Officially requested to 'Slow Down Sir' - City of Stirling

as7431

Re: Officially requested to 'Slow Down Sir' - City of Stirli

Postby as7431 » Wed May 13, 2015 11:26 am

This section is really in need of improvement. I only ride the section between Trigg and North Beach Rd. When the sea breeze is in, I am on the road and use the section between Karrinyup Rd and North Beach Rd as a 1.5km time trial. Normally average ~35-40km/h (best average is 47km/h). So, I generally keep up with the traffic. After I get to the top of the rise just past Yello Cafe, I sit in the dead center of the road. Too narrow to pass and too high a risk of dooring to keep left. I occasionally get a beep or two, but very rarely does someone try to squeeze past. At the very worst, they get to traffic at the North Beach Rd roundabout a bit slower.

If I am not in for a sprint (or there is a rare northerly blowing), I will use the bike path, but then I back off and roll at about 25km/h average (slowing down when needed for peds). An on road bike lane would be ideal but they would probably need to stop parking along WCD to make it useable. Can't see that happening :cry:

Tim

roller

Postby roller » Wed May 13, 2015 12:46 pm

as7431 wrote:An on road bike lane would be ideal but they would probably need to stop parking along WCD to make it useable. Can't see that happening :cry:

Tim
remove parking?

that's crazy talk !

the right to a space to leave an unattended 1 ton piece of metal is sacred
inflammatory statement or idea

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Wed May 13, 2015 5:02 pm

Re COJ work; Some islands appear to be a little narrower, thus making the lanes wider. But the islands where there is a pedestrian crossing or intersection seem to be normal width (I'm guessing they must be a certain width).

COJ could have set an example by removing the verge of properties on the eastern side...that would give anywhere upto an extra meter of width to play with. Other than the 10 bays or so toward the BP Servo, I don't think there are any other parallel parking bays along the stretch of West Coast Drive within COJ either, so cycle lanes would have been relatively safe from doorings too.