Cycle Instead in Spring - 6 weeks of it

elStado

Re: Cycle Instead in Spring - 6 weeks of it

Postby elStado » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:27 am

chuckchunder wrote:hey elstado, i'll sign up for your team to help with the kms......... i ride through Curtin all the time and the paths around and through it i have to agree are somewhat lacking....... my k's for the month will include the Audax Perth-Albany-Perth 1200 (providing I finish it!), so should show some tidy numbers for your lobbying : )
Cool, I'm not trying to poach people away from Roland's cause though just to be clear.

Also, I think you are only supposed to be logging commuting KMs.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

cavebear2

Postby cavebear2 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:10 pm

elStado wrote:Also, I think you are only supposed to be logging commuting KMs.
It says somewhere on the site that you should log all km including after hours km.

I've got 1741.7 km for 3 weeks. 8)

elStado

Postby elStado » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:55 pm

cavebear2 wrote:
elStado wrote:Also, I think you are only supposed to be logging commuting KMs.
It says somewhere on the site that you should log all km including after hours km.

I've got 1741.7 km for 3 weeks. 8)
Oh really? I didn't see that.

I've got about 80km for three weeks. :oops:

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:53 am

Yes - add it all in, as per directions on the site. The same has applied in other years.

My basic trips to work in the three weeks so far, if I did it every day without any train legs, would have been around 260km and I do add in at least one train leg most days. I've done 452, so I am doing a fair bit of recreational as well as errands. I imagine this would be quite normal for those who post to this site.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

elStado

Postby elStado » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:12 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:Yes - add it all in, as per directions on the site. The same has applied in other years.

My basic trips to work in the three weeks so far, if I did it every day without any train legs, would have been around 260km and I do add in at least one train leg most days. I've done 452, so I am doing a fair bit of recreational as well as errands. I imagine this would be quite normal for those who post to this site.
In that case, rack it up!

I actually went for a purely recreational ride today around the Canning River (Nth side) foreshore to test out my bike after doing some maintenance on it. First time I have gone riding for the sake of riding, instead of commuting (which I enjoy anyway) in ages. Felt really good to go wherever I wanted, at my own pace and check out the area. It's strange I have lived in the area for a few years but have never gone for a ride around the river properly. It's nice riding without all the extra weight I normally have to carry too.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:27 pm

I can second (or is that third) that all kilometres are to be logged. Unfortunately, I didn't make it out the door for the peel-around-peel yesterday. That would have been another 250km for me. My k's this year have been pitiful. :(
<removed by request>

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:20 am

National Ride to Work Day is 13 October 2010, and it is a seperate registeration to Cycle in Spring. If you haven't registered for National Ride to Work Day, use this link, you can join my organistaion 'Where is the dedicated cycling lanes in Perth', Street Address 'Perth CBD', Suburb 'Perth' - and this will then link up with my registeration.

Note, and for additonal encourangement, you can sign up for a breakfast, which for Perth is Perth Concert Hall Forecourt, St Georges Terrace.

I'm sure the City of Perth won't mind us parking our bikes at their place as this is next door to the Perth Concert Hall Forecourt. Shame that they haven't installed any though. We might be able to lock them to the flag poles instead.

elStado

Postby elStado » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:56 am

rolandp wrote:National Ride to Work Day is 13 October 2010, and it is a seperate registeration to Cycle in Spring. If you haven't registered for National Ride to Work Day, use this link, you can join my organistaion 'Where is the dedicated cycling lanes in Perth', Street Address 'Perth CBD', Suburb 'Perth' - and this will then link up with my registeration.
Done. Although I am actually riding to Uni that day.
I'm sure the City of Perth won't mind us parking our bikes at their place as this is next door to the Perth Concert Hall Forecourt. Shame that they haven't installed any though. We might be able to lock them to the flag poles instead.
Good idea, do it.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:04 am

Well, after last week I need to rack up some more kms. But last night I popped my shoulder out a bit so just did the basic 10km or so today.

However I am feeling a lot better tonight so, if i get a good nights sleep I hope to see y'all on the Kwinana Freeway PSP. Apologies if I don't wave to you - but I expect I'll still keep the arm hidden in the sling.

GingaNinja

Postby GingaNinja » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:57 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:Well, after last week I need to rack up some more kms. But last night I popped my shoulder out a bit so just did the basic 10km or so today.

However I am feeling a lot better tonight so, if i get a good nights sleep I hope to see y'all on the Kwinana Freeway PSP. Apologies if I don't wave to you - but I expect I'll still keep the arm hidden in the sling.
I was wondering what happened to you. I thought a unicycle face plant might but not so. I was wondering what happened, I passed you this morning yelling out to you on the narrows bridge. A bit of a surprise to see your arm in a sling and thinking that this might be the true explanation for the low 17km last week.
Dave T.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:46 pm

GingaNinja wrote:I was wondering what happened to you. I thought a unicycle face plant might but not so. I was wondering what happened, I passed you this morning yelling out to you on the narrows bridge. A bit of a surprise to see your arm in a sling and thinking that this might be the true explanation for the low 17km last week.
Dave T.
I have a suspect right shoulder from my youth. It's been dislocated three times, each time requirign intervention to put it back in. It's been operated on twice inthe last several years but it is functioning OK. Occassionally though...

This time I was mounting my girafe (that's a tall unicyle). Mounting it does move the shoulder through the full range of movements while loaded with a large slab of my weight, all in quick time. Likely that at some point in the movement it tried to dislocate. Whatever, it hurt like hell and is getting a little TLC. It has to be good for the weekend after next.

Last week I was down at Bridgetown and there weren't many opportunities or places to do much riding. I had hoped otherwise.

GingaNinja

Postby GingaNinja » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:19 pm

while you found it difficult to log the Ks down at Bridgetown, I have gone from a high in week one to slowly dropping back the Ks each week.
Check out this dismal slide in vibrant colours at http://www.cycleinsteadinspring.com.au/ ... GingaNinja. Here is hoping I can make amends this week (although looks unlikely with family commitments). :)

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:17 am

Prize draw winners announced for Cycle Instead in Spring:
Major Prize Winners for 2010
The bicycle prize winners for the 2010 cycle instead in spring Bike to Work Challenge are:
Female Cyclist Category: Corne L - Shire of Busselton.
Corne wins an European Kronan 3-speed bike with wicker basket & lock.
Novice Cyclist Category: Bruno M - AllStars - Dep of Fisheries.
Bruno wins an Avanti bike & accessories pack, valued at $1000.
Male Cyclist Category: Alan M - Chafing at the Bit - Proteus EPCM Engineers
Alan wins an Avanti bike & accessories pack, valued at $1000.
Workplace Pool Bicycle: SKM
SKM wins a bicycle for their workplace.
Glamour Push National Ride to Work Day Prize Pack: Colleen D - City Slickers - City of Perth
Colleen wins a prize pack valued at $300.

Total of 660,600 km ridden in the 6 weeks, pretty impressive. Team 'Cycling Access' did 5,513km between the 5 of us, so thanks for those who rode.

elStado

Postby elStado » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:01 am

Damn.. I wanted a prize!

cavebear2

Postby cavebear2 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:59 pm

The 3 riders that did the most kms are all Audax riders and I know each of them. Are we obsessive or what? :lol:

BandedRail

Postby BandedRail » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:01 pm

cavebear2 wrote:The 3 riders that did the most kms are all Audax riders and I know each of them. Are we obsessive or what? :lol:
Yes, we certainly are :mrgreen:

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:21 am

Let me quess, cavebear2 was the highest, followed by BandedRail. Who was the 3rd?

Well done on your distances and number of rides.

cavebear2

Postby cavebear2 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:20 pm

rolandp wrote:Let me quess, cavebear2 was the highest, followed by BandedRail. Who was the 3rd?
Glen (Chuckchunder) of course!
Well done on your distances and number of rides.
Thanks, the end of the year is nigh though and this crazy push for distance is almost over. (No Bike journal for me next year - hooray!!) Well at least when I've finished the 600 this weekend, the 400 on the 4th Dec and the 300 on the 18th December.....it'll be time to celebrate Christmas and the new year by truly relaxing with some hard, fast & short rides (<100km) with the Saturday morning crew. Boy I'm looking forward to that! Then it'll be time to contemplate the ACE 250 at the Alpine Classic in Vic which is always enjoyable. :D

chuckchunder

Postby chuckchunder » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:22 pm

i do like to ride my tricycle......
"We have thousands of miles of cycling infrastructure, we just need to get the cars off them....." US advocate

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:01 pm

chuckchunder wrote:i do like to ride my tricycle......
I want one! :)
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810