and violence on Roe Hwy path

chuckchunder

and violence on Roe Hwy path

Postby chuckchunder » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:44 pm

baalzamon and I assisted a bloke on the Roe Hwy shared path behind Whaleback Golf Course tonight. He'd been king hit as he rode past a gentleman who had been drinking and needed transport home. Having broken the rider's nose the gentleman then made off with the rider's newly purchased black Giant hybrid.

Attempts to locate the gentleman were unsuccessful. The rider was conveyed to hostable by his good wife.

I didn't get the blokes details so will provide details of his injuries and bike recovery if I hear of them.

cheers

glen
"We have thousands of miles of cycling infrastructure, we just need to get the cars off them....." US advocate

rolandp

Re: and violence on Roe Hwy path

Postby rolandp » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:07 pm

I would not call the drunk a 'gentleman'. Hope the cyclist pulls through OK, the drunk is found and charges laid for violence and stealing.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:11 pm

chuckchunder wrote:baalzamon and I assisted a bloke on the Roe Hwy shared path behind Whaleback Golf Course tonight. He'd been king hit as he rode past a gentleman who had been drinking and needed transport home. Having broken the rider's nose the gentleman then made off with the rider's newly purchased black Giant hybrid.

Attempts to locate the gentleman were unsuccessful. The rider was conveyed to hostable by his good wife.

I didn't get the blokes details so will provide details of his injuries and bike recovery if I hear of them.

cheers

glen
That's pretty rough. Hope the bloke who was hit is ok. Thanks for posting too. I was planning on riding through there at dusk so will watch out.
<removed by request>

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:22 am

I was commuting home, just gone past Nicholson Rd and saw a cyclists cycling with one hand on bars and not cycling straight. Other arm was holding 3 bottles, one was coke, one was Bourbon, didn't recognize the other bottle, just gave him a wide berth due to his cycling line. Only noticed it was a cyclist with no helmet, apparently drunk and wearing long pants dark in colour with a jacket on. 200m get around corner and see someone on the ground with helmet next to him. Things started to click. Checked to see if he was good, found out the guy had hit him breaking his nose and stealing is bike that was less than 2 weeks old!
Turned around went back to Langford park with no sign of him. I was sprinting so there was no way he would have not been in my vision unless he turned off into Nicholson Rd.

Turned around and found chuck with him. Gave the bloke my details so I may hear from the police but I don't have much details. All I know is the bike was a Giant hybrid. Might have been a Giant Cross City 4, or a Cypress 2, didn't look at the bike due to the fellow riding it.

So make sure you give peds a wide berth, just wish my plans early in year to get a helmet cam had been done. Going to get my bike insurance next pay now due to this as that is my commute route. Might cycling into to Perth now and down the freeway path due to being safer.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

nimm

Postby nimm » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:47 am

jeez, hope they can get the perp :(
/ Giant OCR / Go Vegan /

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:55 am

:shock:

I witnessed this bloke walking past the Whaleback, whilst heading eastwards - I am pretty sure I passed Baalzamon shortly afterwards, between Spencer Ave & Nicholson, catching a glimpse of his Masi.

Approaching the guy from behind I only noticed him walking a bit erratically, and with a 2/3 empty bottle of Coke. He saw me approaching and sorta over corrected to the left, almost coming into the path of someone heading Westwards. I remember thinking "one to to avoided for sure... " I must've avoided the fracas by a minute or so. :| Sorry I couldn't have helped.

PM me if I can offer further witness assistance.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

sinnes

Postby sinnes » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:22 am

Hey guys. Someone sent me the link to this so I signed up!

I was riding the on Roe Hwy between Nicholson and South St from about 5:20 last night. I think it was a bit after Willeri drive I saw some guy stumbling towards me with a coke bottle and a stupid grin. I honestly thought he looked a bit "special" and didn't assume he was drunk. He was walking up the left side of the bike path when I went by. Reckon that's the same guy?

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:34 am

I think you saw the perp definitely. Was only 10-15mins later I saw him on the bike.

chuckchunder

Postby chuckchunder » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:48 pm

not so likely to catch the gentleman now, local gendarmes were aware last night but he would have changed his clothes and may even have bothered to shave by now..........if he's sobered up enough......

best bet for catching him now would be for the rider to report the incident with the frame number of his bike, that way if he hocks it or the gentleman is stopped while riding it (and the gendarmes check - this happens frequently at 2am!) the bike may be recovered and the gentleman identified....maybe......possibly.......but at least he'd get his bike back

have to say, i have ridden this path at all times of the day and night since before it opened and never had a problem. unlike the bloke with the baseball bat at McIver this didn't sound premeditated in any way, seems the gentleman just took the opportunity to grab a free ride home......scumbag
"We have thousands of miles of cycling infrastructure, we just need to get the cars off them....." US advocate

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:55 pm

Well I've been contacted by Cannington police now. They will get my local mob to give me a ring now. At least this has been reported.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:34 pm

chuckchunder wrote:have to say, i have ridden this path at all times of the day and night since before it opened and never had a problem. unlike the bloke with the baseball bat at McIver this didn't sound premeditated in any way, seems the gentleman just took the opportunity to grab a free ride home......scumbag
+1. I got the impression it was just an oppurtunistic attack by an inebriated moron. He was staggering home or wherever, got fed up with walking and with all the cyclists going past he gets some inspiration and smacks the next poor bugger that's alone/smaller than him/etc etc.

It's not stopping me riding that way. I did the same stretch at pretty much the same time today. The Roe H'way Path in the afternoon, with the Sea breeze (sorry to gloat Baalzamon) is one of the nicest stretches I do with any regularity.
--

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:59 pm

HappyHumber wrote:
chuckchunder wrote:have to say, i have ridden this path at all times of the day and night since before it opened and never had a problem. unlike the bloke with the baseball bat at McIver this didn't sound premeditated in any way, seems the gentleman just took the opportunity to grab a free ride home......scumbag
+1. I got the impression it was just an oppurtunistic attack by an inebriated moron. He was staggering home or wherever, got fed up with walking and with all the cyclists going past he gets some inspiration and smacks the next poor bugger that's alone/smaller than him/etc etc.

It's not stopping me riding that way. I did the same stretch at pretty much the same time today. The Roe H'way Path in the afternoon, with the Sea breeze (sorry to gloat Baalzamon) is one of the nicest stretches I do with any regularity.
Well you have an easy ride and I get stronger from the headwinds :P
Morning = headwind
Afternoon = headwind

GregW

Postby GregW » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:56 pm

I run that section regularly, but last night turned at the Willeri Dr. tunnel.
On a ride through that area a week or so ago, around 1700hrs,. my wife and I saw a shady character sitting near the Nicholson Rd overpass.
He certainly was or had been on something.
Just as a point of interest, if he had recently purchased the coke and bourbon, it probably would have been at an outlet not too far away.
If he was already pissed, it was probably at a pub/bottleshop setup.
May be worth talking the cops into questioning outlets in a 1km radius.

crazycanuck

Postby crazycanuck » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:09 pm

-I live accross from Langford Sports ground & am happy to keep my eye out for it. Just an FYI..N my description might be a bit odd..Anywho..

As you're cycling along the Roe hwy path right before the sports ground, turn left into the dead end street and follow it until you come to wingrove road. There are some interesting individuals on that particular street that have caused problems before for our neighbourhood.

The nearest pub/drive through bottle store to langford sports ground is at the corner of wingrove and langford ave-pretty easy to spot-endless broken glass...not good for doggies walkin in the area :cry:

The closest police station is-Canning Vale-accross the Roe Highway & by the next roundabout you come to.

If you ever have any issues when riding that way-pm me & i'll give our number.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:49 pm

:shock: Thanks for the even more local insight, Crazy.

My more "default" route is turning off at Nicholson Rd, and have only added beyond there heading eastwards to my homeward commute over the last year or so. Quite frankly - it's that stretch between Nicholson & the Spencer overpass that has worried me the most because of the Centrelink fauna predominant in them there parts.... Y'know.. tell-tale signs like strangers telling you to "Get fuct!!" and stuff like that.
--

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:48 am

[Davd Attenborough voice-over]

Like bowerbirds, the nest of Housing Commissionus Centrelinkus is readily identified by the decoration and adornments in the immediate surrounds. Teltales include the decaying two-seater couch placed in a position of prominence on the front porch, followed by the glass recycling crate full of empty VB stubbies left out on Tuesday nights.

Its preferred habitat is distinguished by metal mesh fencing known as "cyclone fencing" and a complete absence of garden or flower beds. The collection of unregistered and non-functional cars in the front yard is common among males of the species. The purpose of this display is yet to be discovered, as it appears to ineffective in attracting members of the opposite sex to the nest.

[/Davd Attenborough voice-over]

Blogsy

Postby Blogsy » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:38 am

HappyHumber wrote::shock: Thanks for the even more local insight, Crazy.

My more "default" route is turning off at Nicholson Rd, and have only added beyond there heading eastwards to my homeward commute over the last year or so. Quite frankly - it's that stretch between Nicholson & the Spencer overpass that has worried me the most because of the Centrelink fauna predominant in them there parts.... Y'know.. tell-tale signs like strangers telling you to "Get fuct!!" and stuff like that.
+1, I commute from home in Atwell to Cannington alot and usually at the same time most evenings. Along the river to Nicholson Road has quite often had strange people that look like they are upto no good, I think it was this same stretch of path that my mother who was cycling from Canning Vale to Forrestfield was confronted with a high speed chase between a stolen car and the police about 2-3 years ago. Fortunately for her, the close call has not dampened her passion for cycling.

RodneyOlsen

Postby RodneyOlsen » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:10 pm

It's probably unrelated but several times over the last week I've noticed a guy sitting on the bench/sculpture half way between Willeri Drive and South Street on the Roe Highway path with a beer in hand and a Giant leant against the 'lamp post'.

I head through there around 4:30 each afternoon and he's been there several days in a row.
Image Image

elStado

Postby elStado » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:29 pm

That's a but rough. Hope the guy is recovering OK. Pretty bad experience.

Look on the bright side though, maybe this is a good opportunity to get a better bike and not a hybrid... :mrgreen:

I have often worried about some dawg pulling a stunt like that on me, just the other day actually I rode past a dodgy looking guy along a isolated bike path in Como. I remember thinking how screwed I would be if he suddenly king hit me just as I was passing him doing 25kmph.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

Cav

Postby Cav » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:41 pm

Is the bike a black and red giant?

I have some friends that live in ferndale and I have noticed an unsual cyclist riding past ferndale shops (cnr lynwood ave + metcalfe rd)

The reason I say unusual is because a flannelette and thongs aren't proper cycling gear.

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:48 pm

Nothing wrong with flannies or thongs! :P Especially while riding a BSO to a 'derilecte' party ;)
Bike Friday New World Tourist, Schwinn Le Tour Sport, Giant TCR, Giant STP2, 9:zero:7 fattie

BandedRail

Postby BandedRail » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:55 pm

:? Ummm, is it just me or is that post badly disguised spam? :?

EDIT: Post this referred to has now been removed - thanks mods :D
Last edited by BandedRail on Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rcmkII

Postby rcmkII » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:44 pm

Yup, they're googlebombing.
Riding and writing my way to health and happiness.

elStado

Postby elStado » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:17 pm

How long is it going to take a mod to fix this?
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:32 pm

Sorry guys. Other things to do and didn't sit down until just now. Thanks for reporting it though.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....