Perth rides lately

rollin66

Re: Perth rides lately

Postby rollin66 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:49 am

wizzfizz wrote:Anyone catch this guy out and about?
That passenger is not wearing a helmet :wink: :wink: :wink:

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:11 pm

Trundled into town with the boy last night to catch a Fringe show in the carpark under the urban orchard, Mega Deluxe Wheel Deal.

It defies explanation but was worth a look just for the 4-person tricycle kitchen setup - the show itself was a little more shambolic even than you'd expect; being besieged by tech foibles - and the vege garden beds in the orchard that the provisions were meant to be coming from apparently got pulled up and replanted during the afternoon, which they hadn't been clued in on until the last minute. Hilarious for a few of the wrong reasons but nonetheless a worthy retort to people who say nothing interesting happens in Perth ...

Then got sprayed down by a wayward sprinkler on the Burswood golf course on the way home :|
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:45 pm

rollin66 wrote:
That passenger is not wearing a helmet :wink: :wink: :wink:
That's not a guy. That's Nikki. The penguin goes everywhere with her.

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 18&t=15683

John

wexford

Postby wexford » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:30 pm

Perth to Mandurah this morning, slight SE breeze coming at me but otherwise fairly cruisy.

Heading back in the midday heat, now that was just crap even with the tail wind. By the 120km mark I was struggling and hopped on the train at Cockburn Central to finish off the return to Perth and rode back home from there.

Lessons...check for missing sunscreen spots on the legs before heading out, and have a decent feed at the halfway point instead of trying to turn right around and head back!

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:17 am

WINDY MORNING :) :)

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:51 am

wexford wrote:Perth to Mandurah this morning, slight SE breeze coming at me ...
Then that huge pile of glass on the PSP just north of Thomas Rd has been cleared? I came across it on Friday night, a whole carton plus a six pack complete with plastic wrapper still, smashed and strewn all across the path and even my Gatorskins thought not to ride through. Don't really want to carry a broom with me for the next trip down yobbo way.

wexford

Postby wexford » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:16 pm

just4tehhalibut wrote:
wexford wrote:Perth to Mandurah this morning, slight SE breeze coming at me ...
Then that huge pile of glass on the PSP just north of Thomas Rd has been cleared?
Nasty! No, I don't remember seeing that in either direction. The path was clear all the way apart from some sand here and there. Even the Canning Bridge underpass was free of bogan droppings :D

Mrfenejeans

Postby Mrfenejeans » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:10 pm

I wasn't riding this morning but Driving north on the Kwinana around 10.30am, saw a group of 40/50+ riders on the PSP sprawled out into smaller sub groups all dressed in similar yellow shirts, and was amazed that in almost every subgroup they were generally riding 2 abreast.

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:37 pm

yeh that's the oldies group they are a pain but normally just crawling along.

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk

Mattheq

Postby Mattheq » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:21 am

Riding down the PSP near Glendalough station last night when I came across a cyclist literally sitting on a very irate pedestrian. I stopped to render assistance where it might be warranted, asking if they were ok.

The cyclist looked up at me and in an exasperated voice, said, "No, I'm not!" Apparently said pedestrian jumped out onto the shared path and flagged the cyclist down, then proceeded to try to start a fight. A good samaratin in a vechile stopped and called the police for assistance, but while on his phone to the Boys in Blue, the pedestrian got loose and started chasing him, swearing at the driver for calling for assistance. He then rewarded the driver by (unsuccessfully) trying to smash the windows on his car. He then scarpered back into Glendalough station.

Just before the Police arrived, another pedestrian arrived and was commiserating with the "back luck" the cyclist had endured. Once the Police arrived, the second pedestrian thought it appropriate to start swearing at them "because I don't like cops."

Anyone would be forgiven for thinking it's a full moon ...
2011 Giant CrossCity 1
2011 Giant XtC 29er 1

Karati

Postby Karati » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:44 am

Perth definately has more crazies per head of population than any other city in the world!

fixed

Postby fixed » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:11 pm

No different than any other place in the world. Maybe its just the people you hang out with?
The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine.

Karati

Postby Karati » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:25 am

fixed wrote:No different than any other place in the world. Maybe its just the people you hang out with?
Ha ha you are probably right! :lol:

johnny99

Postby johnny99 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:20 pm

A great ride today. Caversham to East Perth along the railway line. Over the bridge then followed the path past Burswood and through South Perth to the narrows. Back along riverside drive across the causeway back to Windan bridge and home. Had to add a few kms at the end as I had never ridden 50kms in one go and I figured if I had ridden 45 I may as well make it 50. Had a nice breeze behind me for the last few kms as well.

Mrfenejeans

Postby Mrfenejeans » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:05 pm

Had a good 76km ride after work this afternoon although encountered Caltrops around Ocean Reef Rd PSP, i went through this area twice and got a flat both times. :evil: Nothing from all the glass and other things on the 70kms worth of road i was on the rest of the ride.

johnny99

Postby johnny99 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:39 am

A lovely morning for a ride out through the swan valley. Went GNH then Oakover rd to Campersic rd. Followed this to Hadrill Rd where I made my first attempt on Weir Rd. Made it about 500m up then turned around and headed home down Haddrill rd to Great Northern Hwy then home to Caversham. Quite a few cyclists taking advantage of the public holiday to get out and about. Aiming to do this loop at least once a week and increase my climbing each week.

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:25 pm

johnny99 wrote:A lovely morning for a ride out through the swan valley. Went GNH then Oakover rd to Campersic rd. Followed this to Hadrill Rd where I made my first attempt on Weir Rd. Made it about 500m up then turned around and headed home down Haddrill rd to Great Northern Hwy then home to Caversham. Quite a few cyclists taking advantage of the public holiday to get out and about. Aiming to do this loop at least once a week and increase my climbing each week.
Was out that way myself this morning was a bit heated on the way home.

MM

HLC

Postby HLC » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:18 pm

Been smashing the km's lately myself, heaps of people out over the last few days! Rounded plenty of roadies up on Sat and Sun who weren't too happy but whatever!

If anyone see's me riding, give me a wave. I ride a fluro green classic pursuit (track bike). Has a steep forward sloping top-tube. Have to run it with riser bars because it's just to heinous for anything longer than about 5 meters with drops.

Plus, with that much saddle to bar drop I have no leverage on the road and can't pull the thing up! I'm usually in full kit unless I'm going to the pub with a couple of bidons hanging off the saddle! Great weather out there!

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:22 pm

If I recall correctly (oh, I do) it's this girl- Nicky Armstrong, to be correct. See this thread for more.

ps - went for a ride round the river this morning. Saw that a bunch westbound on the river just west of Leewin barracks had had a fall (or two). Hope all are OK!
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

johnny99

Postby johnny99 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:43 pm

Hey Marty I was out early and got home before it got too warm.

HLC

Postby HLC » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:56 pm

Thoglette wrote:
If I recall correctly (oh, I do) it's this girl- Nicky Armstrong, to be correct. See this thread for more.

ps - went for a ride round the river this morning. Saw that a bunch westbound on the river just west of Leewin barracks had had a fall (or two). Hope all are OK!
I know one of the SPR groups had a fall and ended in a broken collar bone and some other minor injuries. Due to some newly installed bollard/kerb/speedhump/mis-judging a gap around freo way near the river. Could have been these guys.

cavebear2

Postby cavebear2 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:01 am

Don't worry about the heat! :?

Went for a ride yesterday from Maylands to Mundaring to Pickering Brook to Karragullen to Kalamunda to Maylands.
1943m of ascent, 117km at 27.2 kmh avg. Max. 36.3 deg min 31 deg. Consumed 5.0 L of fluid.

Today Maylands to Mundijong Rd & return. (cycle path most of the way) 103km at 30.03 kmh avg. Max 38.0 Min 34 deg. Consumed 4.5 litres of fluid, all carried on bike (3 L hydration kit plus 2 bidons) didn't stop.

Who said it was hot? :)

roller

Postby roller » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:58 pm

cavebear2 wrote:Don't worry about the heat! :?

Went for a ride yesterday from Maylands to Mundaring to Pickering Brook to Karragullen to Kalamunda to Maylands.
1943m of ascent, 117km at 27.2 kmh avg. Max. 36.3 deg min 31 deg. Consumed 5.0 L of fluid.

Who said it was hot? :)
ME!

we did bayswater-mundaring-pickering brook-maylands (chapel's on whatley)-bayswater-cold bath yesterday (about 105-ish kms), heat was crazy!

only 1000m of climbing for us though, baby ride compared to yours.

so where's this karragullen place then? :twisted:
inflammatory statement or idea

kayrehn

Postby kayrehn » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:13 pm

HLC wrote: I know one of the SPR groups had a fall and ended in a broken collar bone and some other minor injuries. Due to some newly installed bollard/kerb/speedhump/mis-judging a gap around freo way near the river.
I was in the second group behind the faster ones, and that stretch was treacherous to say the least. There's a big hump just installed, and anyone who tried to slip through on its sides might have their handlebars snagged by the barriers separating the bike lane and the road. A group going two abreast definitely have to slow down for the hump or else go into single file on the bike lane.

Pravda

Postby Pravda » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:34 pm

Felt like I was leading Cav's sprint leadout this morning coming along Mounts Bay Rd into the wind this morning. Ended up with 3 bikes sucking my wind by the time I was going past Swan Brewery, surely there's some kind of etiquette regarding sharing the work?
Ended up sprinting off and leaving them behind just after the brewery.
2014 Canyon Aerode SLX
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX