A major oversight that desperately needs to be sorted IMO.

giantguy

Postby giantguy » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:50 am

There is a new psp being built on the south side of Ocean Reef rd, Wangara from Wanneroo rd to Brady st.