New Bollard Design

Becker_11

New Bollard Design

Postby Becker_11 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:26 pm

Technically this shouldn't be in the Western Australian forum as it was Bicycle Victoria that commissioned the new design BUT given the recent thread that I started on bollard design I felt it was relevant to the discussion. Have a look at this link http://bit.ly/97palQ and tell me what you think about the new bollard design. My first reaction is they are too high but that could be simply my conditioning from always having them so low.

Either way at least it shows a cycling body that is thinking about things and trying to improve the cyclists experience and safety on there on the road.
Regards
Nathaniel

A great adventure starts with a single step

rolandp

Re: New Bollard Design

Postby rolandp » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:49 am

It is very tall, but don't like the flag on top as I see this lasting less than 1 day. Not sure why it has to be this tall.
It looks reflective but with a bike light which is generally shown down, you may not see the reflector material which looks like is around 4-5 ft above ground.
It looks narrow so it would take up less space. Hopefully the long 3-4m yellow base is just for demonstration purposes and would not be installed with the bollard.
I would like to know what it is made of, as personally I don't like bollards (or u-bars), so if they are required to be installed then I would like to have material which can bend slightly would be nice.

Personally, I would like to see standards across WA, specifying when bollards should be used, which should have a higher priority they inventing new types of bollards (have a look at Trigg Beach at the new types of bollards being used in WA).

redned

Postby redned » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:02 am

I think that the base is part of the design. I also dislike bollards but these appear to be for traffic separation which is better than sticking them in the middle of the path for whatever purpose. In this respect they appear to be a sign to drivers that there is a bike lane, rather than a sign for cyclists. Could still be a surpise to run into one at night. A bit more reflective tape would be useful.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:58 pm

Looks to be a temporary device to me.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:34 am

rolandp wrote:It is very tall, but don't like the flag on top as I see this lasting less than 1 day. Not sure why it has to be this tall.
Hi

I didn't see the flag until you pointed it out :oops:
It looks reflective but with a bike light which is generally shown down, you may not see the reflector material which looks like is around 4-5 ft above ground.
Agree. The white bands lower down need to be reflective as well.
Hopefully the long 3-4m yellow base is just for demonstration purposes and would not be installed with the bollard.
Agree. The base is a stupid and dangerous idea. It just adds more "hit" material for no value.

This how thing just makes me wonder about Bicycle Victoria and their understanding of cycling.

Andrew

hanzao

Postby hanzao » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:38 am

I understand the height, so you can see it when your behind someone,
The pole to the flag is no use, as it is near impossible, maybe more visible when your there.
I understand why the platform is that shape and wide for easy installation and stability, its probably welded to a big ass metal plate and needs 3-4 bolts to the concrete.

I personally like it apart from the flag.
Cervelo 2012 R5 VWD SRAM Red
TimeTrials Felt B12
Northern Beaches Cycling Facebook

fixed

Postby fixed » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:07 pm

what are the implications for lateral traffic with that base? A trip hazard for peds (possibly jay walking) is not a good design.
The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine.

Becker_11

Postby Becker_11 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:23 am

Sorry to have taken so long to reply to this.

From what I've read on the Bike Victoria site these bollards are being used as route markers for their Around the Bay and Great series of rides. The long yellow base is used as a lane separator of sorts. Bikes this side/Cars the other and so would be in line with the direction of travel. Height is certainly unusual, maybe they think it's better for 1 day only events to alert motorists that something is different. I don't think this design, certainly at this height would work long term.

In any case since I am doing the 100km Around the Bay in a Day ride this October I will have the chance to see these in operation for myself and will be able to let you all know how they turned out.
Regards
Nathaniel

A great adventure starts with a single step