WA 2008 Election Promises and Perth Bicycle Network Plan

rolandp

WA 2008 Election Promises and Perth Bicycle Network Plan

Postby rolandp » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:14 am

Came across this page BV - WA election 6 September 2008 which documents the WA State Election promises associated with cycling infrastructure, and it also contains an update in March 2009.

It is interesting to see what was promised then, back in 2008.

I like this bit from March 2009:
"You should be aware that the DPI has commissioned a review of the Perth Bicycle Network (PBN) Plan, which will create a new strategic bicycle network plan that will cover all aspects of cycling policy, planning and implementation in the Perth metropolitan area and statewide.
"While it is still too early in our term of Government for detailed policies on the provision of cycling facilities to be formulated, I can tell you that the Liberal party has a history of strong support for the development of cycling and cycling facilities in Western Australia."
The review is nearing completion, according to Ministry staff. A preliminary report has been presented to the PBN Plan Review Steering Committee, which will then make recommendations to the Minister.

12 months later, DoT indicates
30/03/2010 Perth Bicycle Network Plan review
The Department of Transport has commissioned a review of the Perth Bicycle Network Plan. Some refinements are being made to the draft, which will be sent to Transport Minister Simon O'Brien for consideration.

By the time the PBN Plan is released, cycling numbers will have doubled and the Plan will have to be done again.

Stick to your promises guys, and also release the updated PBN Plan.

CycleSnail

Re: WA 2008 Election Promises and Perth Bicycle Network Plan

Postby CycleSnail » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:29 pm

The previous PBN Network plan was published in 1996, with a ten year expected life.

The one before that was published in 1985, before that in 1975

A reasonable expectation would have been to have a review PUBLISHED in 2005.

Instead the material for the current review was collected during Winter 2007....and perhaps it will be published this year?

I seem to recall that the Sydney 2007-2017 quite detailed "Cycle Strategy and Action Plan" (found here http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/abou ... 7-2017.pdf) was researched and produced in less than six months.

And whilst many cyclists and cycling organisations provided detailed submissions, nobody I know has even seen the draft document that is now (perhaps) in front of the Minister.
Support high quality cycling advocacy!