Three Group Rides - Two Cyclists down

Aushiker

Three Group Rides - Two Cyclists down

Postby Aushiker » Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:30 pm

G'day

Not a nice ride home this morning from Freo. Had a police car fly pass (sirens and lights) only to have it pull up a short distance ahead. Sadly a cyclist from a group ride was down. I could hear a siren in the distance so I assume an ambulance was on the way. The rider was in a recovery position which is one small positive.

It was at Port Beach, Curtain Avenue at the southern end of the road works where the road goes into one lane. I didn't see a vehicle there and don't have any further details. Anyone know anything?

Not that further along Curtain Avenue (first set of lights heading north), another group of riders (small group), ambulance in attendance, rider on the side of the road in recovery position. I didn't see a vehicle near by. Anyone know anything?

Sobering morning's ride.

Regards
Andrew

cray-

Postby cray- » Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:53 pm

Sad to hear stories like that, but just judging by the amount of cyclists I saw out on the roads this morning I guess the odds are high. And I'm not talking early early....between 9am-12. Dropped off my parentals at the airport and when I came out there where four guys westbound on the great eastern hwy!

That road is incredibly narrow at the best of times and this was at 12:30 so the traffic was really full on. Now I can see why drivers would get annoyed, they where riding single file in the gutter rather than just taking the whole lane which would have been safer. Still a bit of a silly decision to take that route if you ask me.

Dunk

Postby Dunk » Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:43 pm

Not good news, I heard about this after a bunch ride this morning. The guys talking about thought he (I don't know which fall) had a couple of broken ribs, a broken collarbone and had torn the muscles/ligaments in his shoulder. There was also a fall on Thursday AM as well.

Stay upright guys :)

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:15 pm

Dunk wrote:Not good news, I heard about this after a bunch ride this morning. The guys talking about thought he (I don't know which fall) had a couple of broken ribs, a broken collarbone and had torn the muscles/ligaments in his shoulder.
Thanks.

Better than being dead. These things can heal. Do you know if a car was involved?

Andrew

Dunk

Postby Dunk » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:22 am

Not that I'm aware of, but that small stretch of road is a bit dodgy. I've nearly been hit by cars there a few times.

I think it was probably a touch of wheels, we had a couple n our bunch on Saturday, but luckily no-one went down. The rider on Thursday morning apparently broke a chain, or skipped a gear badly after, powering out of the corner of Preston Point rd and Point Walter Rd.