PSP-Cyclists critique of the infrastructure

Aushiker

Re: PSP-Cyclists critique of the infrastructure

Postby Aushiker » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:31 pm

According to BWA and I quote:

A campaign organised by the Greens have made it easy for you to comment on the State Government’s bike plan! Get the ‘bike blackspot’ iphone app or log on to bikeblackspot.org to send tips, feedback and suggestions from your ride. The information you send is used to build a better network and lobby for serious funding for cycling.

However the URL is currently invalid. Anyone have more accurate details?

Andrew
Andrew

fixed

Postby fixed » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:57 pm

the cult of apple, no android version?
The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:00 pm

fixed wrote:the cult of apple, no android version?
No website so no idea.

Andrew
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:58 pm

Blackspot app for iphone now launched.

Andrew
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:56 am

CYCLISTS have identified a section of South Terrace in Fremantle as one of Perth's cycling black spots.

The road has been highlighted as a dangerous spot for riders through the Bike Blackspot iPhone application.

The complaints regard tight road space, round-a-bout confusion, obstacles, lack of bike facilities and the need for green painted bike lanes.

One comment noted a spot on South Terrace was a “death trap for cyclists.”

The app, developed by Greens Senator Scott Ludlam, allows cyclists to identify problem areas through iPhones.

It also allows cyclists to post positive comments, with two riders stating the area had good cycling facilities, highlighting the provision of bike racks.

City of Fremantle Mayor Brad Pettitt said the app could help the City prioritise projects and maintenance.

He said the City had already planned to install bike lanes on South Terrace between Wray Avenue to Parry Street to help improve accessibility for cyclists.

Queen Victoria Street and Pearce Street were also identified as areas needing improved bike facilities.

“Lots of new bike lanes, convenient end of trip racks and new on road bike markings will make it much safer and more enjoyable for everyone to cycle in Fremantle,” he said.

More in the Fremantle Gazette, Thursday April 24, 2012, page one.
Andrew

cavebear2

Postby cavebear2 » Thu May 17, 2012 11:52 am

Queen Victoria Street and Pearce Street were also identified as areas needing improved bike facilities.
Pearce Street? perhaps this should be Parry St?

Well done to all people putting critiques in with the new app. :D

VRE

Postby VRE » Wed May 01, 2013 8:34 am

I haven't lived in Fremantle for almost 20 years now, but I've visited there as my Mum lives in South Fremantle. Instead of this piecemeal approach of putting bike lanes along sections of South Terrace*, I think the entire length of South Terrace could do with bike lanes. I used to do a lot of cycling in Fremantle, and South Terrace is definitely not one of my favourite roads for cycling. The section of South Terrace between Parry St and High St is also long overdue to be made into a pedestrian + cyclist mall.

* and subjecting cyclists to the danger of 'disappearing' bike lanes.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed May 01, 2013 9:37 am

cavebear2 wrote:
Pearce Street? perhaps this should be Parry St?
Pearce Street is in North Fremantle and is part of the Tydeman Road to North Fremantle Train Station connector path. Parry Street had bicycle lanes installed in the last financial year.

Andrew
Andrew

yellagonga

Postby yellagonga » Wed May 01, 2013 11:01 pm

what about just pouring some leveling concrete on these broken sections? http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_pro ... e=products" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If a few people chose 3 'critique' spots each, we would eventully fix it ourselfs and it doesnt take much.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Wed May 08, 2013 12:07 pm

VRE wrote:I haven't lived in Fremantle for almost 20 years now, but I've visited there as my Mum lives in South Fremantle. Instead of this piecemeal approach of putting bike lanes along sections of South Terrace*, I think the entire length of South Terrace could do with bike lanes. I used to do a lot of cycling in Fremantle, and South Terrace is definitely not one of my favourite roads for cycling. The section of South Terrace between Parry St and High St is also long overdue to be made into a pedestrian + cyclist mall.

* and subjecting cyclists to the danger of 'disappearing' bike lanes.
For most of South Terrace, it is much safer to ride in primary position than in any door zone bike lane.

Edit: When I think of South Terrace, I think of the section north from South Street into the CBD. If I've got the wrong spot, and you're referring to the section of there, I apologise.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:29 pm

The Riverside Drive RSP that was so resurfaced less than a year ago with a beautiful hotmix. Been a dream ever since.

However I have noticed in the last couple of weeks that much of it is now already being broken through and lifted up by nothing more substantial than cooch grass. And I am not talking just about a few here and there. I predict that the edges of this path will be seriously degraded within another year.

A pity.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:29 am

There's a ~150m stretch of the Kwinana PSP somewhere near Mundijong Rd that has been horribly resurfaced. It is very bumpy and the join from old to new is jarring. It is strange because there is another stretch connected to it that has been resurfaced well.

pushyperth

Postby pushyperth » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:59 pm

With the Office of Auditor General Reviewing Cycling, i hope they can assess the progress made (SFA) against these assessments of state and maintenance. i hope the obvious becomes pressure on government.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:38 pm

Red Rider wrote:There's a ~150m stretch of the Kwinana PSP somewhere near Mundijong Rd that has been horribly resurfaced. It is very bumpy and the join from old to new is jarring. It is strange because there is another stretch connected to it that has been resurfaced well.
If it's still that softer material, seems main roads have not done anything since 2012, suprised anyone
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

kellery82

Postby kellery82 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:16 pm

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has ever reported a gap (about the width of a road bike tyre) in the centre of the path heading north towards the Hutton Street intersection from the Freeway off-ramp?

I know it's in the centre and shouldn't pose a risk (if you are keeping left), but riding home the other day, I managed to get distracted, veered towards the centre of the concrete pathway which has separated and get my tyre caught (luckily briefly) in this gap. I managed to unclip from the right pedal and maintain my composure, but can't help but think this is quite a hazard and the concrete should be replaced as one slab.

I've also noticed that they have improved one island (dropping it to road level and adding non-slip pads) and one side of the bridges pathway entrance, but the other islands remain a concrete mess (anyone know why only half a job was done?).

Who would I report this too? MRWA, City of Stirling?

Regards,

Kristopher

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:16 pm

Can you report it as a danger using cleanstreets?

Regards
David

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:40 pm

My prediction after Elizabeth Quay is ready for users?

That there will a whack of criticism on those "cobblestones" for want of a better description on the road thru Barrack Square. Even now while the whole area is just about a ghost town I have heard negative mutterings by peds and at least one cyclist and I certainly don't like riding over them. What is it going to be like once the high heel set start heading back to The Lucky Shag.

At the very least I hope they very quickly replace them where paths cross the road.

What were the designers thinking? :cry:
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:08 am

ColinOldnCranky wrote:My prediction after Elizabeth Quay is ready for users?

That there will a whack of criticism on those "cobblestones" for want of a better description on the road thru Barrack Square. Even now while the whole area is just about a ghost town I have heard negative mutterings by peds and at least one cyclist and I certainly don't like riding over them. What is it going to be like once the high heel set start heading back to The Lucky Shag.

At the very least I hope they very quickly replace them where paths cross the road.

What were the designers thinking? :cry:
Colin, you recently contacted MRA about this project. Did you get a response?

To add to your prediction, I wonder what material will be used on the two dual use bridges at this site. Will there be shared path material (ie red tarmac), will the cobblestones be extended through the whole project or something else?

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:22 am

kellery82 wrote:Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has ever reported a gap (about the width of a road bike tyre) in the centre of the path heading north towards the Hutton Street intersection from the Freeway off-ramp?

Yes, I have previously reported to MainRoads when my tyre also slipped into the gaps, and was also brought to the attention to the Minister of Transport, as there are several serious issues with this section of PSP and requires graded crossing as identified in the 1996 Perth Bicycle Plan, and again in the 2013 WA Bike Network Plan - sadly he was not able to provide dates when this section will have graded crossing, even though this in one of 10 highest priority projects in the WABNP.

I do notice that some organisation has recently slapped some black tar in those gaps in the concrete. Problem solved (not).

JonasPhoto

Postby JonasPhoto » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:52 am

If we're talking about the broken conncrete/pavers on the traffic island at the south west corner at Hutton Street (freeway off ramp) then yes,I also reported it to Main Roads. The first report was in February this year. Was told a project manager had been appointed and survey paint markings appeared a month or two later. Then nothing.

Reported again last week (8 months later) and was told they would look into it. After another week, I'm told it has been 'escalated'.

I also raised the issue that the drop kerb is only wide enough for one cyclist to use at a time and is pretty much insufficient for the dozen or so who might cross both ways in a single phase. Was told that's a separate issue.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:01 am

Not surprised you have been fobbed off. Main Roads have very little interest in responding to or serving the public.

Fortunately the new PSP along the eastern side of the freeway isnt too far away - there was an announcement the other day that it has been funded for next year I think?

Edit: Nope, its 2 sections further north. Looks like we are stuck with it for a while yet.

JonasPhoto

Postby JonasPhoto » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:34 pm

An update. Main Roads got back to me and confirmed this issue would be fixed by the end of the month. Unfortunately, that month was November.

They did carry out a quick patch up job on the path with some hot mix (now sinking) and a sandbag. It's been there several weeks and grass has now taken root. If they don't fix it soon, they may have to send someone out with a whipper snipper to trim it back. I really wish I was joking.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:22 pm

JonasPhoto wrote:An update. Main Roads got back to me and confirmed this issue would be fixed by the end of the month. Unfortunately, that month was November.

They did carry out a quick patch up job on the path with some hot mix (now sinking) and a sandbag. It's been there several weeks and grass has now taken root. If they don't fix it soon, they may have to send someone out with a whipper snipper to trim it back. I really wish I was joking.
And on the other corner, is the traffic light that regularly gets knocked over (and I mean monthly and the last time was last Wednesday night) where the repair crew position it so it is very difficult to see from the shared path. I'm surprised MainRoads just doesn't 'black spot' this whole intersection, as at some point it won't be the traffic light, it will be someone one the shared path that gets hit.

JonasPhoto

Postby JonasPhoto » Thu May 05, 2016 11:59 am

Well, it's finally happening, 14 mths after first being reported and after 3 missed deadlines. The broken curb and sandbag at Hutton Street is being fixed. Careful what you wish for though, it seems they've commenced work by simply blocking off all paths in the area according to the BWA Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/BicyclingWA/ph ... permPage=1

kellery82

Postby kellery82 » Thu May 05, 2016 12:07 pm

JonasPhoto wrote:Well, it's finally happening, 14 mths after first being reported and after 3 missed deadlines. The broken curb and sandbag at Hutton Street is being fixed. Careful what you wish for though, it seems they've commenced work by simply blocking off all paths in the area according to the BWA Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/BicyclingWA/ph ... permPage=1
Yep, had fun with this early this morning coming from the North and being greeted with a taped off ramp. I had to walk my bike through the sand and ride on the road to get to the other side of Hutton. These changes are all well and good, but some notice would have been nice and even with these improvements, this whole intersection will remain an obstacle course and a joke for cyclists!