Arena Bus Bridge - Happy 1st Anniversary - not being used

mount_street

Re: Arena Bus Bridge - Happy 1st Anniversary - not being use

Postby mount_street » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:25 am

Looks like the northern side of the bridge is now being used as a carpark. Meanwhile in Auckland an old ramp has been repurposed for cyclists...

Sinner

Postby Sinner » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:08 pm

The bus port works should finish mid next year, so expect a lot of usage by buses then. The Minister for Transport announced last October that the bridge would be extended to Charles Street. If all goes well, that would be March/April 2017.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:56 pm

mount_street wrote:Looks like the northern side of the bridge is now being used as a carpark. Meanwhile in Auckland an old ramp has been repurposed for cyclists...
Should we report them to Department of Transport as these bays will then generate funds for the Perth Parking Levy.

Lozzie

Postby Lozzie » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:06 pm

Where is this bridge? I have to use that horrible walkway with those stupid, dangerous pylons and hate it. Seems to be the only way to get across from Roe to Wellington though.

nachoman

Re: Arena Bus Bridge - Happy 1st Anniversary - not being used

Postby nachoman » Wed May 11, 2016 12:54 am

Charles Street Bus Bridge and Busway (Main Roads)

https://goo.gl/maps/zEc3DBaXUKm

Signs indicate construction starting in May. Saw some guys on Segways last week working around Bunning Lake/swamp and then some new spraypaint on the PSP this week. I wonder what disruptions are planned for the PSP in this section when they build the bridge over the top of it ?

SimoneF

Postby SimoneF » Wed May 11, 2016 5:52 am

As long as Main Roads cleans up their excess sand/rock/gravel/concrete mess that they will inevitably leave behind and not leave the PSP smashed to bits.... interestingly on the Project Update maps it shows a 'Shared Path' on Roe St starting from Fitzgerald St, thank F*%@k for that, because that area is a dogs breakfast. How many times have I come down Fitzgerald and turned right onto Roe and been rammed up against that bloody kerb! looks like it will go down to Sutherland St to connect up to Railway St path.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Wed May 11, 2016 11:18 am

I used the bus bridge the other night, didn't seem to be any buses on it but I wonder how long until Transperth start running test services etc.?

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed May 11, 2016 11:24 am

wellington_street wrote:but I wonder how long until Transperth start running test services etc.?
Already happened. They were running 000 busses in and out of the new hobbit hole a week back. So keep your eyes open!
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Sinner

Postby Sinner » Wed May 11, 2016 1:24 pm

nachoman wrote:Charles Street Bus Bridge and Busway (Main Roads)

https://goo.gl/maps/zEc3DBaXUKm

Signs indicate construction starting in May. Saw some guys on Segways last week working around Bunning Lake/swamp and then some new spraypaint on the PSP this week. I wonder what disruptions are planned for the PSP in this section when they build the bridge over the top of it ?
Sarah Smith from West Cycle is fighting the corner! She was at the Stakeholder Meeting last Friday.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Thu May 12, 2016 11:05 am

Thoglette wrote:
wellington_street wrote:but I wonder how long until Transperth start running test services etc.?
Already happened. They were running 000 busses in and out of the new hobbit hole a week back. So keep your eyes open!
Thanks Thoglette, don't think I'll be making it a regular part of my commute then...

NewStew

Postby NewStew » Thu May 12, 2016 3:31 pm

Given that it would seem that one end of the bridge is around the bike path past the lake and up to Fitzgerald/Aberdeen St and the other is around the bike path that goes up to Newcastle if they get this wrong then they will block the entire end of the Northern PSP unless you go onto Loftus St.

Nothing would surprise me with Main Roads but it really does need a proper and permanent diversion if the path is impacted.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:04 am

With the new bus station opening on Sunday 17th July, give some consideration if you will be impacted with buses having different routes in the Perth CBD, in particular as several buses will be accessing the station via the new tunnel around the Perth Arena.

Roe St should also get bus less, as the temporary bus station is no longer used. Which may mean they finally give us the long awaited cycle lanes (or shared lanes) at the west end.

PTA New Bus Station

Unclear if the bus bridge will again be used, or this will wait until that bus route extension finishes over the freeway.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:03 am

Summary of old topic
Bridge completed May 2009
Not used until used Dec 2010
Closed Mar 2014
Announcement indicating open again Jun 2017

So the bridge is now over 8 years old and only used for just over 3 years.

Sad how we get this project delivered (and then not used) and yet the WA Bicycle Network Plan is still waiting for the schedule of its projects to be released, as per the recommendations of Auditor General's Report into Safe Cycling (Oct 2015).

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:16 pm

Could have sworn I saw buses on it a little while back. Out of the hobbit hole and over the hill. Maybe fake memories.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

mikedufty

Postby mikedufty » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:10 pm

I saw it being used last week, must have been just after opening. Very odd traffic light setup where it comes out at the Charles St Freeway exit since cars alongside can also see the bus lights and some don't have B on them.

wicksey

Postby wicksey » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:30 pm

Anyone know if it's possible to enter the PSP at Newcastle St (which then heads west along the fwy) or did they close that?

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:05 am

wicksey wrote:Anyone know if it's possible to enter the PSP at Newcastle St (which then heads west along the fwy) or did they close that?
The MRWA Project Page doesn't mention any on-going PSP closures but the path from Newcastle St under the bus bridge wasn't serviceable in the latest aerial photography I have (4 weeks old).

I would assume that it has been re-opened since the photos were taken but if it hasn't you can definitely access the PSP from behind the car yard west of the overpass by taking Golding Rd and Old Aberdeen Place eastbound (back towards the overpass).